- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 947323, 11 pages
Sterculic Oil, a Natural SCD1 Inhibitor, Improves Glucose Tolerance in Obese ob/ob Mice
1Department of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
2Department of Food Science, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
3Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
4Department of Internal Medicine-Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
5Division of Research Service, Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans Medical Center, Columbia, MO 65201, USA
6Department of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Received 16 September 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editors: E. Al-Dujaili, B. Larijani, E. Spinedi, and J.-F. Tanti
Copyright © 2012 Laura C. Ortinau et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Vital signs: state-specific obesity prevalence among adults—United States, 2009,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 30, pp. 951–955, 2010.
- K. Azuma, L. K. Heilbronn, J. B. Albu, S. R. Smith, E. Ravussin, and D. E. Kelley, “Adipose tissue distribution in relation to insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. E435–E442, 2007.
- G. A. Bray, K. A. Jablonski, W. Y. Fujimoto et al., “Relation of central adiposity and body mass index to the development of diabetes in the Diabetes Prevention Program,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1212–1218, 2008.
- R. E. C. Wildman, “Nutraceuticals: a brief review of historical and teleological aspects,” in Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, R. E. C. Wildman, Ed., pp. 2–12, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2000.
- C. P. F. Marinangeli and P. J. H. Jones, “Functional food ingredients as adjunctive therapies to pharmacotherapy for treating disorders of metabolic syndrome,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 317–333, 2010.
- J. Gahche, R. Bailey, V. Burt et al., “Dietary supplement use among U.S. adults has increased since NHANES III (1988–1994),” NCHS Data Brief, no. 61, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- P. S. Odegard, M. M. Janci, M. P. Foeppel, J. R. Beach, and D. L. Trence, “Prevalence and correlates of dietary supplement use in individuals with diabetes mellitus at an academic diabetes care clinic,” Diabetes Educator, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 419–425, 2011.
- E. Fabian, S. Töscher, I. Elmadfa, and T. R. Pieber, “Use of complementary and alternative medicine supplements in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 2011.
- F. E. Gomez, D. E. Bauman, J. M. Ntambi, and B. G. Fox, “Effects of sterculic acid on stearoyl-CoA desaturase in differentiating 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 300, no. 2, pp. 316–326, 2003.
- C. A. Major, K. Ryan, A. J. Bennett, A. L. Lock, D. E. Bauman, and A. M. Salter, “Inhibition of stearoyl CoA desaturase activity induces hypercholesterolemia in the cholesterol-fed hamster,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1456–1465, 2008.
- M. K. Pasha and F. Ahmad, “Analysis of triacylglycerols containing cyclopropene fatty acids in Sterculia foetida (Linn.) seed lipids,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 626–629, 1992.
- S. Aued-Pimentel, J. H. G. Lago, M. H. Chaves, and E. E. Kumagai, “Evaluation of a methylation procedure to determine cyclopropenoids fatty acids from Sterculia striata St. Hil. Et Nauds seed oil,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1054, no. 1-2, pp. 235–239, 2004.
- P. A. Carpino and B. Goodwin, “Diabetes area participation analysis: a review of companies and targets described in the 2008–2010 patent literature,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1627–1651, 2010.
- A. Dobrzyn and J. M. Ntambi, “Stearoyl-CoA desaturase as a new drug target for obesity treatment,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 2005.
- E. Warensjö, M. Öhrvall, and B. Vessby, “Fatty acid composition and estimated desaturase activities are associated with obesity and lifestyle variables in men and women,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 128–136, 2006.
- A. D. Attie, R. M. Krauss, M. P. Gray-Keller et al., “Relationship between stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and plasma triglycerides in human and mouse hypertriglyceridemia,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1899–1907, 2002.
- X. Liu, M. Miyazaki, and M. T. Flowers, “Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 attenuates adipocyte inflamation, effects of adipocyte-derived oleate,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 30, pp. 31–38, 2010.
- M. Miyazaki, H. Sampath, X. Liu et al., “Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 deficiency attenuates obesity and insulin resistance in leptin-resistant obese mice,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 380, no. 4, pp. 818–822, 2009.
- A. L. Lock, B. A. Corl, D. M. Barbano, D. E. Bauman, and C. Ip, “The anticarcinogenic effect of trans-11 18:1 is dependent on its conversion to cis-9, trans-11 CLA by Δ9-desaturase in rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 10, pp. 2698–2704, 2004.
