- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 902325, 10 pages
Determinants of Household Decision to Join Community Forest Associations: A Case Study of Kenya
1Kenya Forestry Research Institute, P.O. Box 20412-00200, Nairobi, Kenya
2Department of Agricultural Resource Management, Kenyatta University, P.O. Box 43844-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
3School of Social Sciences, Mount Kenya University, P.O. Box 342-01000, Thika, Kenya
Received 11 September 2012; Accepted 3 October 2012
Academic Editors: P. Newton and P. Smethurst
Copyright © 2013 Josephine Kamene Musyoki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Geller, R. McConnell, and J. Wanyiri, “Linking national forest programmes and poverty reduction strategies, Kenya,” Food and Agriculture Organization, Forestry Department, Forestry Policy and Institutions Service, 2007, http://www.fao.org/forestry.
- A. Ruotsalainen, “Kenya forest master plan. Recognition of local forest users,” in Seminar Reports and Journal of a Field Excursion to Kenya, P. Pellikka, J. Ylhaisi, and B. Clark, Eds., vol. 40, pp. 21–25, Expedition Reports of the Department of Geography, University of Helsinki, 2004.
- Department of Resource Surveys and Remote Sensing and Kenya Forests Working Group, Changes in Forest Cover in Kenya's Five Water Towers, 2003–2005, DRSRS and KWFG, 2006.
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, “Sessional Paper no. 1 of 2007 on Forest Policy,” Tech. Rep., Government Printer, Nairobi. Kenya, 2007.
- H. Purnomo, G. A. Mendoza, and R. Prabhu, “Analysis of local perspectives on sustainable forest management: an Indonesian case study,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 111–126, 2005.
- K. Schreckenberg, C. Luttrell, and C. Moss, Participatory Forest Management: An Overview, Forest Policy and Environment Programme, Grey Literature, UK, 2006.
- J. V. Ludeki, G. M. Wamukoya, and D. Walubengo, Environmental Management in Kenya: A Framework for Sustainable Forest Management in Kenya, Understanding the Draft Forest Policy and Forests Act 2005, 2006.
- T. Thenya, B. Wandago, and E. T. Nahama, “Participatory forest management experience in Kenya (1996–2006),” in Proceedings of the 1st National Participatory Forest Management Conference, KEFRI Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya, 2007.
- P. O. Ongugo, M. T. E. Mbuvi, E. Obonyo et al., “Emerging roles of Community Forest Associations in Kenya: the cases of Arabuko-Sokoke Forest adjacent Dwellers Associations (ASFADA) and Meru Forest Environmental and Protection Community Association (MEFECAP),” in Proceedings of International conference on Poverty Reduction and Forests, Bangkok, Thailand, September 2007.
- P. O. Ongugo, J. N. Mogoi, E. Obonyo, and V. O. Oeba, “Examining the roles of Community Forest Associations in the decentralization process of Kenyan forest,” in Proceedings of the International Association for the Study of Commons Conference, July 2008.
- F. Dolisca, D. R. Carter, J. M. McDaniel, D. A. Shannon, and C. M. Jolly, “Factors influencing farmers' participation in forestry management programs: a case study from Haiti,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 236, no. 2-3, pp. 324–331, 2006.
- Ngare Ndare Forest Trust, Ngare Ndare Forest Management Plan, 2008–2013, Kenya forest Service and Kenya forest Working Group, Nairobi, Kenya, 2008.
- O. M. Mugenda and A. G. Mugenda, Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches, African Centre for Technology Studies, Nairobi, Kenya, 1999.
- L. R. Gay, Education Research: Competencies for Analysis and Application, Charles E. Mairill, A. Bell and Howell, London, UK, 1981.
- F. K. Lelo, J. O. Ayieko, R. N. Muhia et al., Egerton PRA Field Guide Book for Participatory Rural Appraisa Practitioners, PRA programme, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya, 2000.
- R. L. Ott, An Introduction to Statistical Methods and Data Analysis, Wadsworth Publishing, Calif, USA, 4th edition, 1993.
- P. Coulibaly-Lingani, P. Savadogo, M. Tigabu, and P. C. Oden, “Factors influencing people's participation in the forest management program in Burkina Faso, West Africa,” Forest Policy and Economics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 292–302, 2011.
- R. K. Nuggehalli and L. S. Prokopy, “Motivating factors and facilitating conditions explaining women's participation in co-management of Sri Lankan forests,” Forest Policy and Economics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 288–293, 2009.
- K. B. Chhetri, Community forestry program in the hills of Nepal: determinants of user participation and household dependency [M.S. thesis], Management of Natural Resources and Sustainable Agriculture, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, 2005.
- P. Coulibaly-Lingani, M. Tigabu, P. Savadogo, P. C. Oden, and J. M. Ouadba, “Determinants of access to forest products in southern Burkina Faso,” Forest Policy and Economics, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 516–524, 2009.
- T. Thacher, D. R. Lee, and J. W. Schelhas, “Farmer participation in reforestation incentive programs in Costa Rica,” Agroforestry Systems, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 269–289, 1996.
- D. Zhang and W. A. Flick, “Sticks, carrots, and reforestations investment,” Land Economics, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 453–456, 2001.
- B. Adhikari, S. Di Falco, and J. C. Lovett, “Household characteristics and forest dependency: evidence from common property forest management in Nepal,” Ecological Economics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 245–257, 2004.
- J. Obua, A. Y. Banana, and N. Turyahabwe, “Attitudes of local communities towards forest management practices in Uganda: the case of Budongo forest reserve,” Commonwealth Forestry Review, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 1998.
- D. Zhang and P. H. Pearse, “Differences in silvicultural investment under various types of forest tenure in British Columbia,” Forest Science, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 442–449, 1996.
- Z. Temesgen, B. Irwin, G. Jordan, and J. McKee, “Forest, use them or lose them, an argument for promoting forest-based livelihoods rather than alternative Non forest Based Livelihoods with PFM programme,” in Proceedings of the International of Conference Participatory Forest Management (PFM), Biodiversity in Africa, E. Kelbessa and C. De Stoop, Eds., Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, March 2007.
- J. Pretty and D. Smith, “Social capital in biodiversity conservation and management,” Conservation Biology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 631–638, 2004.
- R. D. Putman, “The prosperous community: social capital and public life,” American Prospect, vol. 13, pp. 35–42, 1993.
- J. T. Heinen, “Human behavior, incentives, protected area management,” Conservation Biology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 681–684, 1996.
- M. A. Salam, T. Noguchi, and M. Koike, “Factors influencing the sustained participation of farmers in participatory forestry: a case study in central Sal forests in Bangladesh,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 43–51, 2005.
- T. Degeti and Y. Yemshaw, Factors affecting people's participation in participatory porest management: the case of IFMP Adaba-Dodola in Bale Zone of Oromia region [Master of Arts thesis], Arts in Regional and Local Development Studies (RLDS), School of Graduate Studies of Addis Ababa University, 2003.