- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 287158, 9 pages
A Sequence-Specific Nicking Endonuclease from Streptomyces: Purification, Physical and Catalytic Properties
1Interdisciplinary Program in Genetic Engineering, Kasetsart University, Bangkok 10900, Thailand
2Department of Microbiology, Kasetsart University, Bangkok 10900, Thailand
3Department of Biochemistry, Kasetsart University, Bangkok 10900, Thailand
Received 12 June 2013; Accepted 17 July 2013
Academic Editors: C. F. S. Bonafe and L. S. Chang
Copyright © 2013 Peechapack Somyoonsap et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Pingoud, M. Fuxreiter, V. Pingoud, and W. Wende, “Type II restriction endonucleases: structure and mechanism,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 685–707, 2005.
- R. J. Roberts, T. Vincze, J. P. Posfai, and D. Macelis, “REBASE: restriction enzymes and methyltransferases,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 418–420, 2003.
- T. A. Bickle and D. H. Kruger, “Biology of DNA restriction,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 434–450, 1993.
- M. Mucke, D. H. Kruger, and M. Reuter, “Diversity of Type II restriction endonucleases that require two DNA recognition sites,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 21, pp. 6079–6084, 2003.
- J. J. Perona, “Type II restriction endonucleases,” Methods, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 353–364, 2002.
- Y. Kim, J. C. Grable, R. Love, P. J. Greene, and J. M. Rosenberg, “Refinement of Eco RI endonuclease crystal structure: a revised protein chain tracing,” Science, vol. 249, no. 4974, pp. 1307–1309, 1990.
- M. Newman, T. Strzelecka, L. F. Dorner, I. Schildkraut, and A. K. Aggarwal, “Structure of Bam HI endonuclease bound to DNA: partial folding and unfolding on DNA binding,” Science, vol. 269, no. 5224, pp. 656–663, 1995.
- A. Pingoud and A. Jeltsch, “Structure and function of type II restriction endonucleases,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 29, no. 18, pp. 3705–3727, 2001.
- A. J. Bath, S. E. Milsom, N. A. Gormley, and S. E. Halford, “Many type IIs restriction endonucleases interact with two recognition sites before cleaving DNA,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 6, pp. 4024–4033, 2002.
- D. A. Wah, J. A. Hirsch, L. F. Dorner, I. Schildkraut, and A. K. Aggarwal, “Structure of the multimodular endonuclease FokI bound to DNA,” Nature, vol. 388, no. 6637, pp. 97–100, 1997.
- É. S. Vanamee, S. Santagata, and A. K. Aggarwal, “FokI requires two specific DNA sites for cleavage,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 309, no. 1, pp. 69–78, 2001.
- D. H. Krüger, G. J. Barcak, M. Reuter, and H. O. Smith, “EcoRII can be activated to cleave refractory DNA recognition sites,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 3997–4008, 1988.
- G. Tamulaitis, G. Sasnauskas, M. Mucke, and V. Siksnys, “Simultaneous binding of three recognition sites is necessary for a concerted plasmid DNA cleavage by EcoRII restriction endonuclease,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 358, no. 2, pp. 406–419, 2006.
- M. Conrad and M. D. Topal, “DNA and spermidine provide a switch mechanism to regulate the activity of restriction enzyme Nae I,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 24, pp. 9707–9711, 1989.
- D. Bozic, S. Grazulis, V. Siksnys, and R. Huber, “Crystal structure of Citrobacter freundii restriction endonuclease Cfr10I at 2.15 Å resolution,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 255, no. 1, pp. 176–186, 1996.
- M. Deibert, S. Grazulis, G. Sasnauskas, V. Siksnys, and R. Huber, “Structure of the tetrameric restriction endonuclease NgoMIV in complex with cleaved DNA,” Nature Structural Biology, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 792–799, 2000.
- M. Zaremba, G. Sasnauskas, C. Urbanke, and V. Siksnys, “Conversion of the tetrameric restriction endonuclease Bse634I into a dimer: oligomeric structure-stability-function correlations,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 459–478, 2005.
- Y. Xu, K. D. Lunnen, and H. Kong, “Engineering a nicking endonuclease N.Alwl by domain swapping,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 23, pp. 12990–12995, 2001.
- A. Joneja and X. Huang, “Linear nicking endonuclease-mediated strand-displacement DNA amplification,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 414, no. 1, pp. 58–69, 2011.
- M. Kataoka, K. Ueda, T. Kudo, T. Seki, and T. Yoshida, “Application of the variable region in 16S rDNA to create an index for rapid species identification in the genus Streptomyces,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 249–255, 1997.
- T. Kieser, M. J. Bibb, M. J. Buttner, K. F. Chater, and D. A. Hopwood, Practical Streptomyces Genetics, John Innes Foundation, Norwich, UK, 2000.
- S. F. Altschul, W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers, and D. J. Lipman, “Basic local alignment search tool,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 1990.
- D. J. Wright, W. E. Jack, and P. Modrich, “The kinetic mechanism of EcoRI endonuclease,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 45, pp. 31896–31902, 1999.
- P. Hensley, G. Nardone, J. G. Chirikjian, and M. E. Wastney, “The time-resolved kinetics of superhelical DNA cleavage by BamHI restriction endonuclease,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 265, no. 25, pp. 15300–15307, 1990.
- L. S. Higgins, C. Besnier, and H. Kong, “The nicking endonuclease N.BstNBI is closely related to Type IIs restriction endonucleases Mlyl and Plel,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2492–2501, 2001.
- L. Li, L. P. Wu, and S. Chandrasegaran, “Functional domains in Fok I restriction endonuclease,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 4275–4279, 1992.
- P. Modrich and D. Zabel, “EcoRI endonuclease. Physical and catalytic properties of the homogeneous enzyme,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 251, no. 19, pp. 5866–5874, 1976.
- T. R. Gingeras, L. Greenough, I. Schildkraut, and R. J. Roberts, “Two new restriction endonucleases from Proteus vulgaris,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 9, no. 18, pp. 4525–4536, 1981.
- T. F. Meyer and K. Geider, “Bacteriophage fd gene II-protein. II. Specific cleavage and relaxation of supercoiled RF from filamentous phages,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 254, no. 24, pp. 12642–12646, 1979.
- T.-L. Chang, M. G. Kramer, R. A. Ansari, and S. A. Khan, “Role of individual monomers of a dimeric initiator protein in the initiation and termination of plasmid rolling circle replication,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 18, pp. 13529–13534, 2000.
- E. Yokoyama, Y. Matsuzaki, K. Doi, and S. Ogata, “Gene encoding a replication initiator protein and replication origin of conjugative plasmid pSA1.1 of Streptomyces cyaneus ATCC 14921,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 103–109, 1998.
- K. G. Au, K. Welsh, and P. Modrich, “Initiation of methyl-directed mismatch repair,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 17, pp. 12142–12148, 1992.
- S. Niu, Q. Li, L. Qu, and W. Wang, “Nicking endonuclease and target recycles signal amplification assisted quantum dots for fluorescence detection of DNA,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 680, no. 1-2, pp. 54–58, 2010.