- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Astronomy and Astrophysics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 351747, 7 pages
Solution of the Lane-Emden Equation Using the Bernstein Operational Matrix of Integration
1Department of Mathematics, PDPM Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing Jabalpur, Airport Road, Madhya Pardish, Jabalpur 482005, India
2Department of Mathematics (DIPMAT), University of Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano, Italy
Received 28 November 2011; Accepted 22 December 2011
Academic Editors: M. Ding and J. Robertson
Copyright © 2011 Narayan Kumar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Riazi and M. R. Bordbar, “Generalized Lane-Emden equation and the structure of galactic dark matter,” International Journal of Theoretical Physics, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 495–510, 2006.
- H. J. de Vega and N. G. Sanchez, “Model-independent analysis of dark matter points to a particle mass at the keV scale,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, vol. 404, no. 2, pp. 885–894, 2010.
- G. E. Marsh, “Dark matter and charged exotic dust,” In press, http://arxiv.org/abs/1107.0315.
- J. H. Lane, “On theoretical temperature of the sun under the hypothesis of a gaseous mass maintaining its internal heat and depending on the laws of gases known to terrestrial experiment,” The American Journal of Science and Arts, vol. 50, pp. 57–74, 1870.
- R. Emden, Gaskugeln: Anwendungen der Mechanischen Wärmetheorie auf Kosmologische und Meteorologische Probleme, Teubner, Berlin, Germany, 1907.
- H. T. Davis, Introduction to Nonlinear Differential and Integral Equations, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- S. Chandrasekhar, Introduction to Study of Stellar Structure, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
- N. T. Shawagfeh, “Nonperturbative approximate solution for Lane-Emden equation,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 4364–4369, 1993.
- A. M. Wazwaz, “A new algorithm for solving differential equations of Lane-Emden type,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 118, no. 2-3, pp. 287–310, 2001.
- V. B. Mandelzweig and F. Tabakin, “Quasilinearization approach to nonlinear problems in physics with application to nonlinear ODEs,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 268–281, 2001.
- R. Krivec and V. B. Mandelzweig, “Numerical investigation of quasilinearization method in quantum mechanics,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 69–79, 2001.
- R. Krivec and V. B. Mandelzweig, “Quasilinearization approach to computations with singular potentials,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 179, no. 12, pp. 865–867, 2008.
- J. I. Ramos, “Linearization methods in classical and quantum mechanics,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 199–208, 2003.
- C. M. Khalique and P. Ntsime, “Exact solutions of the Lane-Emden-type equation,” New Astronomy, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 476–480, 2008.
- S. J. Liao, “A new analytic algorithm of Lane-Emden type equations,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2003.
- R. A. Van Gorder and K. Vajravelu, “Analytic and numerical solutions to the Lane-Emden equation,” Physics Letters, Section A, vol. 372, no. 39, pp. 6060–6065, 2008.
- A. Yildirim and T. Öziş, “Solutions of singular IVPs of Lane-Emden type by the variational iteration method,” Nonlinear Analysis, Theory, Methods and Applications, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 2480–2484, 2009.
- J. H. He, “Variational approach to the Lane-Emden equation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 143, no. 2-3, pp. 539–541, 2003.
- S. A. Yousefi, “Legendre wavelets method for solving differential equations of Lane-Emden type,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 1417–1422, 2006.
- H. R. Marzban, H. R. Tabrizidooz, and M. Razzaghi, “Hybrid functions for nonlinear initial-value problems with applications to Lane-Emden type equations,” Physics Letters, Section A, vol. 372, no. 37, pp. 5883–5886, 2008.
- M. Dehghan and F. Shakeri, “Approximate solution of a differential equation arising in astrophysics using the variational iteration method,” New Astronomy, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 2008.
- H. Adibi and A. M. Rismani, “On using a modified Legendre-spectral method for solving singular IVPs of Lane-Emden type,” Computers and Mathematics with Applications, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 2126–2130, 2010.
- O. P. Singh, R. K. Pandey, and V. K. Singh, “An analytic algorithm of Lane-Emden type equations arising in astrophysics using modified Homotopy analysis method,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 180, no. 7, pp. 1116–1124, 2009.
- C. Yang and J. Hou, “A Numerical Method for Lane-Emden Equations Using Chebyshev Polynomials and the Collocation Method,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computational and Information Sciences, pp. 97–100, 2010.
- K. Parand, M. Dehghan, A. R. Rezaei, and S. M. Ghaderi, “An approximation algorithm for the solution of the nonlinear Lane-Emden type equations arising in astrophysics using Hermite functions collocation method,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 181, no. 6, pp. 1096–1108, 2010.
- K. Parand, A. R. Rezaei, and A. Taghavi, “Lagrangian method for solving LaneEmden type equation arising in astrophysics on semi-infinite domains,” Acta Astronautica, vol. 67, no. 7-8, pp. 673–680, 2010.
- K. Parand, S. Abbasbandy, S. Kazem, and A. R. Rezaei, “An improved numerical method for a class of astrophysics problems based on radial basis functions,” Physica Scripta, vol. 83, no. 1, article 015011, 2011.
- A. H. Bhrawy and A. S. Alofi, “A Jacobi-Gauss collocation method for solving nonlinear Lane-Emden type equations,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 62–70, 2012.
- S. Iqbal and A. Javed, “Application of optimal homotopy asymptotic method for the analytic solution of singular Lane-Emden type equation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 217, no. 19, pp. 7753–7761, 2011.
- R. A. Van Gorder, “Exact first integrals for a Lane-Emden equation of the second kind modeling a thermal explosion in a rectangular slab,” Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, vol. 109, pp. 137–145, 2011.
- R. A. Van Gorder, “An elegant perturbation solution for the Lane-Emden equation of the second kind,” New Astronomy, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 65–67, 2011.
- S. Bernstein, “Démonstration du théorème de Weierstrass fondée sur le calcul des probabilities,” Communications of the Kharkov Mathematical Society, vol. 13, pp. 1–2, 1912.
- A. Kilicman and Z. A. A. Al Zhour, “Kronecker operational matrices for fractional calculus and some applications,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 187, no. 1, pp. 250–265, 2007.