- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 362805, 7 pages
Gastric Ulceration in Diabetes Mellitus: Protective Role of Vitamin C
1Department of Physiology, College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, PMB 1115, Nigeria
2Department of Basic Medical Sciences, The University of West Indies, Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica
Received 13 March 2012; Accepted 18 April 2012
Academic Editors: A. Nakao and C. Sperti
Copyright © 2012 Daniel U. Owu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Hink, H. Li, H. Mollnau et al., “Mechanisms underlying endothelial dysfunction in diabetes mellitus,” Circulation Research, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. E14–E22, 2001.
- D. Jay, H. Hitomi, and K. K. Griendling, “Oxidative stress and diabetic cardiovascular complications,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 2006.
- H. A. R. Hadi and J. A. Al Suwaidi, “Endothelial dysfunction in diabetes mellitus,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 853–876, 2007.
- P. Bytzer, N. J. Talley, J. Hammer, L. J. Young, M. P. Jones, and M. Horowitz, “GI symptoms in diabetes mellitus are associated with both poor glycemic control and diabetic complications,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 604–611, 2002.
- K. Takehara, K. Tashima, and K. Takeuchi, “Alterations in duodenal bicarbonate secretion and mucosal susceptibility to acid in diabetic rats,” Gastroenterology, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 418–428, 1997.
- H. Süleyman, F. Akçay, and K. Altinkaynak, “The effect of nimesulide on the indomethacin- and ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in rats,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 155–158, 2002.
- I. Brzozowska, A. Targosz, Z. Sliwowski et al., “Healing of chronic gastric ulcers in diabetic rats treated with native aspirin, nitric oxide (NO)-derivative of aspirin and cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitor,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 773–790, 2004.
- C. Y. Lin, G. H. Yeh, F. C. Hsu et al., “Gastric acid secretion in streptozotocin-diabetic female rats,” Chinese Journal of Physiology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 1991.
- R. Baydoun and J. C. Dunbar, “Impaired insulin but normal pentagastrin effect on gastric acid secretion in diabetic rats: a role for nitric oxide,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1997.
- J. H. Kim, H. S. Park, S. Y. Ko et al., “Diabetic factors associated with gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with type 2 diabetes,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1782–1787, 2010.
- M. B. Saltzman and R. W. McCallum, “Diabetes and the stomach,” Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 179–187, 1983.
- M. Buysschaert, J. Donckier, A. Dive, J. M. Ketelslegers, and A. E. Lambert, “Gastric acid and pancreatic polypeptide responses to sham feeding are impaired in diabetic subjects with autonomic neuropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1181–1185, 1985.
- A. T. Ozçelikay, V. M. Altan, N. Yildizoğlu-Ari, O. Altinkurt, F. Onur, and Y. Oztürk, “Basal and histamine-induced gastric acid secretion in alloxan diabetic rats,” General Pharmacology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 121–126, 1993.
- G. A. Burghen, L. R. Murrell, G. L. Whitington, M. K. Klyce, and S. Burstein, “Acid peptic disease in children with type I diabetes mellitus: a complicating relationship,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 718–722, 1992.
- F. Y. Chang, T. S. Chen, S. D. Lee, M. L. Doong, G. H. Yeh, and P. S. Wang, “Pentagastrin-induced gastric acid secretion in the diabetic rats: role of insulin,” Chinese Journal of Physiology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 175–181, 2004.
- I. L. Fedorchenko, “Status of intragastric acidity in diabetes mellitus patients with chronic gastroduodenal ulcers,” Eksperimental naia i Klinicheskaia Gastroenterologia, vol. 26–31, pp. 111–112, 2002.
- N. F. Rafsanjani and J. Vahedian, “The effect of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus on basal and distention-induced acid and pepsin secretion in rat,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2004.
- A. A. Fouad, A. I. Al-Sultan, M. T. Yacoubi, and W. Gomaa, “Ameliorative effects of telmisartan in diabetic rats with indomethacin-induced gastric ulceration,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 637, no. 1–3, pp. 162–170, 2010.
- M. Pietzsch, S. Theuer, G. Haase, F. Plath, M. Keyser, and A. K. Riethling, “Results of systematic screening for serious gastrointestinal bleeding associated with NSAIDs in Rostock hospitals,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 111–115, 2002.
- M. W. J. Boehme, F. Autschbach, C. Ell, and U. Raeth, “Prevalence of silent gastric ulcer, erosions or severe acute gastritis in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus—a cross-sectional study,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 54, no. 74, pp. 643–648, 2007.
- D. V. Ratnam, D. D. Ankola, V. Bhardwaj, D. K. Sahana, and M. N. V. R. Kumar, “Role of antioxidants in prophylaxis and therapy: a pharmaceutical perspective,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 189–207, 2006.
- B. Frei, L. England, and B. N. Ames, “Ascorbate is an outstanding antioxidant in human blood plasma,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 16, pp. 6377–6381, 1989.
- Y. Hirooka, K. Eshima, S. Setoguchi, T. Kishi, K. Egashira, and A. Takeshita, “Vitamin C improves attenuated angiotensin II-induced endothelium-dependent vasodilation in human forearm vessels,” Hypertension Research, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 953–959, 2003.