- B. A. Corl, L. H. Baumgard, J. M. Griinari et al., “Trans-7,cis-9 CLA is synthesized endogenously by δ9-desaturase in dairy cows,” Lipids, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 681–688, 2002.
- D. G. Scarpelli, “Mitogenic activity of sterculic acid, a cyclopropenoid fatty acid,” Science, vol. 185, no. 4155, pp. 958–960, 1974.
- J. E. Nixon, J. K. Yoss, and T. A. Eisele, “Metabolism and tissue distribution of label from [9,10 methylene 14C] sterculic acid in the rat,” Lipids, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 629–634, 1977.
- E. C. Coleman and L. Friedman, “Fatty acids in tissue lipids of rats fed Sterculia foetida oil,” Journal of Agricultural And Food Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 224–228, 1971.
- J. N. Roehm, D. J. Lee, J. H. Wales, S. D. Polityka, and R. O. Sinnhuber, “The effect of dietary sterculic acid on the hepatic lipids of rainbow trout,” Lipids, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 80–84, 1970.
- T. A. Eisele, J. K. Yoss, and J. E. Nixon, “Rat urinary metabolites of [9,10 methylene 14C]sterculic acid,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 488, no. 1, pp. 76–87, 1977.
- W. W. Christie, “A simple procedure for rapid transmethylation of glycerolipids and cholesteryl esters,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1072–1075, 1982.
- D. M. Schwartz and N. E. Wolins, “A simple and rapid method to assay triacylglycerol in cells and tissues,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2514–2520, 2007.
- R. S. Rector, J. P. Thyfault, R. T. Morris et al., “Daily exercise increases hepatic fatty acid oxidation and prevents steatosis in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 3, pp. G619–G626, 2008.
- M. W. Hulver, J. R. Berggren, M. J. Carper et al., “Elevated stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 expression in skeletal muscle contributes to abnormal fatty acid partitioning in obese humans,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 251–261, 2005.
- P. Dobrzyn, A. Dobrzyn, M. Miyazaki, and J. M. Ntambi, “Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 rescues cardiac function in obese leptin-deficient mice,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 2202–2210, 2010.
- J. M. Ntambi, M. Miyazaki, J. P. Stoehr et al., “Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 function protects mice against adiposity,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 17, pp. 11482–11486, 2002.
- G. Jiang, Z. Li, F. Liu et al., “Prevention of obesity in mice by antisense oligonucleotide inhibitors of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 1030–1038, 2005.
- M. Miyazaki, M. T. Flowers, H. Sampath et al., “Hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 deficiency protects mice from carbohydrate-induced adiposity and hepatic steatosis,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 484–496, 2007.
- M. T. Flowers, A. K. Groen, A. T. Oler et al., “Cholestasis and hypercholesterolemia in SCD1-deficient mice fed a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2668–2680, 2006.
- K. Chu, M. Miyazaki, W. C. Man, and J. M. Ntambi, “Stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 1 deficiency protects against hypertriglyceridemia and increases plasma high-density lipoprotein cholesterol induced by liver X receptor activation,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 6786–6798, 2006.
- S. E. Shoelson, J. Lee, and A. B. Goldfine, “Inflammation and insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 7, pp. 1793–1801, 2006.
- R. Gutiérrez-Juárez, A. Pocai, C. Mulas et al., “Critical role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase—1 (SCD1) in the onset of diet-induced hepatic insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1686–1695, 2006.
- C. K. Hyun, E. D. Kim, M. T. Flowers et al., “Adipose-specific deletion of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 up-regulates the glucose transporter GLUT1 in adipose tissue,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 399, no. 4, pp. 480–486, 2010.
- P. Dobrzyn, A. Dobrzyn, M. Miyazaki et al., “Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 deficiency increases fatty acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase in liver,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 17, pp. 6409–6414, 2004.
- M. Miyazaki, A. Dobrzyn, H. Sampath et al., “Reduced adiposity and liver steatosis by stearoyl-CoA desaturase deficiency are independent of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 33, pp. 35017–35024, 2004.
- M. Issandou, A. Bouillot, J. M. Brusq et al., “Pharmacological inhibition of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 improves insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant rat models,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 618, no. 1-3, pp. 28–36, 2009.
