- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 351547, 6 pages
Development and Validation of High Performance Liquid Chromatography Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Flavonoid Glycosides in Withania somnifera Aerial Parts
1R&D Centre, Natural Remedies Pvt. Ltd., Plot No. 5B, Veerasandra Industrial Area, 19th K.M. Stone, Hosur Road, Bangalore 560100, India
2American Herbal Products Association, 8630 Fenton Street, Suite 918, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Received 28 January 2014; Accepted 18 February 2014; Published 10 March 2014
Academic Editors: E. Gumienna-Kontecka and W. Lee
Copyright © 2014 Deepak Mundkinajeddu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Patwardhan, G. T. Panse, and P. H. Kulkarni, “Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): a review,” Journal of National Integrated Medical Association, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 7–11, 1988.
- H.-B. Schröter, D. Neumann, A. R. Katritzky, and F. J. Swinbourne, “Withasomnine: a pyrazole alkaloid from Withania somnifera Dun,” Tetrahedron, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 2895–2897, 1966.
- K. Sharma and P. C. Dandiya, “Withania somnifera Dunal—present status,” Indian Drugs, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 247–253, 1992.
- G. L. Gupta and A. C. Rana, “Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) : a review,” Pharmacognosy Review, vol. 1, pp. 129–136, 2007.
- L. Misra, P. Lal, R. S. Sangwan, N. S. Sangwan, G. C. Uniyal, and R. Tuli, “Unusually sulfated and oxygenated steroids from Withania somnifera,” Phytochemistry, vol. 66, no. 23, pp. 2702–2707, 2005.
- S. K. Bhattacharya, D. Bhattacharya, K. Sairam, and S. Ghosal, “Effect of Withania somnifera glycowithanolides on a rat model of tardive dyskinesia,” Phytomedicine, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 167–170, 2002.
- M. Rasool and P. Varalakshmi, “Immunomodulatory role of Withania somnifera root powder on experimental induced inflammation: an in vivo and in vitro study,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 406–410, 2006.
- P. Scartezzini and E. Speroni, “Review on some plants of Indian traditional medicine with antioxidant activity,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 23–43, 2000.
- R. Agarwal, S. Diwanay, P. Patki, and B. Patwardhan, “Studies on immunomodulatory activity of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) extracts in experimental immune inflammation,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 1999.
- M. Ali, M. Shuaib, and S. H. Ansari, “Withanolides from the stem bark of Withania somnifera,” Phytochemistry, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1163–1168, 1997.
- G. Vitali, L. Conte, and M. Nicoletti, “Withanolide composition and in vitro culture of Italian Withania somnifera,” Planta Medica, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 287–288, 1996.
- L. Misra, P. Mishra, A. Pandey, R. S. Sangwan, N. S. Sangwan, and R. Tuli, “Withanolides from Withania somnifera roots,” Phytochemistry, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 1000–1004, 2008.
- F. E. Kandil, N. H. El Sayed, A. M. Abou-Douh, M. S. Ishak, and T. J. Mabry, “Flavonol glycosides and phenolics from Withania somnifera,” Phytochemistry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1215–1216, 1994.
- B. Kaufmann, S. Souverain, S. Cherkaoui, P. Christen, and J.-L. Veuthey, “Rapid liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric analysis of withanolides in crude plant extracts by use of a monolithic column,” Chromatographia, vol. 56, no. 3-4, pp. 137–141, 2002.
- R. K. Khajuria, K. A. Suri, R. K. Gupta et al., “Separation, identification, and quantification of selected withanolides in plant extracts of Withania somnifera by HPLC-UV(DAD)—positive ion electrospray ionisation-mass spectrometry,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 27, no. 7-8, pp. 541–546, 2004.
- N. D. Chaurasiya, G. C. Uniyal, P. Lal et al., “Analysis of withanolides in root and leaf of Withania somnifera by HPLC with photodiode array and evaporative light scattering detection,” Phytochemical Analysis, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 148–154, 2008.
- S. Chatterjee, S. Srivastava, A. Khalid et al., “Comprehensive metabolic fingerprinting of Withania somnifera leaf and root extracts,” Phytochemistry, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1085–1094, 2010.
- S. Cherkaoui, X. Cahours, and J.-L. Veuthey, “Analysis of selected withanolides in plant extract by capillary electrochromatography and microemulsion electrokinetic chromatography,” Electrophoresis, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 336–342, 2003.
- P. Srtvastava, N. Tiwari, A. K. Yadav et al., “Simultaneous quantification of withanolides in Withania somnifera by a validated high-performance thin-layer chromatographic method,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1154–1161, 2008.
- V. Sharma, A. P. Gupta, P. Bhandari, R. C. Gupta, and B. Singh, “A validated and densitometric HPTLC method for the quantification of withaferin-A and withanolide-A in different plant parts of two morphotypes of Withania somnifera,” Chromatographia, vol. 66, no. 9-10, pp. 801–804, 2007.
- R. S. Sangwan, N. Das Chaurasiya, P. Lal et al., “Withanolide A biogeneration in in vitro shoot cultures of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal), a main medicinal plant in ayurveda,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1371–1375, 2007.
- D. K. Ved and G. S. Goraya, Demand and Supply of Medicinal Plants in India, National Medicinal Plants Board, New Delhi, India, 2008.
- T. Brasseur and L. Angenot, “Six flavonol glycosides from leaves of Strychnos variabilis,” Phytochemistry, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1487–1490, 1988.
- P. Christen and I. Kapetanides, “Flavonoids from Lycium halimifolium,” Planta Medica, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 571–572, 1987.
- ICH, 2013, http://www.ich.org/products/guidelines/quality/article/quality-guidelines.html.
- USP Herbal Medicines Compendium, 2013, https://hmc.usp.org/sites/default/files/documents/HMC/GCs-Pdfs/c1225%20USP36.pdf.
- U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, Dietary Supplements, Ashwagandha in the United States Pharmacopeia 36/National Formulary 31, U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, Rockville, Md, USA, 2013.