- M. E. McAlindon, A. F. Muller, B. Filipowicz, and C. J. Hawkey, “Effect of allopurinol, sulphasalazine, and vitamin C on aspirin induced gastroduodenal injury in human volunteers,” Gut, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 518–524, 1996.
- M. Koc, H. Imik, and F. Odabasoglu, “Gastroprotective and anti-oxidative properties of ascorbic acid on indomethacin-induced gastric injuries in rats,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 126, no. 1–3, pp. 222–236, 2008.
- D. U. Owu, A. B. Antai, K. H. Udofia, A. O. Obembe, K. O. Obasi, and M. U. Eteng, “Vitamin C improves basal metabolic rate and lipid profile in alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus in rats,” Journal of Biosciences, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 575–579, 2006.
- M. N. Ghosh and H. O. Schild, “Continuous recording of acid gastric secretion in the rat,” British Journal of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 54–61, 1958.
- E. E. Osim, S. K. Arthur, and K. M. Etta, “Influence of kola nuts (Cola nitida alba) on in vivo secretion of gastric acid in cats,” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 215–220, 1991.
- M. C. Joshi, M. Dorababu, T. Prabha, M. M. Kumar, and R. K. Goel, “Effects of Pterocarpus marsupium on NIDDM-induced rat gastric ulceration and mucosal offensive and defensive factors,” Indian Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 296–302, 2004.
- M. J. Magistretti, M. Conti, and A. Cristoni, “Anti-ulcer activity of an anthocyanidin from Vaccinum myrfillus,” Arzneimittelforschung, vol. 38, pp. 686–690, 1998.
- P. V. Tan, G. E. Enow-Orock, T. Dimo, B. Nyasse, and S. F. Kimbu, “Evaluation of the anti-ulcer and toxicity profile of Aloe buettneri in laboratory animals,” African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 8–20, 2006.
- M. Feldman, D. B. Corbett, and E. J. Ramsey, “Abnormal gastric function in longstanding, insulin-dependent diabetic patients,” Gastroenterology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 1979.
- T. Nakamura, K. Imamura, Y. Abe, et al., “Gastric functions in diabetics: gastrin responses and gastric secretion in insulin-induced hypoglycemia,” Journal of the Japan Diabetes Society, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 1986.
- G. N. Verne and C. A. Sninsky, “Diabetes and the gastrointestinal tract,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 861–874, 1998.
- P. Piyachaturawat, J. Poprasit, T. Glinsukon, and C. Wanichanon, “Gastric mucosal lesions in streptozotocin-diabetic rats,” Cell Biology International Reports, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 53–63, 1988.
- S. M. A. Bastaki, E. Adeghate, I. S. Chandranath et al., “Effects of streptozotocin-induced long-term diabetes on parietal cell function and morphology in rats,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 341, no. 1-2, pp. 43–50, 2010.
- S. J. Davie, B. J. Gould, and J. S. Yudkin, “Effect of vitamin C on glycosylation of proteins,” Diabetes, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 1992.
- J. J. Cunningham, “Altered vitamin C transport in diabetes mellitus,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 263–265, 1988.
- J. R. Koo, Z. Ni, F. Oviesi, and N. D. Vaziri, “Antioxidant therapy potentiates antihypertensive action of insulin in diabetic rats,” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 333–344, 2002.
- Q. Chen, M. G. Espey, A. Y. Sun et al., “Ascorbate in pharmacologic concentrations selectively generates ascorbate radical and hydrogen peroxide in extracellular fluid in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 21, pp. 8749–8754, 2007.
- A. J. Waring, I. M. Drake, C. J. Schorah et al., “Ascorbic acid and total vitamin C concentrations in plasma, gastric juice, and gastrointestinal mucosa: effects of gastritis and oral supplementation,” Gut, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 171–176, 1996.
- S. J. Padayatty, A. Katz, Y. Wang et al., “Vitamin C as an antioxidant: evaluation of its role in disease prevention,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 18–35, 2003.
- A. H. Harding, N. J. Wareham, S. A. Bingham et al., “Plasma vitamin C level, fruit and vegetable consumption, and the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus The European prospective investigation of Cancer-Norfolk prospective study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 14, pp. 1493–1499, 2008.
- J. E. Shim, H. Y. Paik, C. S. Shin, K. S. Park, and H. K. Lee, “Vitamin C nutriture in newly diagnosed diabetes,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 217–221, 2010.
- M. A. Castro, C. Angulo, S. Brauchi, F. Nualart, and I. I. Concha, “Ascorbic acid participates in a general mechanism for concerted glucose transport inhibition and lactate transport stimulation,” Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 457, no. 2, pp. 519–528, 2008.
- C. I. Rivas, F. A. Zúñiga, A. Salas-Burgos, L. Mardones, V. Ormazabal, and J. C. Vera, “Vitamin C transporters,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 357–376, 2008.
- C. Malo and J. X. Wilson, “Glucose modulates vitamin C transport in adult human small intestinal brush border membrane vesicles,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2000.