- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 564784, 7 pages
Comparison of Single-Walled and Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes Durability as Pt Support in Gas Diffusion Electrodes
NFCS, NSTRI, Tehran, P.O. Box 11365-8486, Iran
Received 31 October 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editors: S. Park, W. Xing, and S. Yoon
Copyright © 2013 Mehdi Asgari and Elaheh Lohrasbi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Thompsett, W. Vielstich, A. Lamm, and H. A. Gasteiger, Handbook of Fuel Cells, Fundamentals Technology and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- E. Antolini, “Formation, microstructural characteristics and stability of carbon supported platinum catalysts for low temperature fuel cells,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 2995–3005, 2003.
- J. Xie, D. L. Wood, K. L. More, P. Atanassov, and R. L. Borup, “Microstructural changes of membrane electrode assemblies during PEFC durability testing at high humidity conditions,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 152, no. 5, pp. A1011–A1020, 2005.
- X. Cheng, L. Chen, C. Peng, Z. Chen, Y. Zhang, and Q. Fan, “Catalyst microstructure examination of PEMFC membrane electrode assemblies versus time,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. A48–A52, 2004.
- Z. Siroma, K. Ishii, K. Yasuda, Y. Miyazaki, M. Inaba, and A. Tasaka, “Imaging of highly oriented pyrolytic graphite corrosion accelerated by Pt particles,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1153–1156, 2005.
- L. Li and Y. Xing, “Electrochemical durability of carbon nanotubes in noncatalyzed and catalyzed oxidations,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 153, no. 10, pp. A1823–A1828, 2006.
- Y. Y. Shao, G. P. Yin, Y. Z. Gao, and P. F. Shi, “Durability study of PtC and PtCNTs catalysts under simulated PEM fuel cell conditions,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. A1093–A1097, 2006.
- H. Binder, A. Köhling, K. Richter, and G. Sandstede, “Über die anodische oxydation von aktivkohlen in wässrigen elektrolyten,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 255–274, 1964.
- K. Kinoshita, Carbon Electrochemical and Physicochemical Properties, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- Y. Y. Shao, G. P. Yin, J. Zhang, and Y. Z. Gao, “Comparative investigation of the resistance to electrochemical oxidation of carbon black and carbon nanotubes in aqueous sulfuric acid solution,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 26, pp. 5853–5857, 2006.
- R. Kou, Y. Shao, D. Wang et al., “Enhanced activity and stability of Pt catalysts on functionalized graphene sheets for electrocatalytic oxygen reduction,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 954–957, 2009.
- J. Lee, J. Kim, and T. Hyeon, “Recent progress in the synthesis of porous carbon materials,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 16, pp. 2073–2094, 2006.
- R. Andrews, D. Jacques, D. Qian, and T. Rantell, “Multiwall carbon nanotubes: synthesis and application,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1008–1017, 2002.
- H. J. Dai, “Carbon nanotubes: synthesis, integration, and properties,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1035–1044, 2002.
- A. M. Kannan and L. Munukutla, “Carbon nano-chain and carbon nano-fibers based gas diffusion layers for proton exchange membrane fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 330–335, 2007.
- A. L. Dicks, “The role of carbon in fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 128–141, 2006.
- P. Serp, M. Corrias, and P. Kalck, “Carbon nanotubes and nanofibers in catalysis,” Applied Catalysis A, vol. 235, no. 2, pp. 337–358, 2003.
- K. Lee, J. J. Zhang, H. J. Wang, and D. P. Wilkinson, “Progress in the synthesis of carbon nanotube- and nanofiber-supported Pt electrocatalysts for PEM fuel cell catalysis,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 507–522, 2006.
- C. A. Bessel, K. Laubernds, N. M. Rodriguez, and R. T. K. Baker, “Graphite nanofibers as an electrode for fuel cell applications,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 1115–1118, 2001.
