- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Vascular Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 898052, 11 pages
The Natural History and Treatment Options for Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms
1Department of Neurological Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
2Department of Radiology, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
3Department of Neurology & Neuroscience, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
Received 15 August 2011; Revised 27 November 2011; Accepted 5 December 2011
Academic Editor: Mario Zuccarello
Copyright © 2012 Joshua E. Loewenstein et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Burns, J. Huston 3rd, K. F. Layton, D. G. Piepgras, and R. D. Brown Jr., “Intracranial aneurysm enlargement on serial magnetic resonance angiography: frequency and risk factors,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 406–411, 2009.
- J. D. Burns and R. D. Brown Jr., “Treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: surgery, coiling, or nothing?” Current neurology and neuroscience reports, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 6–12, 2009.
- J. P. Broderick, T. Brott, T. Tomsick, R. Miller, and G. Huster, “Intracerebral hemorrhage more than twice as common as subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 188–191, 1993.
- R. Fogelholm, J. Hernesniemi, and M. Vapalahti, “Impact of early surgery on outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. A population-based study,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1649–1654, 1993.
- D. T. Laskowitz and B. J. Kolls, “Neuroprotection in subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Stroke, vol. 41, supplement 10, pp. S79–S84, 2010.
- G. Lanzino, P. I. D'Urso, and M. Tymianski, “Advances in vascular neurosurgery 2010,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 288–290, 2011.
- “Unruptured intracranial aneurysms—risk of rupture and risks of surgical intervention. International Study of Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms Investigators,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 339, no. 24, pp. 1725–1733, 1998.
- D. O. Wiebers, J. P. Whisnant, J. Huston 3rd, et al., “Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: natural history, clinical outcome, and risks of surgical and endovascular treatment,” Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9378, pp. 103–110, 2003.
- T. Ishibashi, Y. Murayama, M. Urashima et al., “Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: incidence of rupture and risk factors,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 313–316, 2009.
- N. Yasui, S. Magarisawa, A. Suzuki, H. Nishimura, T. Okudera, and T. Abe, “Subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by previously diagnosed, previously unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a retrospective analysis of 25 cases,” Neurosurgery, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1096–1100, 1996.
- S. Matsubara, H. Hadeishi, A. Suzuki, N. Yasui, and H. Nishimura, “Incidence and risk factors for the growth of unruptured cerebral aneurysms: observation using serial computerized tomography angiography,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 908–914, 2004.
- B. Weir, L. Disney, and T. Karrison, “Sizes of ruptured and unruptured aneurysms in relation to their sites and the ages of patients,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 64–70, 2002.
- M. J. Wermer, I. C. van der Schaaf, A. Algra, and G. J. Rinkel, “Risk of rupture of unruptured intracranial aneurysms in relation to patient and aneurysm characteristics: an updated meta-analysis,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1404–1410, 2007.
- M. J. Kupersmith, R. Hurst, A. Berenstein, I. S. Choi, J. Jafar, and J. Ransohoff, “The benign course of cavernous carotid artery aneurysms,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 690–693, 1992.
- G. J. Hademenos, T. F. Massoud, F. Turjman, and J. W. Sayre, “Anatomical and morphological factors correlating with rupture of intracranial aneurysms in patients referred for endovascular treatment,” Neuroradiology, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 755–760, 1998.
- J. Beck, S. Rohde, M. El Beltagy et al., “Difference in configuration of ruptured and unruptured intracranial aneurysms determined by biplanar digital subtraction angiography,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 145, no. 10, pp. 861–865, 2003.
- S. Dhar, M. Tremmel, J. Mocco et al., “Morphology parameters for intracranial aneurysm rupture risk assessment,” Neurosurgery, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 185–196, 2008.
- M. L. Raghavan, B. Ma, and R. E. Harbaugh, “Quantified aneurysm shape and rupture risk,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 355–362, 2005.
