- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 608645, 4 pages
A Convenient Utility Function with Giffen Behaviour
Department of Social Sciences, Wageningen University and Research Centre, P.O. Box 8130, 6700 EW Wageningen, The Netherlands
Received 22 August 2012; Accepted 19 September 2012
Academic Editors: C. Fluet and T. Kuosmanen
Copyright © 2012 Rein Haagsma. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Marshall, Principles of Economics. An Introductory Volume, Macmillan, London, UK, 3rd edition, 1895.
- A. Marshall, Principles of Economics. An IntroductoryVolume, Macmillan, London, UK, 8th edition, 1956.
- G. J. Stigler, “Notes on the history of the Giffen paradox,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 152–156, 1947.
- R. G. Lipsey and G. Rosenbluth, “A contribution to the new theory of demand: a rehabilitation of the Giffen good,” Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 131–163, 1971.
- W. R. Dougan, “Giffen goods and the law of demand,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 809–815, 1982.
- P. C. Dooley, “Why did Marshall introduce the Giffen paradox?” History of Political Economy, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 749–752, 1992.
- J. E. Davis, “Giffen goods, the survival imperative, and the Irish potato culture,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 547–565, 1994.
- J. H. Nachbar, “The last word on Giffen goods?” Economic Theory, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 403–412, 1998.
- P. A. Samuelson, Economics: An Introductory Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1964.
- G. P. Dwyer and C. M. Lindsay, “Robert Giffen and the Irish potato,” American Economic Review, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 188–192, 1984.
- S. Rosen, “Potato paradoxes,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. S294–S313, 1999.
- R. T. Jensen and N. H. Miller, “Giffen behavior and subsistence consumption,” American Economic Review, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 1553–1577, 2008.
- W. Heijman and P. van Mouche, “On simple concrete Giffen utility functions: old and new results,” in New Insights into the Theory of Giffen Behaviour, W. Heijman and P. van Mouche, Eds., Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- H. Wold, “On Giffen's paradox,” Nordisk Tiddskrift for Teknisk Ökonomi, vol. 12, pp. 283–290, 1948.
- H. Wold and L. Juréen, Demand Analysis. A Study in Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1953.
- D. W. Katzner, Static Demand Theory, Macmillan, New York, NY, USA, 1970.
- C. E. Weber, “The case of a Giffen good: comment,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 28, pp. 137–147, 1997.
- D. C. Vandermeulen, “Upward sloping demand curves without the Giffen paradox,” American Economic Review, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 453–458, 1972.
- E. Silberberg and D. A. Walker, “A modern analysis of Giffen's paradox,” International Economic Review, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 687–694, 1984.
- U. Spiegel, “The case of a ‘Giffen good’,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 137–147, 1994.
- P. N. Sørensen, “Simple utility functions with giffen demand,” Economic Theory, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 367–370, 2007.
- D. J. Butler and P. G. Moffatt, “The demand for goods under mixture aversion,” Manchester School, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 349–359, 2000.
- J. Doi, K. Iwasa, and K. Shimomura, “Giffen behavior independent of the wealth level,” Economic Theory, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 247–267, 2009.
- E. E. Slutsky, “On the theory of the budget of the consumer,” in Readings in Price Theory, G. J. Stigler and K. E. Boulding, Eds., George Allen & Unwin, London, UK, 1956.
- H. H. Liebhafsky, “New thoughts about inferior goods,” American Economic Review, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 931–934, 1969.
- M. E. Yaari, “A note on separability and quasiconcavity,” Econometrica, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1183–1186, 1977.
- J. R. Hicks and R. G. D. Allen, “A reconsideration of the theory of value: part I,” Economica, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 52–76, 1934.
- G. J. Stigler, “The development of utility theory: II,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 373–396, 1950.
- M. Blaug, Economic Theory in Retrospect, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 5th edition, 1997.