- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 894869, 12 pages
PERCEPT Indoor Navigation System for the Blind and Visually Impaired: Architecture and Experimentation
1Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
2Department of Public Health, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
3Massachusetts Commission for the Blind, Executive Office of Health and Human Services, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Received 24 May 2012; Revised 31 October 2012; Accepted 4 November 2012
Academic Editor: Y. L. Hsu
Copyright © 2012 Aura Ganz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Pascolini and S. P. M. Mariotti, “Global estimates of visual impairment,” British Journal Ophthalmology, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 614–618, 2011.
- Lighthouse International, http://www.lighthouse.org/research/statistics-on-vision-impairment/prevalence-of-vision-impairment/.
- “American Diabetes Association: Diabetes Statistics,” 2011, http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/.
- Department of Veteran Affairs Low Vision Rehabilitation, http://www.va.gov/OPTOMETRY/Low_Vision_Rehabilitation.asp.
- R. G. Golledge, R. L. Klatzky, and J. M. Loomis, “Cognitive mapping and wayfinding by adults without vision,” in The Construction of Cognitive Maps, J. Portugali, Ed., vol. 33, pp. 215–246, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1996.
- D. W. Tuttle and N. R. Tuttle, Self-Esteem and Adjusting with Blindness: The Process of Responding to Life's Demands, Charles C. Thomas Publisher LTD, 2nd edition, 1996.
- B. Donohue, R. Acierno, M. Hersen, and V. B. Van Hasselt, “Social skills training for depressed, visually impaired older adults: a treatment manual,” Behavior Modification, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 379–424, 1995.
- A. Horowitz and J. P. Reinhardt, “Development of the adaptation to age-related vision loss scale,” Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 30–41, 1998.
- A. Horowitz, “Depression and Vision and Hearing Impairments in Later Life,” Generations, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 2003.
- M. Z. H. Noor, I. Ismail, and M. F. Saaid, “Bus detection device for the blind using RFID application,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Colloquium on Signal Processing and Its Applications (CSPA '09), pp. 247–249, March 2009.
- S. Chumkamon, P. Tuvaphanthaphiphat, and P. Keeratiwintakorn, “A blind navigation system using RFID for indoor environments,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON '08), pp. 765–768, May 2008.
- E. Di Giampaolo, “A passive-RFID based indoor navigation system for visually impaired people,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Applied Sciences in Biomedical and Communication Technologies (ISABEL '10), pp. 1–5, November 2010.
- R. Ivanov, “Indoor navigation system for visually impaired,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Computer Systems and Technologies (CompSysTech '10), pp. 143–149, June 2010.
- A. Ganz, S. R. Gandhi, C. Wilson, and G. Mullett, “INSIGHT: RFID and Bluetooth enabled automated space for the blind and visually impaired,” in Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 331–334, Boston, Mass, USA, 2010.
- A. Darvishy, H. P. Hutter, P. Früh, A. Horvath, and D. Berner, “Personal mobile assistant for air passengers with disabilities (PMA),” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Computers Helping People with Special Needs (ICCHPS '08), vol. 5105, pp. 1129–1134, 2008.
- J. Coughlan and R. Manduchi, “Functional assessment of a camera phone-based wayfinding system operated by blind and visually impaired users,” International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 379–397, 2009.
- R. Bostelman, P. Russo, J. Albus, T. Hong, and R. Madhavan, “Applications of a 3D range camera towards healthcare mobility aids,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC '06), pp. 416–421, April 2006.
- H. Fernandes, P. Costa, V. Filipe, L. Hadjileontiadis, and J. Barroso, “Stereo vision in blind navigation assistance,” in Proceedings of the World Automation Congress (WAC '10), pp. 1–6, September 2010.
- R. Manduchi, S. Kurniawan, and H. Bagherinia, “Blind guidance using mobile computer vision: a usability study,” in Proceedings of the 12th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility (ASSETS '10), pp. 241–242, October 2010.
- A. Brilhault, S. Kammoun, O. Gutierrez, P. Truillet, and C. Jouffrais, “Fusion of artificial vision and GPS to improve blind pedestrian positioning,” in Proceedings of the 4th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS '11), pp. 1–5, February 2011.
- A. Ganz, J. Schafer, S. Gandhi et al., “PERCEPT: indoor navigation for the blind and visually impaired,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference in IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 856–859, Boston, Mass, USA, 2011.
- “ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities,” 2012, http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/.
- A. Ganz, J. Schafer, E. Puleo, C. Wilson, and M. Robertson, “Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of PERCEPT indoor navigation system for visually impaired users,” in Proceedings of the 34th Annual International Conference in IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, San Diego, Calif, USA, September 2012.