- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 474107, 5 pages
Microsatellite Instability in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Study of a Brazilian Population
1Núcleo de Genética Humana e Molecular, Departamento de Ciências Biológicas, Centro de Ciências Humanas e Naturais, Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo, Avenida Marechal Campos, 1468, Maruípe, 29043-900 Vitória, ES, Brazil
2Hospital Santa Rita de Cássia, Setor de Patologia, Vitória, ES, Brazil
Received 9 September 2013; Accepted 28 October 2013
Academic Editors: H.-L. Chan, A. Debucquoy, and M. Lotfy
Copyright © 2013 Elaine Stur et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Bauman, L. S. Michel, and C. H. Chung, “New promising molecular targets in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 235–242, 2012.
- J. Ferlay, H. R. Shin, F. Bray, et al., “GLOBOCAN 2008, cancer incidence and mortality worldwide,” in IARC CancerBase No. 10, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2010, http://globocan.iarc.fr.
- M. L. Gillison, “Current topics in the epidemiology of oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancers,” Head and Neck, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 779–792, 2007.
- H. De Schutter, M. Spaepen, W. H. Mc Bride, and S. Nuyts, “The clinical relevance of microsatellite alterations in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a critical review,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 734–741, 2007.
- I. J. Hoogsteen, H. A. M. Marres, J. Bussink, A. J. Van Der Kogel, and J. H. A. M. Kaanders, “Tumor microenvironment in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas: predictive value and clinical relevance of hypoxic markers. A review,” Head and Neck, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 591–604, 2007.
- S. Marur and A. A. Forastiere, “Head and neck cancer: changing epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 489–501, 2008.
- J. Colombo and P. Rahal, “Genética de cancer de cabeça e pescoço,” Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Cancerologia, vol. 55, pp. 165–174, 2009.
- R. H. Brakenhoff, “Another NOTCH for cancer,” Science, vol. 333, article 1102, 2011.
- S. Han, Y. Chen, X. Ge et al., “Epidemiology and cost analysis for patients with oral cancer in a university hospital in China,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 196, 2010.
- L. D. M. Alvarenga, M. T. Ruiz, É. C. Pavarino-Bertelli, M. J. C. Ruback, J. V. Maniglia, and E. M. Goloni-Bertollo, “Epidemiologic evaluation of head and neck patients in a university hospital of Northwestern São Paulo State,” Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 2008.
- R. A. Dedivitis, C. M. França, A. C. B. Mafra, F. T. Guimarães, and A. V. Guimarães, “Clinic and epidemiologic characteristics in the with squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth and oropharynx,” Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2004.
- H. Arabi, H. Guan, S. Kumar et al., “Impact of microsatellite instability (MSI) on survival in high grade endometrial carcinoma,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 153–158, 2009.
- J. G. Martínez, J. Pérez-Escuredo, F. López, et al., “Microsatellite instability analysis of sinonasal carcinomas,” Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 140, pp. 55–60, 2009.
- S. E. Goelz, S. R. Hamilton, and B. Vogelstein, “Purification of DNA from formaldehyde fixed and paraffin embedded human tissue,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 118–126, 1985.
- E. V. Wolfgramm, L. N. R. Alves, E. Stur, et al., “Analisys of genome instability in breast cancer,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 40, pp. 2139–2144, 2013.
- S. Chakrabarti, S. Dasgupta, S. Roy et al., “Microsatellite instability in squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck from the Indian patient population,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 555–561, 2001.
- M. M. Sasiadek, A. Stembalska-Kozlowska, R. Smigiel, D. Ramsey, T. Kayademir, and N. Blin, “Impairment of MLHI and CDKN2A in oncogenesis of laryngeal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 1594–1599, 2004.
- H. de Schutter, M. Spaepen, S. Van Opstal, V. Vander Poorten, E. Verbeken, and S. Nuyts, “The prevalence of microsatellite instability in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 485–490, 2009.
- V. A. Stepanov, M. G. Spiridonova, V. N. Tadinova, et al., “Analysis of genetic diversity of population of Northern Eurasia from autosomal microsatellite loci,” Genetika, vol. 39, pp. 1381–1388, 2003.
- A. Mukherjee, T. J. McGarrity, F. Ruggiero et al., “The revised Bethesda guidelines: extent of utilization in a university hospital medical center with a cancer genetics program,” Hereditary Cancer in Clinical Practice, vol. 8, no. 1, article 9, 2010.
- Z. Yalniz, S. Demokan, Y. Suoglu, M. Ulusan, and N. Dalay, “Assessment of microsatellite instability in head and neck cancer using consensus markers,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 3541–3545, 2010.
- M. Mrkonjic, N. M. Roslin, C. M. Greenwood et al., “Specific variants in the MLH1 gene region may drive DNA methylation, loss of protein expression, and MSI-H colorectal cancer,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13314, 2010.
- Q. Wu and K. M. Vasquez, “Human MLH1 protein participates in genomic damage checkpoint signaling in response to DNA interstrand crosslinks, while MSH2 functions in DNA repair,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 4, no. 9, Article ID e1000189, 2008.
- R. J. Hardwick, M. V. Tretyakov, and Y. E. Dubrova, “Age-related accumulation of mutations supports a replication-dependent mechanism of spontaneous mutation at tandem repeat DNA loci in mice,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 2647–2654, 2009.