- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Artificial Intelligence
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 139603, 10 pages
Evolutionary Computation for Label Layout on Unused Space of Stacked Graphs
1DHCJAC, Ritsumeikan University, Kuatsu, Shiga 525-877, Japan
2ISE, Ritsumeikan University, Kuatsu, Shiga 525-877, Japan
Received 22 November 2011; Accepted 22 December 2011
Academic Editors: W. Lam and C. Nikou
Copyright © 2012 Alejandro Toledo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Marks and S. Shieber, “The computational complexity of cartographic label placement,” Tech. Rep. TR-05-91, Center for Research in Computing Technology, Harvard University, 1991.
- J. Heer, F. B. Viégas, and M. Wattenberg, “Voyagers and voyeurs: supporting asynchronous collaborative visualization,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 87–97, 2009.
- M. Wattenberg and J. Kriss, “Designing for social data analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 549–557, 2006.
- L. Byron and M. Wattenberg, “Stacked graphs—Geometry & aesthetics,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1245–1252, 2008.
- A. Toledo, K. Sookhanaphibarn, R. Thawonmas, and F. Rinaldo, “Personalized recommendation in interactive visual analysis of stacked graphs,” Journal of ISRN Artificial Intelligence. In press.
- J. Li, C. Plaisant, and B. Shneiderman, “Data object and label placement for information abundant visualizations,” in Proceedings of the 7th ACM International Conference on Information and knowledge Management—Workshop on New Paradigms in Information Visualization (NPIV '98), pp. 41–48, Bethesda, Md, USA, November 1998.
- K. Ali, K. Hartmann, and T. Strothotte, “Label layout for interactive 3d illustrations,” Journal of the WSCG, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2005.
- I. Vollick, D. Vogel, M. Agrawala, and A. Hertzmann, “Specifying label layout style by example,” in Proceedings of the 20th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '07), pp. 221–230, Newport, RI, USA, October 2007.
- C. C. Lin, “Crossing-free many-to-one boundary labeling with hyperleaders,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis '10), pp. 185–192, March 2010.
- S. Havre, E. Hetzler, P. Whitney, and L. Nowell, “ThemeRiver: visualizing thematic changes in large document collections,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 2002.
- K. Hartmann, T. Gtzelmann, K. Ali, and T. Strothotte, “Metrics for functional and aesthetic label layouts,” in Smart Graphics, A. Butz, B. Fisher, A. Krger, and P. Olivier, Eds., vol. 3638 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, p. 924, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- J. Talbot, S. Lin, and P. Hanrahan, “An extension of Wilkinson's algorithm for positioning tick labels on axes,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1036–1043, 2010.
- M. Luboschik, H. Schumann, and H. Cords, “Particle-based labeling: fast point-feature labeling without obscuring other visual features,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1237–1244, 2008.
- J. A. A. Smither and C. C. Braun, “Readability of prescription drug labels by older and younger adults,” Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 149–159, 1994.
- D. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
- K. De Jong, Analysis of the behavior of a class of genetic adaptive systems, Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Michigan, 1975.
- A. Toledo, K. Sookhanaphibarn, R. Thawonmas, and F. Rinaldo, “Experimental evaluation of a stacked graph visualization,” in Proceedings of the Eurographics/IEEE Symposium on Visualization (EuroVis '10), Bordeaux, France, June 2010.