- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 742927, 8 pages
Local Anaesthetic Infiltration in Joint Replacement Surgery: What Is Its Role in Enhanced Recovery?
1The Royal Bournemouth Hospital, Bournemouth BH7 7DW, UK
2Centre of Postgraduate Medicine, Research & Education, The School of Health and Social Care, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth BH1 3LT, UK
Received 4 October 2011; Accepted 20 October 2011
Academic Editors: C.-R. Lin and M. Şentürk
Copyright © 2011 Ian Starks et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Kehlet and D. W. Wilmore, “Evidence-based surgical care and the evolution of fast-track surgery,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 248, no. 2, pp. 189–198, 2008.
- H. Husted and G. Holm, “Fast track in total hip and knee arthroplasty—experiences from Hvidovre University Hospital, Denmark,” Injury, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. S31–S35, 2006.
- S. O'Brien, L. Ogonda, S. J. Dennison et al., “Day two post operative “fast-track” discharge following primary total hip replacement,” Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 140–145, 2005.
- L. Basse, D. H. Jakobsen, P. Billesbølle, M. Werner, and H. Kehlet, “A clinical pathway to accelerate recovery after colonic resection,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 232, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2000.
- A. V. Maheshwari, Y. C. Blum, L. Shekhar, A. S. Ranawat, and C. S. Ranawat, “Multimodal pain management after total hip and knee arthroplasty at the ranawat orthopaedic center,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 467, no. 6, pp. 1418–1423, 2009.
- A. Rodgers, N. Walker, S. Schug et al., “Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anaesthesia: results from overview of randomised trials,” British Medical Journal, vol. 321, no. 7275, pp. 1493–1497, 2000.
- S. C. Urwin, M. J. Parker, and R. Griffiths, “General versus regional anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized trials,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 450–455, 2000.
- L. S. Rasmussen, T. Johnson, H. M. Kuipers et al., “Does anaesthesia cause postoperative cognitive dysfunction? A randomised study of regional versus general anaesthesia in 438 elderly patients,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 260–266, 2003.
- M. J. Parker, H. H. Handoll, and R. Griffiths, “Anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery in adults,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, article CD000521, 2004.
- T. J. Luger, C. Kammerlander, M. Gosch et al., “Neuroaxial versus general anaesthesia in geriatric patients for hip fracture surgery: does it matter?” Osteoporosis International, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. S555–S572, 2010.
- J. E. Paul, A. Arya, L. Hurlburt et al., “Femoral nerve block improves analgesia outcomes after total knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Anesthesiology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 1144–1162, 2010.
- E. R. Bogoch, M. Henke, T. Mackenzie, E. Olschewski, and N. N. Mahomed, “Lumbar paravertebral nerve block in the management of pain after total hip and knee arthroplasty: a randomized controlled clinical trial,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 398–401, 2002.
- B. Ben-David, K. Schmalenberger, and J. E. Chelly, “Analgesia after total knee arthroplasty: is continuous sciatic blockade needed in addition to continuous, femoral blockade?” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 747–749, 2004.
- P. A. Vendittoli, P. Makinen, P. Drolet et al., “A multimodal analgesia protocol for total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, controlled study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 282–289, 2006.
- D. R. Kerr and L. Kohan, “Local infiltration analgesia: a technique for the control of acute postoperative pain following knee and hip surgery—A case study of 325 patients,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 174–183, 2008.
- L. J. Anderson, T. Poulsen, B. Krogh, and T. Nielsen, “Post-operative analgesia in total hip arthroplasty: a randomised double-blinded, placebo-controlled study on peroperative and postoperative ropivacaine, ketorolac, and adrenaline wound infiltration,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 78, pp. 187–192, 2007.
- C. A. Busch, B. J. Shore, R. Bhandari et al., “Efficacy of periarticular multimodal drug injection in total knee arthroplasty: a randomized trial,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 959–963, 2006.
- P. Essving, K. Axelsson, J. Kjellberg, O. Wallgren, A. Gupta, and A. Lundin, “Reduced morphine consumption and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia (LIA) following total knee arthroplasty: a randomized double-blind study involving 48 patients,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 354–360, 2010.
- P. Gómez-Cardero and E. C. Rodríguez-Merchán, “Postoperative analgesia in TKA: ropivacaine continuous intraarticular infusion,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 5, pp. 1242–1247, 2010.
- B. A. Krenzel, C. Cook, G. N. Martin, T. P. Vail, D. E. Attarian, and M. P. Bolognesi, “Posterior capsular injections of ropivacaine during total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 138–143, 2009.
