- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Cell Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 847974, 11 pages
Nitric Oxide Synthase Inhibitors Modulate Nerve-Growth-Factor Mediated Activation of Akt
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College (OVC), University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
Received 30 October 2011; Accepted 17 November 2011
Academic Editors: M. Acevedo-Duncan and Z. Pan
Copyright © 2012 Cheryl L. Cragg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. R. Kaplan and R. M. Stephens, “Neurotrophin signal transduction by the Trk receptor,” Journal of Neurobiology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1404–1417, 1994.
- D. Fulton, J. P. Gratton, T. J. McCabe et al., “Regulation of endothelium-derived nitric oxide production by the protein kinase Akt,” Nature, vol. 399, no. 6736, pp. 597–601, 1999.
- J. C. Binnington and B. E. Kalisch, “Nitric oxide synthase inhibitors modulate nerve growth factor-mediated regulation of amyloid precursor protein expression in PC12 cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 422–433, 2007.
- B. E. Kalisch, N. A. Bock, W. L. Davis, and R. J. Rylett, “Inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase attenuate nerve growth factor-mediated increases in choline acetyltransferase expression in PC12 cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 624–635, 2002.
- N. Peunova and G. Enikolopov, “Nitric oxide triggers a switch to growth arrest during differentiation of neuronal cells,” Nature, vol. 375, no. 6526, pp. 68–73, 1995.
- Y. T. Phung, J. M. Bekker, O. G. Hallmark, and S. M. Black, “Both neuronal NO synthase and nitric oxide are required for PC12 cell differentiation: a cGMP independent pathway,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 165–178, 1999.
- Y. Kim, R. Seger, C. V. Suresh Babu, S. Y. Hwang, and Y. S. Yoo, “A positive role of the PI3-K/Akt signaling pathway in PC12 cell differentiation,” Molecules and Cells, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 353–359, 2004.
- R. J. Crowder and R. S. Freeman, “Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and Akt protein kinase are necessary and sufficient for the survival of nerve growth factor-dependent sympathetic neurons,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 2933–2943, 1998.
- R. Yao and G. M. Cooper, “Requirement for phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase in the prevention of apoptosis by nerve growth factor,” Science, vol. 267, no. 5206, pp. 2003–2006, 1995.
- B. Mayer, K. Schmidt, P. Humbert, and E. Bohme, “Biosynthesis of endothelium-derived relaxing factor: a cytosolic enzyme in porcine aortic endothelial cells Ca2+-dependently converts L-arginine into an activator of soluble guanylyl cyclase,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 678–685, 1989.
- A. M. Sheehy, Y. T. Phung, R. K. Riemer, and S. M. Black, “Growth factor induction of nitric oxide synthase in rat pheochromocytoma cells,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 1997.
- M. Sano, I. Sato-Suzuki, H. Fujita, I. Morita, M. Nagao, and S. Murota, “NO is not involved in the simvastatin induced cell division and differentiation in PC12 cells,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 243, no. 1–3, pp. 73–76, 1998.
- H. M. Lander, J. S. Ogiste, K. K. Teng, and A. Novogrodsky, “P21ras as a common signaling target of reactive free radicals and cellular redox stress,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 36, pp. 21195–21198, 1995.
- B. I. Kanterewicz, L. T. Knapp, and E. Klann, “Stimulation of p42 and p44 mitogen-activated protein kinases by reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide in hippocampus,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 1009–1016, 1998.
- S. O. Kim, Y. Xu, S. Katz, and S. Pelech, “Cyclic GMP-dependent and -independent regulation of MAP kinases by sodium nitroprusside in isolated cardiomyocytes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1496, no. 2-3, pp. 277–284, 2000.
- M. Llansola, R. Sáez, and V. Felipo, “NMDA-induced phosphorylation of the microtubule-associated protein MAP-2 is mediated by activation of nitric oxide synthase and MAP kinase,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1283–1291, 2001.
- H. P. Monteiro, J. Gruia-Gray, T. M. Peranovich, L. C. de Oliveira, and A. Stern, “Nitric oxide stimulates tyrosine phosphorylation of focal adhesion kinase, SRC kinase, and mitogen-activated protein kinases in murine fibroblasts,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 174–182, 2000.
