- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 353598, 8 pages
CD133 Staining Detects Acute Kidney Injury and Differentiates Clear Cell Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma from Other Renal Tumors
1Department of Anatomic Pathology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
2Department of Nephrology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
3Department of Urology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
4Research Institute, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 8 May 2013
Academic Editors: H.-L. Chan and R. H. Dammann
Copyright © 2013 John D. Schwartz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. D. Humphreys, M. T. Valerius, A. Kobayashi et al., “Intrinsic epithelial cells repair the kidney after injury,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 284–291, 2008.
- B. D. Humphreys, S. Czerniak, D. P. DiRocco, W. Hasnain, R. Cheema, and J. V. Bonventre, “Repair of injured proximal tubule does not involve specialized progenitors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 22, pp. 9226–9231, 2011.
- J. V. Bonventre, “Dedifferentiation and proliferation of surviving epithelial cells in acute renal failure,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. S55–S61, 2003.
- D. Lindgren, A. K. Boström, K. Nilsson et al., “Isolation and characterization of progenitor-like cells from human renal proximal tubules,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 828–837, 2011.
- S. A. Mani, W. Guo, M. J. Liao et al., “The epithelial-mesenchymal transition generates cells with properties of stem cells,” Cell, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 704–715, 2008.
- B. Bussolati, A. Brossa, and G. Camussi, “Resident stem cells and renal carcinoma,” International Journal of Nephrology, vol. 2011, Article ID 286985, 6 pages, 2011.
- D. Mizrak, M. Brittan, and M. R. Alison, “CD 133: molecule of the moment,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2008.
- C. Sagrinati, G. S. Netti, B. Mazzinghi et al., “Isolation and characterization of multipotent progenitor cells from the Bowman's capsule of adult human kidneys,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2443–2456, 2006.
- E. Lazzeri, C. Crescioli, E. Ronconi et al., “Regenerative potential of embryonic renal multipotent progenitors in acute renal failure,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 3128–3138, 2007.
- B. Smeets, M. L. Angelotti, P. Rizzo et al., “Renal progenitor cells contribute to hyperplastic lesions of podocytopathies and crescentic glomerulonephritis,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2593–2603, 2009.
- E. Ronconi, C. Sagrinati, M. L. Angelotti et al., “Regeneration of glomerular podocytes by human renal progenitors,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 322–332, 2009.
- B. Bussolati, S. Bruno, C. Grange et al., “Isolation of renal progenitor cells from adult human kidney,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 545–555, 2005.
- A. Loverre, C. Capobianco, P. Ditonno, M. Battaglia, G. Grandaliano, and F. P. Schena, “Increase of proliferating renal progenitor cells in acute tubular necrosis underlying delayed graft function,” Transplantation, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 1112–1119, 2008.
- K. Kim, B. H. Park, H. Ihm et al., “Expression of stem cell marker CD133 in fetal and adult human kidneys and pauci-immune crescentic glomerulonephritis,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 223–232, 2011.
- M. L. Angelotti, E. Ronconi, L. Ballerini et al., “Characterization of renal progenitors committed toward tubular lineage and their regenerative potential in renal tubular injury,” Stem Cell, vol. 30, pp. 1714–1725, 2012.
- S. Bruno, B. Bussolati, C. Grange et al., “CD133+ renal progenitor cells contribute to tumor angiogenesis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 169, no. 6, pp. 2223–2235, 2006.
- S. K. Tickoo, M. N. DePeralta-Venturina, L. R. Harik et al., “Spectrum of epithelial neoplasms in end-stage renal disease: an experience from 66 tumor-bearing kidneys with emphasis on histologic patterns distinct from those in sporadic adult renal neoplasia,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 141–153, 2006.
- P. L. Zhang, L. I. Rothblum, W. K. Han, T. M. Blasick, S. Potdar, and J. V. Bonventre, “Kidney injury molecule-1 expression in transplant biopsies is a sensitive measure of cell injury,” Kidney International, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 608–614, 2008.
- T. Ichimura, E. J. P. V. Asseldonk, B. D. Humphreys, L. Gunaratnam, J. S. Duffield, and J. V. Bonventre, “Kidney injury molecule-1 is a phosphatidylserine receptor that confers a phagocytic phenotype on epithelial cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 1657–1668, 2008.
- J. F. Brennan, M. M. Stilmant, R. K. Babayan, and M. B. Siroky, “Acquired renal cystic disease: implications for the urologist,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 342–348, 1991.
- M. A. Matson and E. P. Cohen, “Acquired cystic kidney disease: occurrence, prevalence, and renal cancers,” Medicine, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 217–226, 1990.
- M. D. Denton, C. C. Magee, C. Ovuworie et al., “Prevalence of renal cell carcinoma in patients with ESRD pre-transplantation: a pathologic analysis,” Kidney International, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 2201–2209, 2002.
- B. Bussolati, S. Bruno, C. Grange, U. Ferrando, and G. Camussi, “Identification of a tumor-initiating stem cell population in human renal carcinomas,” FASEB Journal, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 3696–3705, 2008.
- S. Gobbo, J. N. Eble, D. J. Grignon et al., “Clear cell papillary renal cell carcinoma: a distinct histopathologic and molecular genetic entity,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1239–1245, 2008.