- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 542796, 7 pages
Periprosthetic Joint Infections
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, University of São Paulo, 05403-010 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 27 June 2013; Accepted 17 July 2013
Academic Editor: Dino Vaira
Copyright © 2013 Ana Lucia L. Lima et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Zimmerli, “Infection and musculoskeletal conditions: prosthetic-joint-associated infections,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 20, pp. 1045–1063, 2006.
- J. L. Del Pozo and R. Patel, “Infection associated with prosthetic joints,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 8, pp. 787–794, 2009.
- S. M. Kurtz, E. Lau, J. Schmier, K. L. Ong, K. Zhao, and J. Parvizi, “Infection burden for hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 984–991, 2008.
- L. Frommelt, “Principles of systemic antimicrobial therapy in foreign material associated infection in bone tissue, with special focus on periprosthetic infection,” Injury, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. S87–S94, 2006.
- V. C. Carvalho, P. R. Oliveira, K. Dal-Paz, A. P. Paula, F. Félix Cda, and A. L. Lima, “Gram-negative osteomyelitis: clinical and microbiological profile,” The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 16, pp. 63–67, 2012.
- R. H. Fitzgerald Jr., D. R. Nolan, and D. M. Ilstrup, “Deep wound sepsis following total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 847–855, 1977.
- M. J. Spangehl, B. A. Masri, J. X. O'Connell, and C. P. Duncan, “Prospective analysis of preoperative and intraoperative investigations for the diagnosis of infection at the sites of two hundred and two revision total hip arthroplasties,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 672–683, 1999.
- J. R. Lentino, “Prosthetic joint infections: bane of orthopedists, challenge for infectious disease specialists,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1157–1161, 2003.
- N. V. Greidanus, B. A. Masri, D. S. Garbuz et al., “Use of erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein level to diagnose infection before revision total knee arthroplasty: a prospective evaluation,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 1409–1416, 2007.
- M. S. Austin, E. Ghanem, A. Joshi, A. Lindsay, and J. Parvizi, “A simple, cost-effective screening protocol to rule out periprosthetic infection,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 65–68, 2008.
- T. T. Miller, “Imaging of hip arthroplasty,” Seminars in Musculoskeletal Radiology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 30–46, 2006.
- S. Ostlere, “How to image metal-on-metal prostheses and their complications,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 558–567, 2011.
- M. Pfahler, C. Schidlo, and H. J. Refior, “Evaluation of imaging in loosening of hip arthroplasty in 326 consecutive cases,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 117, no. 4-5, pp. 205–207, 1998.
- O. P. P. Temmerman, P. G. H. M. Raijmakers, J. Berkhof, O. S. Hoekstra, G. J. J. Teule, and I. C. Heyligers, “Accuracy of diagnostic imaging techniques in the diagnosis of aseptic loosening of the femoral component of a hip prosthesis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 781–785, 2005.
- N. Al-Hadithy, M. C. Papanna, S. Farooq, and Y. Kalairajah, “How to read a postoperative knee replacement radiograph,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 493–501, 2011.
- S. Tigges, R. G. Stiles, and J. R. Roberson, “Appearance of septic hip prostheses on plain radiographs,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 377–380, 1994.
- D. R. Osmon, E. F. Berbari, A. R. Berendt, et al., “Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 56, pp. e1–e25, 2013.
- F. Gemmel, H. Van den Wyngaert, C. Love, M. M. Welling, P. Gemmel, and C. J. Palestro, “Prosthetic joint infections: radionuclide state-of-the-art imaging,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 39, pp. 892–909, 2012.
- M. S. Taljanovic, M. D. Jones, T. B. Hunter et al., “Joint arthroplasties and prostheses,” Radiographics, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1295–1314, 2003.
- S. Tigges, J. R. Roberson, and D. E. Cohen, “Hip arthroplasty: the role of plain radiographs in outpatient management,” Radiology, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 73–75, 1995.
- C. Cyteval, V. Hamm, M. P. Sarrabère, F. M. Lopez, P. Maury, and P. Taourel, “Painful infection at the site of hip prosthesis: CT imaging,” Radiology, vol. 224, no. 2, pp. 477–483, 2002.
- N. Kitamura, S. B. Leung, and C. A. Engh Sr., “Characteristics of pelvic osteolysis on computed tomography after total hip arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 441, pp. 291–297, 2005.
- C. M. Sofka, “Current applications of advanced cross-sectional imaging techniques in evaluating the painful arthroplasty,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 183–193, 2007.
- C. L. Hayter, M. F. Koff, P. Shah, K. M. Koch, T. T. Miller, and H. G. Potter, “MRI after arthroplasty: comparison of MAVRIC and conventional fast spin-echo techniques,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. W405–W411, 2011.
- J. G. Cahir, A. P. Toms, T. J. Marshall, J. Wimhurst, and J. Nolan, “CT and MRI of hip arthroplasty,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1163–1171, 2007.
- A. P. Toms, T. J. Marshall, J. Cahir et al., “MRI of early symptomatic metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty: a retrospective review of radiological findings in 20 hips,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2008.
- L. M. White, J. K. Kim, M. Mehta et al., “Complications of total hip arthroplasty: MR imaging—initial experience,” Radiology, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 254–262, 2000.
- P. Reinartz, T. Mumme, B. Hermanns et al., “Radionuclide imaging of the painful hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 465–470, 2005.
- K. D. M. Stumpe, H. P. Nötzli, M. Zanetti et al., “FDG PET for differentiation of infection and aseptic loosening in total hip replacements: comparison with conventional radiography and three-phase bone scintigraphy,” Radiology, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 333–341, 2004.