- H. Y. Yun, M. Gonzalez-Zulueta, V. L. Dawson, and T. M. Dawson, “Nitric oxide mediates N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-induced activation of p21ras,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 5773–5778, 1998.
- R. S. Jope, L. Zhang, and L. Song, “Peroxynitrite modulates the activation of p38 and extracellular regulated kinases in PC12 cells,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 376, no. 2, pp. 365–370, 2000.
- P. Zhang, Y. Z. Wang, E. Kagan, and J. C. Bonner, “Peroxynitrite targets the epidermal growth factor receptor, Raf-1, and MEK independently to activate MAPK,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 29, pp. 22479–22486, 2000.
- B. E. Kalisch, C. S. Demeris, M. Ishak, and R. J. Rylett, “Modulation of nerve growth factor-induced activation of MAP kinase in PC12 cells by inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1321–1332, 2003.
- K. S. Ha, K. M. Kim, Y. G. Kwon et al., “Nitric oxide prevents 6-hydroxydopamine-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells through cGMP-dependent PI3 kinase/Akt activation,” FASEB Journal, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1036–1047, 2003.
- D. S. Hartman and C. Hertel, “Nerve growth factor-induced differentiation in neuroblastoma cells expressing TrkA but lacking p75NGFR,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1261–1270, 1994.
- W. Wang, S. M. Dostaler, G. Lawrance, G. M. Ross, R. J. Riopelle, and K. E. Dow, “Effects of a peptide analogue of the amphiphilic domain of the common neurotrophin receptor on nerve growth factor-mediated motility of human neuroblastoma cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 2327–2335, 1998.
- P. Kahle, M. Mangold, T. Kuwahara, R. Schubenel, and C. Hertel, “Protein kinase inhibitor H-7 differentially affects early and delayed nerve growth factor responses in PC12 cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 479–488, 1994.
- B. Madziar, I. Lopez-Coviella, V. Zemelko, and B. Berse, “Regulation of cholinergic gene expression by nerve growth factor depends on the phosphatidylinositol-3'-kinase pathway,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 767–779, 2005.
- J. L. Pongrac and R. J. Rylett, “NGF-induction of the expression of ChAT mRNA in PC12 cells and primary cultures of embryonic rat basal forebrain,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1998.
- G. J. Southan, C. Szabo, and C. Thiemermann, “Isothioureas: potent inhibitors of nitric oxide synthases with variable isoform selectivity,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 510–516, 1995.
- E. Satoh, I. Yasuda, T. Yamada, Y. Suzuki, and T. Ohyashiki, “Involvement of NO generation in aluminum-induced cell death,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1390–1394, 2007.
- S. Bapat, A. Verkleij, and J. A. Post, “Peroxynitrite activates mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) via a MEK-independent pathway: a role for protein kinase C,” FEBS Letters, vol. 499, no. 1-2, pp. 21–26, 2001.
- M. Liang and F. G. Knox, “Nitric oxide activates PKCα and inhibits Na+-K+-ATPase in opossum kidney cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 277, no. 6, pp. F859–F865, 1999.
- W. H. Zheng, S. Kar, and R. Quirion, “Stimulation of protein kinase C modulates insulin-like growth factor-1- induced Akt activation in PC12 cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 18, pp. 13377–13385, 2000.
- A. Markus, J. Zhong, and W. D. Snider, “Raf and Akt mediate distinct aspects of sensory axon growth,” Neuron, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 2002.
- E. J. Huang and L. F. Reichardt, “Trk receptors: roles in neuronal signal transduction,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 72, pp. 609–642, 2003.
- C. M. Schonhoff, D. A. Bulseco, D. M. Brancho, L. F. Parada, and A. H. Ross, “The Ras-ERK pathway is required for the induction of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in differentiating PC12 cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 631–639, 2001.
- A. Uruno, A. Sugawara, H. Kanatsuka et al., “Upregulation of nitric oxide production in vascular endothelial cells by all-trans retinoic acid through the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 727–736, 2005.