- B. V. Nahed, M. L. DiLuna, T. Morgan et al., “Hypertension, age, and location predict rupture of small intracranial aneurysms,” Neurosurgery., vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 676–683, 2005.
- S. Juvela, K. Poussa, and M. Porras, “Factors affecting formation and growth of intracranial aneurysms: a long-term follow-up study,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 485–491, 2001.
- J. Raymond, “Incidental intracranial aneurysms: rationale for treatment,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2009.
- T. Inagawa and A. Hirano, “Autopsy study of unruptured incidental intracranial aneurysms,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 361–365, 1990.
- H. P. Lai, K. M. Cheng, S. C. Yu et al., “Size, location, and multiplicity of ruptured intracranial aneurysms in the Hong Kong Chinese population with subarachnoid haemorrhage,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 262–266, 2009.
- J. A. Jane, H. R. Winn, and A. E. Richardson, “The natural history of intracranial aneurysms: rebleeding rates during the acute and long term period and implication for surgical management,” Clinical Neurosurgery, vol. 24, pp. 176–184, 1977.
- H. B. Locksley, “Natural history of subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracranial aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations. Based on 6368 cases in the cooperative study,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 219–239, 1966.
- H. Ujiie, H. Tachibana, O. Hiramatsu et al., “Effects of size and shape (aspect ratio) on the hemodynamics of saccular aneurysms: a possible index for surgical treatment of intracranial aneurysms,” Neurosurgery, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 119–129, 1999.
- R. R. Lall, C. S. Eddleman, B. R. Bendok, and H. H. Batjer, “Unruptured intracranial aneurysms and the assessment of rupture risk based on anatomical and morphological factors: sifting through the sands of data,” Neurosurgical focus, vol. 26, no. 5, p. E2, 2009.
- T. Sadatomo, K. Yuki, K. Migita, E. Taniguchi, Y. Kodama, and K. Kurisu, “Morphological differences between ruptured and unruptured cases in middle cerebral artery aneurysms,” Neurosurgery, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 602–609, 2008.
- R. P. Kivisaari, M. Porras, J. Öhman, J. Siironen, K. Ishii, and J. Hernesniemi, “Routine cerebral angiography after surgery for saccular aneurysms: is it worth it?” Neurosurgery, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1015–1024, 2004.
- T. Lee, M. Baytion, R. Sciacca, J. P. Mohr, and J. Pile-Spellman, “Aggregate analysis of the literature for unruptured intracranial aneurysm treatment,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1902–1908, 2005.
- A. F. Krisht, J. Gomez, and S. Partington, “Outcome of surgical clipping of unruptured aneurysms as it compares with a 10-year nonclipping survival period,” Neurosurgery, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 207–216, 2006.
- E. S. Nussbaum, M. T. Madison, M. E. Myers, and J. Goddard, “Microsurgical treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms. A consecutive surgical experience consisting of 450 aneurysms treated in the endovascular era,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 457–464, 2007.
- E.-W. Jang, J.-Y. Jung, C.-K. Hong, and J.-Y. Joo, “Benefits of surgical treatment for unruptured intracranial aneurysms in elderly patients,” Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2011.
- D. Chyatte and R. Porterfield, “Functional outcome after repair of unruptured intracranial aneurysms,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 417–421, 2001.
- R. A. Solomon, S. A. Mayer, and J. J. Tarmey, “Relationship between the volume of craniotomies for cerebral aneurysm performed at New York State hospitals and in-hospital mortality,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 1996.
- F. G. Barker 2nd, S. Amin-Hanjani, W. E. Butler et al., “In-hospital mortality and morbidity after surgical treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms in the United States, 1996-2000: the effect of hospital and surgeon volume,” Neurosurgery, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 995–1007, 2003.
- G. Guglielmi, F. Vinuela, J. Dion, and G. Duckwiler, “Electrothrombosis of saccular aneurysms via endovascular approach. Part 2: preliminary clinical experience,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 1991.
