- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 847835, 5 pages
Intensive Care Usage by HIV-Positive Patients in the HAART Era
1Tropical and Infectious Diseases Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool, L7 8XP, UK
2Magill Department of Anaesthesia Intensive Care and Pain Management, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London, SW10 9NH, UK
3Department of HIV/GUM, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London, SW10 9NH, UK
Received 31 January 2011; Revised 8 September 2011; Accepted 26 September 2011
Academic Editor: Elizabeth Bukusi
Copyright © 2011 L. Turtle et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. M. Wachter, J. M. Luce, J. Turner, P. Volberding, and P. C. Hopewell, “Intensive care of patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Outcome and changing patterns of utilization,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 891–896, 1986.
- R. Deam, A. P. S. Kimberley, M. Anderson, and N. Soni, “Forum. AIDS in ICUs: outcome,” Anaesthesia, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 150–151, 1988.
- M. J. Rosen, “Intensive care of patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection: time to take another look.,” Journal of intensive care medicine., vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 360–363, 2005.
- R. M. Wachter, M. Cooke, P. C. Hopewell, and J. M. Luce, “Attitudes of medical residents regarding intensive care for patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 149–152, 1988.
- E. Casalino, G. Mendoza-Sassi, M. Wolff et al., “Predictors of short- and long-term survival in HIV-infected patients admitted to the ICU,” Chest, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 421–429, 1998.
- V. A. De Palo, B. H. Millstein, P. H. Mayo, S. H. Salzman, and M. J. Rosen, “Outcome of intensive care in patients with HIV infection,” Chest, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 506–510, 1995.
- J. K. Gill, L. Greene, R. Miller et al., “ICU admission in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus—a multicentre survey,” Anaesthesia, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 727–732, 1999.
- S. D. Kumar and B. P. Krieger, “CD4 lymphocyte counts and mortality in AIDS patients requiring mechanical ventilator support due to Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia,” Chest, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 430–433, 1998.
- G. Nichas and R. M. Wachter, “Outcomes of intensive care for patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 541–547, 2000.
- R. M. Wachter, J. M. Luce, S. Safrin, D. C. Berrios, E. Charlebois, and A. A. Scitovsky, “Cost and outcome of intensive care for patients with AIDS, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, and severe respiratory failure,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 273, no. 3, pp. 230–235, 1995.
- F. J. Palella Jr., K. M. Delaney, A. C. Moorman, et al., “Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. HIV Outpatient Study Investigators,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 13, pp. 853–860, 1998.
- N. Lohse, A. B. E. Hansen, G. Pedersen et al., “Survival of persons with and without HIV infection in Denmark, 1995–2005,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 87–95, 2007.
- A. Mocroft, B. Ledergerber, C. Katlama et al., “Decline in the AIDS and death rates in the EuroSIDA study: an observational study,” Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9377, pp. 22–29, 2003.
- S. J. Dickson, S. Batson, A. J. Copas, S. G. Edwards, M. Singer, and R. F. Miller, “Survival of HIV-infected patients in the intensive care unit in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy,” Thorax, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 964–968, 2007.
- H. Khouli, A. Afrasiabi, M. Shibli, R. Hajal, C. R. Barrett, and P. Homel, “Outcome of critically ill human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy.,” Journal of intensive care medicine., vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 327–333, 2005.
- A. Morris, J. Creasman, J. Turner, J. M. Luce, R. M. Wachter, and L. Huang, “Intensive care of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients during the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 262–267, 2002.
- M. Narasimhan, A. J. Posner, V. A. DePalo, P. H. Mayo, and M. J. Rosen, “Intensive care in patients with HIV infection in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1800–1804, 2004.
- B. Vincent, J. F. Timsit, M. Auburtin et al., “Characteristics and outcomes of HIV-infected patients in the ICU: impact of the highly active antiretroviral treatment era,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 859–866, 2004.
- J. Croda, M. G. Croda, A. Neves, and S. De Sousa Dos Santos, “Benefit of antiretroviral therapy on survival of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients admitted to an intensive care unit,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1605–1611, 2009.
- K. Powell, J. L. Davis, A. M. Morris, A. Chi, M. R. Bensley, and L. Huang, “Survival for patients with HIV admitted to the ICU continues to improve in the current era of combination antiretroviral therapy,” Chest, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2009.
- Y. A. Vargas-Infante, M. L. Guerrero, G. M. Ruiz-Palacios et al., “Improving outcome of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in a Mexican Intensive Care Unit,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 827–833, 2007.
- E. Casalino, M. Wolff, P. Ravaud, C. Choquet, F. Bruneel, and B. Regnier, “Impact of HAART advent on admission patterns and survival in HIV-infected patients admitted to an intensive care unit,” AIDS, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1429–1433, 2004.
- “1993 revised classification system for HIV infection and expanded surveillance case definition for AIDS among adolescents and adults,” The MMWR Recommendations and Reports, vol. 41, no. RR-17, pp. 1–19, 1992.
- R. C. Bone, R. A. Balk, F. B. Cerra, et al., “Definitions for sepsis and organ failure and guidelines for the use of innovative therapies in sepsis. The ACCP/SCCM Consensus Conference Committee. American College of Chest Physicians/Society of Critical Care Medicine,” Chest, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1644–1655, 1992.
- R. Weber, C. A. Sabin, N. Friis-Moller, et al., “Liver-related deaths in persons infected with the human immunodeficiency virus: the D:A:D study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 15, pp. 1632–1641, 2006.
- R. M. Selik, R. H. Byers, and M. S. Dworkin, “Trends in diseases reported on U.S. death certificates that mentioned HIV infection, 1987–1999,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 378–387, 2002.
- C. M. Wyatt, R. R. Arons, P. E. Klotman, and M. E. Klotman, “Acute renal failure in hospitalized patients with HIV: risk factors and impact on in-hospital mortality,” AIDS, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 561–565, 2006.