- J. B. Flowers, M. E. Rabaglia, K. L. Schueler et al., “Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 improves insulin sensitivity in lean mice but worsens diabetes in leptin-deficient obese mice,” Diabetes, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1228–1239, 2007.
- S. B. Biddinger, M. Miyazaki, J. Boucher, J. M. Ntambi, and C. R. Kahn, “Leptin suppresses stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 by mechanisms independent of insulin and sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 2032–2041, 2006.
- A. A. Wendel, L. O. Li, Y. Li, G. W. Cline, G. I. Shulman, and R. A. Coleman, “Glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase 1 deficiency in ob/ob mice diminishes hepatic steatosis but does not protect against insulin resistance or obesity,” Diabetes, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1321–1329, 2010.
- N. Yahagi, H. Shimano, A. H. Hasty et al., “Absence of sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1 (SREBP-1) ameliorates fatty livers but not obesity or insulin resistance in Lepob/Lepob mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 22, pp. 19353–19357, 2002.
- N. Kumashiro, D. M. Erion, D. Zhang et al., “Cellular mechanism of insulin resistance in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 39, pp. 16381–16385, 2011.
- V. T. Samuel, Z. X. Liu, X. Qu et al., “Mechanism of hepatic insulin resistance in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 31, pp. 32345–32353, 2004.
- A. Dresner, D. Laurent, M. Marcucci et al., “Effects of free fatty acids on glucose transport and IRS-1-associated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activity,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 253–259, 1999.
- T. K. T. Lam, G. Van de Werve, and A. Giacca, “Free fatty acids increase basal hepatic glucose production and induce hepatic insulin resistance at different sites,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 284, no. 2, pp. E281–E290, 2003.
- M. T. A. Nguyen, S. Favelyukis, A. K. Nguyen et al., “A subpopulation of macrophages infiltrates hypertrophic adipose tissue and is activated by free fatty acids via toll-like receptors 2 and 4 and JNK-dependent pathways,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 48, pp. 35279–35292, 2007.
- H. Shi, M. V. Kokoeva, K. Inouye, I. Tzameli, H. Yin, and J. S. Flier, “TLR4 links innate immunity and fatty acid-induced insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 3015–3025, 2006.
- J. J. Senn, P. J. Klover, I. A. Nowak, and R. A. Mooney, “Interleukin-6 induces cellular insulin resistance in hepatocytes,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3391–3399, 2002.
- V. Rotter, I. Nagaev, and U. Smith, “Interleukin-6 (IL-6) induces insulin resistance in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and is, like IL-8 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha, overexpressed in human fat cells from insulin-resistant subjects,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 46, pp. 45777–45784, 2003.
- C. Lagathu, J. P. Bastard, M. Auclair, M. Maachi, J. Capeau, and M. Caron, “Chronic interleukin-6 (IL-6) treatment increased IL-6 secretion and induced insulin resistance in adipocyte: prevention by rosiglitazone,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 311, no. 2, pp. 372–379, 2003.
- A. L. Carey, G. R. Steinberg, S. L. Macaulay et al., “Interleukin-6 increases insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in humans and glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation in vitro via AMP-activated protein kinase,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 2688–2697, 2006.
- A. G. Holmes, J. L. Mesa, B. A. Neill et al., “Prolonged interleukin-6 administration enhances glucose tolerance and increases skeletal muscle PPARα and UCP2 expression in rats,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 367–374, 2008.
- H. Ellingsgaard, I. Hauselmann, B. Schuler et al., “Interleukin-6 enhances insulin secretion by increasing glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion from L cells and alpha cells,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1481–1489, 2011.
- S. M. Rahman, A. Dobrzyn, P. Dobrzyn, S. H. Lee, M. Miyazaki, and J. M. Ntambi, “Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 deficiency elevates insulin-signaling components and down-regulates protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1B in muscle,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. 11110–11115, 2003.
- P. K. Raju and R. Reiser, “Inhibition of fatty acyl desaturase by cyclopropene fatty acids,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 242, no. 3, pp. 379–384, 1967.
- S. Reagan-Shaw, M. Nihal, and N. Ahmad, “Dose translation from animal to human studies revisited,” FASEB Journal, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 659–661, 2008.