- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 275371, 8 pages
Heterogeneous Photocatalytic Degradation of Dairy Wastewater Using Immobilized ZnO
Department of Chemical Engineering, Engineering School of Lorena, University of São Paulo (USP), Estrada Municipal do Campinho, s/n°, Bairro do Campinho, 12600-000 Lorena, SP, Brazil
Received 4 June 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editors: M. A. Oturan and I. Poulios
Copyright © 2012 Gisella R. Lamas Samanamud et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Vourch, B. Balannec, B. Chaufer, and G. Dorange, “Treatment of dairy industry wastewater by reverse osmosis for water reuse,” Desalination, vol. 219, no. 1–3, pp. 190–202, 2008.
- B. Sarkar, P. P. Chakrabarti, A. Vijaykumar, and V. Kale, “Wastewater treatment in dairy industries—possibility of reuse,” Desalination, vol. 195, no. 1–3, pp. 141–152, 2006.
- S. Göblös, P. Portöro, D. Bordás, M. Kálmán, and I. Kiss, “Comparison of the effectivities of two-phase and single-phase anaerobic sequencing batch reactors during dairy wastewater treatment,” Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 960–965, 2008.
- W. Janczukowicz, M. Zieliński, and M. Debowski, “Biodegradability evaluation of dairy effluents originated in selected sections of dairy production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 4199–4205, 2008.
- J. S. Carrocci, R. Y. Mori, O. L. C. Guimarães, and H. J. Izário Filho, “Tratamento de vinhaça utilizando processo físico-química e processo Foto-Fenton,” in 25th Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Sanitária e Ambiental, Recife, Brazil, 2009.
- F. H. Borba, P. R. S. Sottoriva, and A. N. Modenes, “Tratamento do efluente madeireiro por processo foto-Fenton—treatment of timber effluent by photo-Fenton process,” Estudos Tecnológicos, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2008.
- E. Guivarch, S. Trevin, C. Lahitte, and M. A. Oturan, “Degradation of azo dyes in water by Electro-Fenton process,” Environmental Chemistry Letters, vol. 1, pp. 38–44, 2003.
- B. Boye, M. M. Dieng, and E. Brillas, “Degradation of herbicide 4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid by advanced electrochemical oxidation methods,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. 3030–3035, 2002.
- E. Brillas and J. Casado, “Aniline degradation by Electro-Fenton® and peroxi-coagulation processes using a flow reactor for wastewater treatment,” Chemosphere, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 241–248, 2002.
- B. J. Liu, T. Torimoto, and H. Yoneyama, “Photocatalytic reduction of CO2 using surface-modified CdS photocatalysts in organic solvents,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 1998.
- H. Wang, C. Xie, W. Zhang, S. Cai, Z. Yang, and Y. Gui, “Comparison of dye degradation efficiency using ZnO powders with various size scales,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 645–652, 2007.
- S. S. Silva, F. Magalhães, and M. T. C. Sansiviero, “ZnO/TiO2 semiconductor nanocomposites. Photocatalytic tests,” Quimica Nova, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 85–89, 2010.
- M. R. Hoffmann, S. T. Martin, W. Choi, and D. W. Bahnemann, “Environmental applications of semiconductor photocatalysis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 69–96, 1995.
- A. A. Khodja, T. Sehili, J. F. Pilichowski, and P. Boule, “Photocatalytic degradation of 2-phenylphenol on TiO2 and ZnO in aqueous suspensions,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 141, no. 2-3, pp. 231–239, 2001.
- N. Daneshvar, D. Salari, and A. R. Khataee, “Photocatalytic degradation of azo dye acid red 14 in water on ZnO as an alternative catalyst to TiO2,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 162, no. 2-3, pp. 317–322, 2004.
- M. A. Behnajady, N. Modirshahla, and R. Hamzavi, “Kinetic study on photocatalytic degradation of C.I. Acid Yellow 23 by ZnO photocatalyst,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 133, no. 1–3, pp. 226–232, 2006.
- I. K. Konstantinou and T. A. Albanis, “TiO2-assisted photocatalytic degradation of azo dyes in aqueous solution: kinetic and mechanistic investigations: a review,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2004.
- J. A. Byrne, B. R. Eggins, N. M. D. Brown, B. McKinney, and M. Rouse, “Immobilisation of TiO2 powder for the treatment of polluted water,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 17, no. 1-2, pp. 25–36, 1998.
- M. A. Behnajady, N. Modirshahla, N. Daneshvar, and M. Rabbani, “Photocatalytic degradation of C.I. Acid Red 27 by immobilized ZnO on glass plates in continuous-mode,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 140, no. 1-2, pp. 257–263, 2007.
- M. R. Dhananjeyan, J. Kiwi, and K. R. Thampi, “Photocatalytic performance of TiO2 and Fe2O3 immobilized on derivatized polymer films for mineralisation of pollutants,” Chemical Communications, no. 15, pp. 1443–1444, 2000.
- S. Sakthivel, B. Neppolian, M. V. Shankar, B. Arabindoo, M. Palanichamy, and V. Murugesan, “Solar photocatalytic degradation of azo dye: comparison of photocatalytic efficiency of ZnO and TiO2,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 65–82, 2003.
- M. Trillas, J. Peral, and X. Domènech, “Redox photodegradation of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid over TiO2,” Applied Catalysis B, Environmental, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 377–387, 1995.
- K. Kobayakawa, C. Sato, Y. Sato, and A. Fujishima, “Continuous-flow photoreactor packed with titanium dioxide immobilized on large silica gel beads to decompose oxalic acid in excess water,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 1998.
- G. R. R. A. Kumara, F. M. Sultanbawa, V. P. S. Perera, I. R. M. Kottegoda, and K. Tennakone, “Continuous flow photochemical reactor for solar decontamination of water using immobilized TiO2,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 167–171, 1999.
- R. E. Bruns, I. S. Scarminio, and B. Barros Neto, “Como Fazer Experimentos,” Editora Unicamp, Campinas, Brazil, pp. 401, 2003.
- W. F. Jardim and M. C. Canela, “Caderno temático: fundamentos da oxidação química no tratamento de efluente e remediação de solos,” Iq/unicamp, uenfirj, Campinas, Brazil, 2004.