- G. Guglielmi, F. Vinuela, I. Sepetka, and V. Macellari, “Electrothrombosis of saccular aneurysms via endovascular approach. Part 1: electrochemical basis, technique, and experimental results,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1991.
- H. Moyle and A. B. Patel, “Intracranial aneurysms: endovascular treatment,” Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 279–285, 2010.
- E. H. Brilstra, G. J. Rinkel, Y. van der Graaf, W. J. van Rooij, and A. Algra, “Treatment of intracranial aneurysms by embolization with coils: a systematic review,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 470–476, 1999.
- S. Gallas, A. C. Januel, A. Pasco et al., “Long-term follow-up of 1036 cerebral aneurysms treated by bare coils: a multicentric cohort treated between 1998 and 2003,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1986–1992, 2009.
- L. A. Lanterna, G. Tredici, B. D. Dimitrov et al., “Treatment of unruptured cerebral aneurysms by embolization with Guglielmi detachable coils: case-fatality, morbidity, and effectiveness in preventing bleeding—a systematic review of the literature,” Neurosurgery, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 767–775, 2004.
- O. N. Naggara, P. M. White, F. Guilbert, D. Roy, A. Weill, and J. Raymond, “Endovascular treatment of intracranial unruptured aneurysms: systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature on safety and efficacy,” Radiology, vol. 256, no. 3, pp. 887–897, 2010.
- J. Moret, C. Cognard, A. Weill, L. Castaings, and A. Rey, “Reconstruction technic in the treatment of wide-neck intracranial aneurysms. Long-term angiographic and clinical results. Apropos of 56 cases,” Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 30–44, 1997.
- L. Pierot, L. Spelle, X. Leclerc, C. Cognard, A. Bonafé, and J. Moret, “Endovascular treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: comparison of safety of remodeling technique and standard treatment with coils,” Radiology, vol. 251, no. 3, pp. 846–855, 2009.
- M. Shapiro, J. Babb, T. Becske, and P. K. Nelson, “Safety and efficacy of adjunctive balloon remodeling during endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms: a literature review,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1777–1781, 2008.
- M. J. Gounis, M. J. de Leo 3rd, and A. K. Wakhloo, “Advances in interventional neuroradiology,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. e81–e87, 2010.
- D. Fiorella, F. C. Albuquerque, P. Han et al., “Preliminary experience using the neuroform stent for the treatment of cerebral aneurysms,” Neurosurgery, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 6–16, 2004.
- J. Sedat, Y. Chau, L. Mondot, J. Vargas, J. Szapiro, and M. Lonjon, “Endovascular occlusion of intracranial wide-necked aneurysms with stenting (Neuroform) and coiling: mid-term and long-term results,” Neuroradiology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 401–409, 2009.
- J. Mocco, K. V. Snyder, F. C. Albuquerque et al., “Treatment of intracranial aneurysms with the Enterprise stent: a multicenter registry,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2009.
- J. Mocco, K. M. Fargen, F. C. Albuquerque et al., “Delayed thrombosis or stenosis following enterprise-assisted stent-coiling: is it safe? Midterm results of the interstate collaboration of enterprise stent coiling,” Neurosurgery, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 908–913, 2011.
- W. Brinjikji, A. A. Rabinstein, D. M. Nasr, G. Lanzino, D. F. Kallmes, and H. J. Cloft, “Better outcomes with treatment by coiling relative to clipping of unruptured intracranial aneurysms in the United States, 2001-2008,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1071–1075, 2011.
- A. Alshekhlee, S. Mehta, R. C. Edgell et al., “Hospital mortality and complications of electively clipped or coiled unruptured intracranial aneurysm,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1471–1476, 2010.
- R. T. Higashida, B. J. Lahue, M. T. Torbey, L. N. Hopkins, E. Leip, and D. F. Hanley, “Treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a nationwide assessment of effectiveness,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 146–151, 2007.