- C. Love, S. E. Marwin, M. B. Tomas et al., “Diagnosing infection in the failed joint replacement: a comparison of coincidence detection 18F-FDG and 111in-labeled leukocyte-sulfur colloid marrow imaging,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1864–1871, 2004.
- T. K. Chacko, H. Zhuang, K. Stevenson, B. Moussavian, and A. Alavi, “The importance of the location of fluorodeoxyglucose uptake in periprosthetic infection in painful hip prostheses,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 851–855, 2002.
- B. L. Atkins, N. Athanasou, J. J. Deeks et al., “Prospective evaluation of criteria for microbiological diagnosis of prosthetic-joint infection at revision arthroplasty,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2932–2939, 1998.
- A. Trampuz, K. E. Piper, M. J. Jacobson et al., “Sonication of removed hip and knee prostheses for diagnosis of infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 7, pp. 654–663, 2007.
- J. Esteben, N. Alonso-Rodrigues, G. del-Prado, et al., “PCR-hybridization after sonication improves diagnosis of implant-related infection,” Acta Orthopaetica, vol. 83, pp. 299–304, 2012.
- M. Marín, J. M. Garcia-Lechuz, P. Alonso et al., “Role of universal 16S rRNA gene PCR and sequencing in diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 583–589, 2012.
- Y. Miyamae, W. Inaba, N. Kobayashi, et al., “Quantitative evaluation of periprosthetic infection by real-time polymerase chain reaction: a comparison with conventional methods,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 74, pp. 125–130, 2012.
- W. Zimmerli, “Orthopaedic device-associated infection,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1160–1161, 2012.
- P. Y. Lévy and F. Fenollar, “The role of molecular diagnostics in implant-associated bone and joint infection,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 18, pp. 1168–1175, 2012.
- H. B. Cabrita, A. T. Croci, O. P. De Camargo, and A. L. L. M. De Lima, “Prospective study of the treatment of infected hip arthroplasties with or without the use of an antibiotic-loaded cement spacer,” Clinics, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 99–108, 2007.
- S. Rudelli, D. Uip, E. Honda, and A. L. L. M. Lima, “One-stage revision of infected total hip arthroplasty with bone graft,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1165–1177, 2008.
- J. W. Costerton, K. J. Cheng, G. G. Geesey et al., “Bacterial biofilms in nature and disease,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 41, pp. 435–464, 1987.
- W. Zimmerli and C. Moser, “Pathogenesis and treatment concepts of orthipaedic biofilm infection,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 65, pp. 158–168, 2012.
- A. G. Gristina and J. Kolkin, “Total joint replacement and sepsis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 128–134, 1983.
- R. C. Wasielewski, R. M. Barden, and A. G. Rosenberg, “Results of different surgical procedures on total knee arthroplasty infections,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 931–938, 1996.
- J. C. Sherrell, T. K. Fehring, S. Odum et al., “The chitranjan ranawat award: fate of two-stage reimplantation after failed irrigation and débridement for periprosthetic knee infection,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 469, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2011.
- H. W. Buchholz, R. A. Elson, and K. Heinert, “Antibiotic-loaded acrylic cement: current concepts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 190, pp. 96–108, 1984.
- F. Lecuire, M. Collodel, M. Basso, J. Rubini, D. Gontier, and J. Carrère, “Revision of infected total hip prosthesis by explantation reimplantation with noncemented prosthesis. 57 case reports,” Revue de Chirurgie Orthopedique et Reparatrice de l'Appareil Moteur, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 337–348, 1999.
- K. J. Ure, H. C. Amstutz, S. Nasser, and T. P. Schmalzried, “Direct-exchange arthroplasty for the treatment of infection after total hip replacement: an average ten-year follow-up,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 961–968, 1998.
- M. A. Mont, B. Waldman, C. Banerjee, I. H. Pacheco, and D. S. Hungerford, “Multiple irrigation, débridement, and retention of components in infected total knee arthroplasty,” The Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 12, pp. 426–433, 1997.
- H. Winkler, A. Stoiber, K. Kaudela, F. Winter, and F. Menschik, “One stage uncemented revision of infected total hip replacement using cancellous allograft bone impregnated with antibiotics,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 1580–1584, 2008.
- A. D. Toms, D. Davidson, B. A. Masri, and C. P. Duncan, “The management of peri-prosthetic infection in total joint arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2006.
- J. Kotelnicki and K. Mitts, “Surgical treatments for patients with an infected total knee arthroplasty,” The Bone & Joint Journal, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 43–46, 2009.
- P.-H. Hsieh, K.-C. Huang, P.-C. Lee, and M. S. Lee, “Two-stage revision of infected hip arthroplasty using an antibiotic-loaded spacer: retrospective comparison between short-term and prolonged antibiotic therapy,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 392–397, 2009.
- M. W. Pagnano, R. T. Trousdale, and A. D. Hanssen, “Outcome after reinfection following reimplantation hip arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 338, pp. 192–204, 1997.
- J. Castellanos, X. Flores, M. Llusà, C. Chiriboga, and A. Navarro, “The Girdlestone pseudarthrosis in the treatment of infected hip replacements,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 178–181, 1998.
- D. J. McDonald, R. H. Fitzgerald Jr., and D. M. Ilstrup, “Two-stage reconstruction of a total hip arthroplasty because of infection,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 828–834, 1989.
- B. Fink, S. Vogt, M. Reinsch, and H. Büchner, “Sufficient release of antibiotic by a spacer 6 weeks after implantation in two-stage revision of infected hip prostheses,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 469, no. 11, pp. 3141–3147, 2011.