- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920370, 11 pages
Factors Influencing Liana Species Richness and Structure following Anthropogenic Disturbance in a Tropical Forest, Ghana
Department of Theoretical and Applied Biology, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
Received 13 November 2012; Accepted 29 November 2012
Academic Editors: D. Huber, Z. Kaya, T. L. Noland, and B. Schirone
Copyright © 2013 Patrick Addo-Fordjour et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Gerwing, “Life history diversity among six species of canopy lianas in an old-growth forest of the eastern Brazilian Amazon,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 190, no. 1, pp. 57–72, 2004.
- J. Homeier, F. Englert, C. Leuschner, P. Weigelt, and M. Unger, “Factors controlling the abundance of lianas along an altitudinal transect of tropical forests in Ecuador,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 259, no. 8, pp. 1399–1405, 2010.
- S. A. Schnitzer and F. Bongers, “The ecology of lianas and their role in forests,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 223–230, 2002.
- S. A. Schnitzer, M. P. E. Parren, and F. Bongers, “Recruitment of lianas into logging gaps and the effects of pre-harvest climber cutting in a lowland forest in Cameroon,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 190, no. 1, pp. 87–98, 2004.
- D. R. Pérez-Salicrup, “Effect of liana cutting on tree regeneration in a liana forest in Amazonian Bolivia,” Ecology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 389–396, 2001.
- D. R. Pérez-Salicrup and M. G. Barker, “Effect of liana cutting on water potential and growth of adult Senna multijuga (Caesalpinioideae) trees in a Bolivian tropical forest,” Oecologia, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 469–475, 2000.
- S. A. Schnitzer, J. W. Dalling, and W. P. Carson, “The impact of lianas on tree regeneration in tropical forest canopy gaps: evidence for an alternative pathway of gap-phase regeneration,” Journal of Ecology, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 655–666, 2000.
- Z. Q. Cai, S. A. Schnitzer, and F. Bongers, “Seasonal differences in leaf-level physiology give lianas a competitive advantage over trees in a tropical seasonal forest,” Oecologia, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2009.
- J. R. Foster, P. A. Townsend, and C. E. Zganjar, “Spatial and temporal patterns of gap dominance by low-canopy lianas detected using EO-1 Hyperion and Landsat Thematic Mapper,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 2104–2117, 2008.
- L. L. Ingwell, S. Joseph Wright, K. K. Becklund, S. P. Hubbell, and S. A. Schnitzer, “The impact of lianas on 10 years of tree growth and mortality on Barro Colorado Island, Panama,” Journal of Ecology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 879–887, 2010.
- S. E. Rutishauser, Increasing liana abundance and biomass in tropical forests: testing mechanistic explanations [M.S. thesis], University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis, USA, 2011.
- M. D. Swaine and J. Grace, “Lianas may be favoured by low rainfall: evidence from Ghana,” Plant Ecology, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 271–276, 2007.
- S. D. Zhu and K. F. Cao, “Hydraulic properties and photosynthetic rates in co-occurring lianas and trees in a seasonal tropical rainforest in Southwestern China,” Plant Ecology, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 295–304, 2009.
- G. Zotz, N. Cueni, and C. Körner, “In situ growth stimulation of a temperate zone liana (Hedera helix) in elevated CO2,” Functional Ecology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 763–769, 2006.
- P. Addo-Fordjour, A. K. Anning, J. A. Larbi, and S. Akyeampong, “Liana species richness, abundance and relationship with trees in the Bobiri forest reserve, Ghana: impact of management systems,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 257, no. 8, pp. 1822–1828, 2009.
- P. Addo-Fordjour, S. Obeng, M. G. Addo, and S. Akyeampong, “Effects of human disturbances and plant invasion on liana community structure and relationship with trees in the Tinte Bepo forest reserve, Ghana,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 258, no. 5, pp. 728–734, 2009.
- P. Addo-Fordjour, Z. B. Rahmad, and A. M. S. Shahrul, “Effects of human disturbance on liana community diversity and structure in a tropical rainforest, Malaysia: implication for conservation,” Journal of Plant Ecology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 391–399, 2012.
- S. A. Schnitzer, “A mechanistic explanation for global patterns of liana abundance and distribution,” American Naturalist, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 262–276, 2005.
- F. Bongers, L. Poorter, W. D. Hawthorne, and D. Sheil, “The intermediate disturbance hypothesis applies to tropical forests, but disturbance contributes little to tree diversity,” Ecology Letters, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 798–805, 2009.
- W. D. Hawthorne, Ecological Profiles of Ghanaian Forest Trees, Tropical Forestry Paper 29, Oxford Forestry Institute, Oxford, UK, 1995.
- W. D. Hawthorne, “Holes and the sums of parts in Ghanaian forest: regeneration, scale and sustainable use,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Section B, vol. 104, pp. 75–176, 1996.
- W. D. Hawthorne and M. Abu Juam, Forest Protection in Ghana (with Particular Reference to Vegetation and Plant Species), IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, 1995.
- M. Arbonnier, Trees, Shrubs and Lianas of West African Dry Zones, CIRAD, MARGRAF Publishers, 2004.
- W. D. Hawthorne and C. Jongkind, Woody Plants of Western African Forests: A Guide to the Forest Trees, Shrubs and lianes From Senegal to Ghana, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK, 2006.