- W. Brinjikji, A. A. Rabinstein, G. Lanzino, D. F. Kallmes, and H. J. Cloft, “Effect of age on outcomes of treatment of unruptured cerebral aneurysms: a study of the national inpatient sample 2001-2008,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1320–1324, 2011.
- A. Molyneux, R. Kerr, I. Stratton, et al., “International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomized trial,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 304–314, 2002.
- S. C. Johnston, C. F. Dowd, R. T. Higashida, M. T. Lawton, G. R. Duckwiler, and D. R. Gress, “Predictors of rehemorrhage after treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: the Cerebral Aneurysm Rerupture After Treatment (CARAT) study,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 120–125, 2008.
- R. Vanninen, T. Koivisto, T. Saari, J. Hernesniemi, and M. Vapalahti, “Ruptured intracranial aneurysms: acute endovascular treatment with electrolytically detachable coils—a prospective randomized study,” Radiology, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 325–336, 1999.
- J. Raymond, A. J. Molyneux, A. J. Fox, S. C. Johnston, J. P. Collet, and I. Rouleau, “The TEAM trial: safety and efficacy of endovascular treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms in the prevention of aneurysmal hemorrhages: a randomized comparison with indefinite deferral of treatment in 2002 patients followed for 10 years,” Trials, vol. 9, article 43, 2008.
- J. Raymond, T. E. Darsaut, and A. J. Molyneux, “A trial on unruptured intracranial aneurysms (the TEAM trial): results, lessons from a failure and the necessity for clinical care trials,” Trials, vol. 12, article 64, 2011.
- T. E. Darsaut, J. M. Findlay, and J. Raymond, “The design of the canadian unruptured endovascular versus surgery (CURES) trial,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 236–241, 2011.
- J. Wolstenholme, O. Rivero-Arias, A. Gray et al., “Treatment pathways, resource use, and costs of endovascular coiling versus surgical clipping after aSAH,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 111–119, 2008.
- B. L. Hoh, Y. Y. Chi, M. F. Lawson, J. Mocco, and F. G. Barker 2nd, “Length of stay and total hospital charges of clipping versus coiling for ruptured and unruptured adult cerebral aneurysms in the Nationwide Inpatient Sample database 2002 to 2006,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 337–342, 2010.
- R. L. Piske, L. H. Kanashiro, E. Paschoal, C. Agner, S. S. Lima, and P. H. Aguiar, “Evaluation of onyx hd-500 embolic system in the treatment of 84 wide-neck intracranial aneurysms,” Neurosurgery, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. E865–E875, 2009.
- S. D. Simon, E. Eskioglu, A. Reig, and R. A. Mericle, “Endovascular treatment of side wall aneurysms using a liquid embolic agent: a US single-center prospective trial,” Neurosurgery, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 855–860, 2010.
- D. Fiorella, M. E. Kelly, F. C. Albuquerque, and P. K. Nelson, “Curative reconstruction of a giant midbasilar trunk aneurysm with the pipeline embolization device,” Neurosurgery, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 212–217, 2009.
- P. Lylyk, C. Miranda, R. Ceratto et al., “Curative endovascular reconstruction of cerebral aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device: the Buenos Aires experience,” Neurosurgery, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 632–642, 2009.
- J. B. Bederson, I. A. Awad, D. O. Wiebers et al., “Recommendations for the management of patients with unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Stroke Council of the American Heart Association,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 2742–2750, 2000.
- R. J. Komotar, J. Mocco, and R. A. Solomon, “Guidelines for the surgical treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: the first annual J. Lawrence pool memorial research symposium—controversies in the management of cerebral aneurysms,” Neurosurgery, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 183–193, 2008.
- R. D. Brown, “Unruptured intracranial aneurysms,” Seminars in Neurology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 537–544, 2010.
- M. Horowitz, “Guidelines for the surgical treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: the first Annual J. Lawrence Pool Memorial Research Symposium—controversies in the management of cerebral aneurysms,” Neurosurgery, vol. 64, no. 3, p. E577, 2009.