- X. Wang, W. Li, Z. Chen, M. Waje, and Y. S. Yan, “Durability investigation of carbon nanotube as catalyst support for proton exchange membrane fuel cell,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 154–159, 2006.
- J. Wang, G. Yin, Y. Shao, S. Zhang, Z. Wang, and Y. Gao, “Effect of carbon black support corrosion on the durability of Pt/C catalyst,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 331–339, 2007.
- J. Wang, G. Yin, Y. Shao, Z. Wang, and Y. Gao, “Investigation of further improvement of platinum catalyst durability with highly graphitized carbon nanotubes support,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 15, pp. 5784–5789, 2008.
- A. Kongkanand, S. Kuwabata, G. Girishkumar, and P. Kamat, “Single-wall carbon nanotubes supported platinum nanoparticles with improved electrocatalytic activity for oxygen reduction reaction,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 2392–2396, 2006.
- H. R. Colón-Mercado and B. N. Popov, “Stability of platinum based alloy cathode catalysts in PEM fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 253–263, 2006.
- P. Yu, M. Pemberton, and P. Plasse, “PtCo/C cathode catalyst for improved durability in PEMFCs,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2005.
- J. Perez, E. R. Gonzalez, and E. A. Ticianelli, “Oxygen electrocatalysis on thin porous coating rotating platinum electrodes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 44, no. 8-9, pp. 1329–1339, 1998.
- Y. Xing, L. Li, C. C. Chusuei, and R. V. Hull, “Sonochemical oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 4185–4190, 2005.
- A. N. Golikand, E. Lohrasbi, M. G. Maragheh, and M. Asgari, “Effect of carbon surface oxidation on platinum supported carbon particles on the performance of gas diffusion electrodes for the oxygen reduction reaction,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 869–874, 2008.
- M. Ciureanu and H. Wang, “Electrochemical impedance study of electrode-membrane assemblies in PEM fuel cells. I. Electro-oxidation of H2 and H2/CO mixtures on Pt-based gas-diffusion electrodes,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 146, no. 11, pp. 4031–4040, 1999.
- P. J. Ferreira, G. J. La O', Y. Shao-Horn et al., “Instability of Pt/C electrocatalysts in proton exchange membrane fuel cells: a mechanistic investigation,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 152, no. 11, pp. A2256–A2271, 2005.
- R. M. Darling and J. P. Meyers, “Kinetic model of platinum dissolution in PEMFCs,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 150, no. 11, pp. A1523–A1527, 2003.
- H. I. Elim, W. Jia, G. H. Ma, C. H. Sow, and C. H. A. Huan, “Ultrafast absorptive and refractive nonlinearities in multiwalled carbon nanotube films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 10, article 1799, 3 pages, 2004.
- J. S. Lauret, C. Voisin, G. Cassabois et al., “Ultrafast carrier dynamics in single-wall carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 5, Article ID 057404, 4 pages, 2003.
- K. H. Kangasniemi, D. A. Condit, and T. D. Jarvi, “Characterization of vulcan electrochemically oxidized under simulated PEM fuel cell conditions,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. E125–E132, 2004.
- J. S. Ye, X. Liu, H. F. Cui, W. D. Zhang, F. S. Sheu, and T. M. Lim, “Electrochemical oxidation of multi-walled carbon nanotubes and its application to electrochemical double layer capacitors,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 249–255, 2005.
- R. Makharia, S. Kocha, P. Yu, M. Sweikart, W. Gu, and F. Wagner, “Durable PEM fuel cell electrode materials: requirements and benchmarking methodologies,” ECS Transactions, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 3–18, 2006.
- R. Borup, J. Davey, D. Wood, F. Garzon, and M. Inbody, doehydrogen program fy, Progress report VII.I. 3, p.1039, 2005.
- R. L. Borup, J. R. Davey, F. H. Garzon, D. L. Wood, and M. A. Inbody, “PEM fuel cell electrocatalyst durability measurements,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2006.