- L. O. Andersen, H. Husted, K. S. Otte, B. B. Kristensen, and H. Kehlet, “High-volume infiltration analgesia in total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1331–1335, 2008.
- S. Zhang, F. Wang, Z. D. Lu, Y. P. Li, L. Zhang, and Q. H. Jin, “Effect of single-injection versus continuous local infiltration analgesia after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled study,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1369–1380, 2011.
- D. W. Chen, P. H. Hsieh, K. C. Huang, C. C. Hu, Y. H. Chang, and M. S. Lee, “Continuous intra-articular infusion of bupivacaine for post-operative pain relief after total hip arthroplasty: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 529–534, 2010.
- L. O. Andersen, H. Husted, B. B. Kristensen, K. S. Otte, L. Gaarn-Larsen, and H. Kehlet, “Analgesic efficacy of subcutaneous local anaesthetic wound infiltration in bilateral knee arthroplasty: a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 543–548, 2010.
- L. O. Andersen, B. B. Kristensen, H. Husted, K. S. Otte, and H. Kehlet, “Local anesthetics after total knee arthroplasty: intraarticular or extraarticular administration? A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 800–805, 2008.
- U. J. Spreng, V. Dahl, A. Hjall, M. W. Fagerland, and J. Ræder, “High-volume local infiltration analgesia combined with intravenous or local ketorolac and morphine compared with epidural analgesia after total knee arthroplasty,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 675–682, 2010.
- K. V. Andersen, M. Pfeiffer-Jensen, V. Haraldsted, and K. Søballe, “Reduced hospital stay and narcotic consumption, and improved mobilization with local and intraarticular infiltration after hip arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial of an intraarticular technique versus epidural infusion in 80 patients,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 180–186, 2007.
- K. V. Andersen, M. Bak, B. V. Christensen, J. Harazuk, N. A. Pedersen, and K. Søballe, “A randomized, controlled trial comparing local infiltration analgesia with epidural infusion for total knee arthroplasty,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 606–610, 2010.
- M. Thorsell, P. Holst, H. C. Hyldahl, and L. Weidenhielm, “Pain control after total knee arthroplasty: a prospective study comparing local infiltration anesthesia and epidural anesthesia,” Orthopedics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 75–80, 2010.
- K. Toftdahl, L. Nikolajsen, V. Haraldsted, F. Madsen, E. K. Tönnesen, and K. Søballe, “Comparison of peri- and intraarticular analgesia with femoral nerve block after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 172–179, 2007.
- F. Carli, A. Clemente, J. F. Asenjo et al., “Analgesia and functional outcome after total knee arthroplasty: periarticular infiltration vs continuous femoral nerve block,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 185–195, 2010.
- F. Affas, E.-B. Nygrds, C.-O. Stiller, P. Wretenberg, and C. Olofsson, “Pain control after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized trial comparing local infiltration anesthesia and continuous femoral block,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 441–447, 2011.
- S. Sharma, R. Iorio, L. M. Specht, S. Davies-Lepie, and W. L. Healy, “Complications of femoral nerve block for total knee arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 1, pp. 135–140, 2010.
- T. Röstlund and H. Kehlet, “High-dose local infiltration analgesia after hip and knee replacement—What is it, why does it work, and what are the future challenges?” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 159–161, 2007.
- H. Kehlet and S. S. Liu, “Continuous local anaesthetic wound infusion to improve post-operative outcome: back to the periphery?” Anaesthesiology, vol. 107, pp. 369–371, 2007.
- L. O. Andersen, H. Husted, B. B. Kristensen, K. S. Otte, L. Gaarn-Larsen, and H. Kehlet, “Analgesic efficacy of intracapsular and intra-articular local anaesthesia for knee arthroplasty,” Anaesthesia, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 904–912, 2010.
- C. Stein, K. Comisel, E. Haimerl et al., “Analgesic effect of intraarticular morphine after arthroscopic knee surgery,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 16, pp. 1123–1126, 1991.
- J. L. Pedersen, J. Lillesø, N. A. Hammer et al., “Bupivacaine in microcapsules prolongs analgesia after subcutaneous infiltration in humans: a dose-finding study,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 912–918, 2004.
- T. Wainwright and R. Middleton, “An orthopaedic enhanced recovery pathway,” Current Anaesthesia and Critical Care, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 114–120, 2010.
- H. Kehlet and L. O. Andersen, “Local infiltration analgesia in joint replacement: the evidence and recommendations for clinical practice,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 778–784, 2011.
- M. U. Werner, H. N. Mjöbo, P. R. Nielsen, and Å. Rudin, “Prediction of postoperative pain: a systematic review of predictive experimental pain studies,” Anesthesiology, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1494–1502, 2010.