- W. D. Hawthorne, Field Guide to the Forest Trees of Ghana, Ghana Forestry Series 1, Natural Resources Institute, for the Overseas Development Aministration, London, UK, 1990.
- L. Poorter, F. Bongers, F. N. Kouamé, and W. D. Hawthorne, Eds., Biodiversity of West African Forests: An Ecological Atlas of Woody plant Species, CABI, 2004.
- Soil Survey Staff, “Soil survey laboratory methods manual,” Soil Survey Investigations. Report no. 42, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- D. R. Pérez-Salicrup, V. L. Sork, and F. E. Putz, “Lianas and trees in a liana forest of amazonian Bolivia,” Biotropica, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 34–47, 2001.
- X. T. Lü, J. W. Tang, Z. L. Feng, and M. H. Li, “Diversity and aboveground biomass of lianas in the tropical seasonal rain forests of Xishuangbanna, SW China,” Revista de Biologia Tropical, vol. 57, no. 1-2, pp. 211–222, 2009.
- J. R. Makana, T. B. Hart, and J. A. Hart, “Forest structure and diversity of lianas and understorey treelets in monodominant and mixed stands in the Ituri forest, Democratic republic of the Congo,” in Forest Biodiversity Research, Monitoring and Modeling. Conceptual Background and Old World Case Studies, F. Dallmeier and J. A. Comiskey, Eds., pp. 429–446, Parthenon, Paris, France, 1998.
- M. P. E. Parren and F. Bongers, “Abundance and distribution of lianas in a highly disturbed forest tropical rain forest in southern Cameroon,” in Lianas and Logging in West Africa, M. P. E. Parren, Ed., Tropenbos-Cameroon Series 6, pp. 67–80, Tropenbos International, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 2003.
- F. Senbeta, C. Schmitt, M. Denich et al., “The diversity and distribution of lianas in the Afromontane rain forests of Ethiopia,” Diversity and Distributions, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 443–452, 2005.
- F. Bongers, M. P. E. Parren, and M. D. Swaine D, “Forest climbing plants of West Africa: introduction,” in Forest Climbing Plants of West Africa: Diversity, Ecology and Management, F. Bongers, M. P. E. Parren, and D. Traoré, Eds., pp. 5–18, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 2005.
- G. Ibarra-Manríquez and M. Martínez-Ramos, “Landscape variation of liana communities in a Neotropical rain forest,” Plant Ecology, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 91–112, 2002.
- K. Kokou, P. Couteron, A. Martin, and G. Caballe, “Taxonomic diversity of lianas and vines in forest fragments of southern Togo,” Revue d'Ecologie, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 3–18, 2002.
- M. E. Kuzee and F. Bongers, “Climber abundance, diversity and colonization in degraded forests of different ages in Côte d’voire,” in Forest Climbing Plants of West Africa: Diversity, Ecology and Management, F. Bongers, M. P. E. Parren, and D. Traoré, Eds., pp. 73–91, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 2005.
- J. J. Gerwing and D. L. Farias, “Integrating liana abundance and forest stature into an estimate of total aboveground biomass for an eastern Amazonian forest,” Journal of Tropical Ecology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 327–335, 2000.
- W. F. Laurance, D. Pérez-Salicrup, P. Delamônica et al., “Rain forest fragmentation and the structure of Amazonian liana communities,” Ecology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 105–116, 2001.
- P. W. Richards, in The Tropical Rain Forest an Ecological Study, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1996.
- C. M. Yuan, W. Y. Liu, C. Q. Tang, and X. S. Li, “Species composition, diversity, and abundance of lianas in different secondary and primary forests in a subtropical mountainous area, SW China,” Ecological Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1361–1370, 2009.
- S. J. DeWalt and J. Chave, “Structure and biomass of four lowland neotropical forests,” Biotropica, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 7–19, 2004.
- K. Lertpanich and W. Y. Brockelman, “Lianas and environmental factors in the Mo Singto biodiversity research plot, Khao Yai National Park, Thailand,” The Natural History Journal of Chulalongkorn University, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 7–17, 2003.
- O. L. Phillips, R. V. Martínez, A. M. Mendoza, T. R. Baker, and P. N. Vargas, “Large lianas as hyperdynamic elements of the tropical forest canopy,” Ecology, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1250–1258, 2005.
- P. Addo-Fordjour and Z. B. Rahmad, “Shahrul. Environmental factors influencing liana community diversity, structure and habitat associations in a tropical hill forest, Malaysia,” Plant Ecology and Diversity. In review.
- M. J. Macía, K. Ruokolainen, H. Tuomisto, J. Quisbert, and V. Cala, “Congruence between floristic patterns of trees and lianas in a southwest Amazonian rain forest,” Ecography, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 561–577, 2007.
- F. Bagamba, R. Ruben, and M. Rufino, “Determinants of banana productivity and technical efficiency in Uganda,” Research Report of the International Food Policy Research Institute, no. 155, pp. 109–128, 2007.
- T. V. Karpinets and D. J. Greenwood, “Potassium dynamics,” in Handbook of Processes and Modeling in the Soil-Plant System, D. K. Benbi and R. Nieder, Eds., Haworth Press, New York, NY, USA, 2003.