- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Zoology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 823970, 7 pages
Anurans as Intermediate and Paratenic Hosts of Helminth Infections in the Rainforest and Derived Savanna Biotopes of Southern Nigeria
Laboratory of Parasitology Research, Department of Animal and Environmental Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Benin,
P.M.B. 1154, Benin City, Edo State 300001, Nigeria
Received 26 March 2012; Revised 17 June 2012; Accepted 18 July 2012
Academic Editor: Tobias Wang
Copyright © 2012 Abigail A. Imasuen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. Sessions and S. B. Ruth, “Explanation for naturally occurring supernumerary limbs in amphibians,” The Journal of Experimental Zoology, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 38–47, 1990.
- G. Bolt, J. Monrad, F. Frandsen, P. Henriksen, and H. H. Dietz, “The common frog (Rana temporaria) as a potential paratenic and intermediate host for Angiostrongylus vasorum,” Parasitology Research, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 428–430, 1993.
- F. Moravec and H. Kaiser, “Brevimulticaecum sp. larvae (Nematoda: Anisakidae) from the frog Hyla minuta peters in Trinidad,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 154–156, 1994.
- P. Torres and S. Puga, “Occurrence of cystacanths of Centrorhynchus sp. (Acanthocephala:Centrorhynchidae) in toads of the genus Eupsophus in Chile,” Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 717–719, 1996.
- O. Krone and W. J. Streich, “Strigea falconispalumbi in Eurasian buzzards from Germany,” Journal of Wildlife Diseases, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 559–561, 2000.
- G. W. Thiemann and R. J. Wassersug, “Biased distribution of trematode metacercariae in the nephric system of Rana tadpoles,” Journal of Zoology, vol. 252, no. 4, pp. 534–538, 2000.
- B. B. Nickol, “Epizootiology,” in Biology of the Acanthocephala, D. W. T. Crompton and B. B. Nickol, Eds., pp. 307–346, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1985.
- M. L. Eberhard and F. H. Brandt, “The role of tadpoles and frogs as paratenic hosts in the life cycle of Dracunculus insignis (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea),” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 792–793, 1995.
- J. A. Jackson and R. C. Tinsley, “Hymenochirine anurans (Pinpidae) as transport hosts in camallanid nematode life-cycles,” Systematic Parasitology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 141–151, 1998.
- F. Moravec and B. Škoríková, “Amphibians and larvae of aquatic insects as new paratenic hosts of Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea), a swimbladder parasite of eels,” Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 217–222, 1998.
- C. E. González and M. I. Hamann, “The first record of amphibians as paratenic hosts of Serpinema larvae (Nematoda; Camallanidae),” Brazilian Journal of Biology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 579–580, 2007.
- V. G. T. Santos and S. B. Amato, “Rhinella fernandezae (Anura, Bufonidae) a paratenic host of Centrorhynchus sp. (Acanthocephala, Centrorhynchidae) in Brazil,” Revista Mexicana de Biodiversidad, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2010.
- V. P. Sharpilo and R. V. Salamatin, “Paratenic parasitism: origins and development of the concept,” Kyiv, pp. 235–238, 2005 (Russian), Historical essays, bibliography, with English and Ukranian summary.
- A. Okulewicz, “The role of paratenic hosts in the life cycles of helminths,” Wiadomości Parazytologiczne, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 297–301, 2008.
- S. O. Aisien, F. B. Ajakaiye, and K. Braimoh, “Helminth parasites of anurans from the savannah-mosaic zone of South-Western Nigeria,” Acta Parasitologica, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2003.
- S. O. Aisien, F. Ayeni, and I. Ilechie, “Helminth fauna of anurans from the Guinea savanna at New Bussa, Nigeria,” African Zoology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 133–136, 2004.
- S. O. Aisien, A. D. Ugbo, A. N. Ilavbare, and O. Ogunbor, “Endoparasites of amphibians from South-Western Nigeria,” Acta Parasitologica, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 299–305, 2001.
- M. S. O. Aisien, S. O. Ogoannah, and A. A. Imasuen, “Helminth parasites of amphibians from a rainforest reserve in South-Western Nigeria,” African Zoology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2009.
- M. S. O. Aisien, S. G. A. Nago, and M.-O. Rödel, “Parasitic infections of amphibians in the Penjari Biosphere Reserve, Benin,” African Zoology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 340–349, 2011.
- F. N. Odigwe, “Survey of helminth parasites infecting lizards in Benin City, Nigeria. Dissertation submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirement for a B.Sc. Degree (Zoology),” University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria, 1985.
- J. F. A. Sprent, “Ascaridoid nematodes of amphibians and reptiles: Ophidascaris Baylis, 1920,” Systematic Parasitology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 165–213, 1988.
- M. J. Ulmer and H. A. James, “Studies on the Helminth fauna of Iowa. II. Cestodes of Amphibians,” Proceedings of the Helminthological Society of Washington, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 191–200, 1976.
- V. J. McKenzie, “Human land use and patterns of parasitism in tropical amphibian hosts,” Biological Conservation, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 102–116, 2007.
- S. R. Goldberg and C. R. Bursey, “Helminths of two species of frogs, Lithobates taylori and Lithobates vaillanti (Ranidae), from Costa Rica,” Caribbean Journal of Science, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2007.
- D. F. Mettrick, “A new cestode, Ophiotaenia ophidex n. sp. from a night-adder, Caurus rhombeatus (Licht) in Southern Rhodesia,” Proceedings of the Helminthological Society of Washington, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 275–278, 1960.
- D. F. Mettrick, “Some cestodes of reptiles and amphibians from the Rhodesias,” Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London, vol. 141, pp. 239–250, 1963.
- C. T. McAllister, P. S. Freed, and D. A. Freed, “Ophiotaenia ophiodex and Ophidascaris sp. in a spotted night adder (Causus maculatus) from Cameroon, West Africa,” Journal of Wildlife Diseases, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 641–642, 1992.
- A. De Chambrier, M. Ammann, and T. Scholz, “First species of Ophiotaenia (Cestoda: Proteocephalidea) from Madagascar: O. georgievi sp. N., a parasite of the endemic snake Leioheterodon geayi (Colubridae),” Folia Parasitologica, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 197–205, 2010.
- L. R. Smales, “Acanthocephalans from some frogs and toads (Anura) and chameleons (Squamata) from Tanzania with the description of a new species,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 1459–1464, 2005.
- C. R. Bursey, D. Vrcibradic, F. H. Hatano, and C. F. D. Rocha, “New genus, new species of Acanthocephala (Echinorhynchidae) from the Brazilian frog Hylodes phyllodes (Anura: Leptodactylidae),” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 353–356, 2006.
- S. E. Bush, D. W. Duszynski, and B. B. Nickol, “Acanthocephala from amphibians in China with the description of a new species of Pseudoacanthocephalus (Echinorhynchida),” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1440–1445, 2009.