- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Vascular Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 862504, 4 pages
The Effect of Alcohol on Postprandial and Fasting Triglycerides
Department of Internal Medicine, Meander Medical Center, Utrechtseweg 160, 3818 ES Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Received 7 July 2011; Accepted 1 August 2011
Academic Editor: Kathleen M. Botham
Copyright © 2012 Albert Van de Wiel. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Brunzell, “Hypertriglyceridemia,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 10, pp. 1009–1017, 2007.
- A. van de Wiel and D. W. de Lange, “Cardiovascular risk is more related to drinking pattern than to the type of alcoholic drinks,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 467–473, 2008.
- A. L. Klatsky, “Alcohol and cardiovascular mortality: common sense and scientific truth,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 55, no. 13, pp. 1336–1338, 2010.
- K. Bessembinders, J. Wielders, and A. van de Wiel, “Severe hypertriglyceridemia influenced by alcohol (SHIBA),” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 113–116, 2011.
- E. Baraona and C. S. Lieber, “Effects of ethanol on lipid metabolism,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 289–315, 1979.
- E. Baraona, R. C. Pirola, and C. S. Lieber, “Pathogenesis of postprandial hyperlipemia in rats fed ethanol-containing diets,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 296–303, 1973.
- M. J. Savolainen, E. Baraona, M. A. Leo, and C. S. Lieber, “Pathogenesis of the hypertriglyceridemia at early stages of alcoholic liver injury in the baboon,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1073–1083, 1986.
- C. Daher, R. Slaiby, N. Haddad, K. Boustany, and G. Baroody, “Effect of acute and chronic moderate red or white wine consumption on fasted and postprandial lipemia in the rat,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health. Part A, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 1117–1131, 2006.
- J. Schneider, A. Liesenfeld, and R. Mordasini, “Lipoprotein fractions, lipoprotein lipase and hepatic triglyceride lipase during short-term and long-term uptake of ethanol in healthy subjects,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 57, no. 2-3, pp. 281–291, 1985.
- J. S. Wilson, M. A. Korsten, P. W. Colley, and R. C. Pirola, “Decrease in lipogenesis and glucose oxidation of rat adipose tissue after chronic ethanol feeding,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 2025–2028, 1986.
- L. Kang, X. Chen, B. M. Sebastian et al., “Chronic ethanol and triglyceride turnover in white adipose tissue in rats: inhibition of the anti-lipolytic action of insulin after chronic ethanol contributes to increased triglyceride degradation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 39, pp. 28465–28473, 2007.
- S. A. Borowsky, W. Perlow, E. Baraona, and C. S. Lieber, “Relationship of alcoholic hypertriglyceridemia to stage of liver disease and dietary lipid,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 1980.
- J. García-Villafranca, A. Guillén, and J. Castro, “Ethanol consumption impairs regulation of fatty acid metabolism by decreasing the activity of AMP-activated protein kinase in rat liver,” Biochimie, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 460–466, 2008.
- C. S. Lieber, Q. Cao, L. M. Decarli et al., “Role of medium-chain triglycerides in the alcohol-mediated cytochrome P450 2E1 induction of mitochondria,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1660–1668, 2007.
- S. Wada, T. Yamazaki, Y. Kawano, S. Miura, and O. Ezaki, “Fish oil fed prior to ethanol administration prevents acute ethanol-induced fatty liver in mice,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 441–450, 2008.
- J. R. Barson, O. Karatayev, G. Q. Chang et al., “Positive relationship between dietary fat, ethanol intake, triglycerides, and hypothalamic peptides: counteraction by lipid-lowering drugs,” Alcohol, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 433–441, 2009.
- J. Veenstra, T. Ockhuizen, H. Van De Pol, M. Wedel, and G. Schaafsma, “Effects of a moderate dose of alcohol on blood lipids and lipoproteins postprandially and in the fasting state,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 371–377, 1990.
- A. Van Tol, M. S. Van Der Gaag, L. M. Scheek, T. Van Gent, and H. F. J. Hendriks, “Changes in postprandial lipoproteins of low and high density caused by moderate alcohol consumption with dinner,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. S101–S103, 1998.
- M. S. Van Der Gaag, A. Sierksma, G. Schaafsma et al., “Moderate alcohol consumption and changes in postprandial lipoproteins of premenopausal and postmenopausal women: a diet-controlled, randomized intervention study,” Journal of Women's Health and Gender-Based Medicine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 607–616, 2000.
- H. F. J. Hendriks, M. R. T. Van Haaren, R. Leenen, and G. Schaafsma, “Moderate alcohol consumption and postprandial plasma lipids in men with different risks for coronary heart disease,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 563–570, 2001.
- M. S. El-Sayed and M. F. Al-Bayatti, “Effects of alcohol ingestion following exercise on postprandial lipemia,” Alcohol, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2001.
- G. H. Hartung, S. J. Lawrence, R. S. Reeves, and J. P. Foreyt, “Effect of alcohol and exercise on postprandial lipemia and triglyceride clearance in men,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 1993.
- G. Franceschini, Y. Moreno, P. Apebe et al., “Alterations in high-density lipoprotein subfractions during postprandial lipidaemia induced by fat with and without ethanol,” Clinical Science, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 135–142, 1988.
- H. J. Pownall, “Dietary ethanol is associated with reduced lipolysis of intestinally derived lipoproteins,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 2105–2113, 1994.
- B. A. Fielding, G. Reid, M. Grady, S. M. Humphreys, K. Evans, and K. N. Frayn, “Ethanol with a mixed meal increases postprandial triacylglycerol but decreases postprandial non-esterified fatty acid concentrations,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 597–604, 2000.
- M. Dalgaard, C. Thomsen, B. M. Rasmussen, J. J. Holst, and K. Hermansen, “Ethanol with a mixed meal decreases the incretin levels early postprandially and increases postprandial lipemia in type 2 diabetic patients,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 77–83, 2004.
- K. A. Volcik, C. M. Ballantyne, F. D. Fuchs, A. R. Sharrett, and E. Boerwinkle, “Relationship of alcohol consumption and type of alcoholic beverage consumed with plasma lipid levels: differences between Whites and African Americans of the ARIC study,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 101–107, 2008.
- V. Rakic, I. B. Puddey, S. B. Dimmitt, V. Burke, and L. J. Beilin, “A controlled trial of the effects of pattern of alcohol intake on serum lipid levels in regular drinkers,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 243–252, 1998.
- H. J. Pownall, C. M. Ballantyne, K. T. Kimball, S. L. Simpson, D. Yeshurun, and A. M. Gotto, “Effect of moderate alcohol consumption on hypertriglyceridemia: a study in the fasting state,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 159, no. 9, pp. 981–987, 1999.
- D. W. De Lange and A. Van De Wiel, “Drink to prevent: review on the cardioprotective mechanisms of alcohol and red wine polyphenols,” Seminars in Vascular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 173–186, 2004.
- E. A. Brinton, “Effects of ethanol intake on lipoproteins and atherosclerosis,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 346–351, 2010.