- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Zoology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 323847, 10 pages
Tracking the Autumn Migration of the Bar-Headed Goose (Anser indicus) with Satellite Telemetry and Relationship to Environmental Conditions
1Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou 730000, China
2Computer Network Information Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
3US Geological Survey, Western Ecological Research Center, Vallejo, CA 94592, USA
4Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
5US Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
6US Geological Survey, Alaska Science Center, Juneau, AK 99801, USA
7State Forestry Administration, Qinghai Lake National Nature Reserve, Xining 810000, China
8EMPRES Animal Health, Wildlife Health & Ecology Unit, Animal Production and Health Division, Food & Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, 00153 Rome, Italy
Received 11 April 2011; Accepted 27 July 2011
Academic Editor: Stephen Reid
Copyright © 2011 Yaonan Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Prosser, J. Y. Takekawa, S. H. Newman et al., “Satellite-marked waterfowl reveal migratory connection between H5N1 outbreak areas in China and Mongolia,” Ibis, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 568–576, 2009.
- X. H. Zhang and H. F. Zhang, “Discussion on the relation between birds’ migration and poultry flu,” Journal of Taiyuan Teachers College, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 81–84, 2005.
- D. J. Prosser, P. Cui, J. Y. Takekawa, M. Tang, Y. Hou, et al., “Wild bird migration across the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau: a potential transmission route for highly pathogenic H5N1,” PLoS One, vol. 6, Article ID e17622, 2011.
- H. Chen, G. J. D. Smith, S. Y. Zhang et al., “Avian flu: H5N1 virus outbreak in migratory waterfowl,” Nature, vol. 436, no. 7048, pp. 191–192, 2005.
- H. Inge, S. Dirk, and B. Gerhard, “High-altitude respiration of birds. The primary structures of the αD-chains of the bar-headed goose (Anser indicus), the greylag goose (Anser anser) and the Canada Goose (Branta canadensis),” Biological Chemistry Hoppe-Seyler, vol. 367, no. 2, pp. 591–599, 1986.
- Y. L. Song, Z. M. Canjue, and M. A. Bishop, “Bar-headed geese Anser indicus wintering population number and distribution in south-central Tibet Yarlung Zangbo River region,” Chinese Journal of Zoology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 27–30, 1994.
- J. Y. Takekawa, S. R. Heath, D. C. Douglas et al., “Geographic variation in Bar-headed Geese Anser indicus: connectivity of wintering areas and breeding grounds across a broad front,” Wildfowl, vol. 59, pp. 100–125, 2009.
- S. Javed, J.Y. Takekawa, Douglas, et al., “Tracking the spring migration of a bar-headed goose (Anser indicus) across the Himalaya with satellite telemetry,” Global Environmental Research, vol. 2, pp. 195–205, 2000.
- S. Javed, H. Higuchi, M. Nagendran, and J. Y. Takekawa, “Satellite telemetry and wildlife studies in India: advantages, options and challenges,” Current Science, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 1439–1443, 2003.
- H. Q. Wu, X. J. Yang, J. X. Yang, et al., “Review of satellite tracking in bird migratory studies,” Zoology Research, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 346–352, 2008.
- G. Z. Chu, Y. Q. Hou, G. G. Zhang, et al., “Satellite tracking of the migratory routes of the waterbirds breeding in Qinghailake,” Chinese Journal of Nature, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 84–89, 2007.
- D. P. Liu, G. G. Zhang, H. X. Jiang et al., “Movement and habitat utilization of breeding Bar-headed Goose and the relationship with humans in Qinghai Lake,” Acta Ecologica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 5201–5208, 2008.
- G. G. Zhang, D. P. Liu, and H. X. Jiang, “Movement of four breeding waterbirds at Qinghai lake,” Biodiversity Science, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 279–287, 2008.
- M. J. Tang, Y. C. Zhou, P. Cui, et al., “Discovery of migration habitats and routes of wild bird species by clustering and association analysis. Advanced data mining and applications,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications (ADMA 2009 ), pp. 288–301, Beijing, China, August 2009.
- M. A. Bishop, S. Yanling, C. Zhouma, and G. Binyuan, “Bar-headed Geese Anser indicus wintering in south-central Tibet,” Wildfowl, vol. 48, pp. 118–126, 1997.
- H. Higuchi, Y. Shibaev, J. Minton et al., “Satellite tracking of the migration of the red-crowned crane Grus japonensis,” Ecological Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 273–282, 1998.
- H. Higuchi, H. J. Shiu, H. Nakamura, et al., “Migration of Honey-buzzards Pernisa pivorus based on satellite tracking,” Ornithological Science, vol. 4, pp. 109–115, 2005.
- P. Cui, Y. Hou, M. Tang et al., “Movement patterns of Bar-headed Geese Anser indicus during breeding and post-breeding periods at Qinghai Lake, China,” Journal of Ornithology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2011.
- C. R. Ely, K. S. Bollinger, R. V. Densmore et al., “Reproductive strategies of northern geese: why wait?” Auk, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 594–605, 2007.
- Y. F. Yang, H. Jiang, F. J. Niu, et al., “The space-time variation analysis of air temperature over the Qinghai-Xizang plateau in warm and cold seasons,” Plateau Meteorology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 496–502, 2007.
- D. W. Zhou, G. Z. Fan, R. H. Huang, Z. Fang, Y. Liu, and H. Li, “Interannual variability of the normalized difference vegetation index on the Tibetan plateau and its relationship with climate change,” Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 474–484, 2007.
- W. J. Fang, Z. Q. Hua, Y. H. Liang, et al., “Study on resonance roman spectra of stock solutions of bar-headed goose hemoglobin for crystal growth under space and earth conditions,” Chinese Journal of Light Scattering, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 107–109, 2004.
- L. A. Hawkes, S. Balanchandran, N. Batbayar, et al., “The trans-Himalayan flights of bar-headed geese (Anser indicus),” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States, vol. 108, pp. 9516–9519, 2011.
- Y. Liang, Z. Hua, X. Liang, Q. Xu, and G. Lu, “The crystal structure of bar-headed goose hemoglobin in deoxy form: the allosteric mechanism of a hemoglobin species with high oxygen affinity,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 313, no. 1, pp. 123–137, 2001.
- G. R. Scott and W. K. Milsom, “Control of breathing and adaptation to high altitude in the bar-headed goose,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. R379–R391, 2007.