- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 480650, 8 pages
Transcatheter Arterial Chemoembolization: History for More than 30 Years
1Department of Oncology, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
2State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Medical School, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Received 28 June 2012; Accepted 2 August 2012
Academic Editors: A. Amedei and Y. Chao
Copyright © 2012 Yong-Song Guan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. I. Seldinger, “Catheter replacement of the needle in percutaneous arteriography; a new technique,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 368–376, 1953.
- P. R. Rosenbluth, R. Grossman, and B. Arias, “Accurate placement of artificial emboli. A problem in the treatment of cerebral angiomas by the embolization method,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 174, pp. 308–309, 1960.
- T. Kato, R. Nemoto, H. Mori, M. Takahashi, and Y. Tamakawa, “Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization of renal cell carcinoma with microencapsulated mitomycin C,” Journal of Urology, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 1981.
- V. P. Chuang and S. Wallace, “Chemoembolization: transcatheter management of neoplasms,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 245, no. 11, pp. 1151–1152, 1981.
- M. Kudo, “The 2008 Okuda lecture: management of hepatocellular carcinoma: from surveillance to molecular targeted therapy,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 439–452, 2010.
- S. Eguchi, M. Hidaka, T. Tomonaga et al., “Actual therapeutic efficacy of pre-transplant treatment on hepatocellular carcinoma and its impact on survival after salvage living donor liver transplantation,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 624–629, 2009.
- B. Brooks, “The treatment of traumatic arterio-venous fistula,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 23, pp. 100–106, 1930.
- “The Seldinger technique. Reprint from acta radiologica 1953,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 5–7, 1984.
- M. Nusbaum, S. Baum, W. S. Blakemore, and A. K. Finkelstein, “Demonstration of intra-abdominal bleeding by selective arteriography. Visualization of celiac and superior mesenteric arteries,” The journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 191, pp. 389–390, 1965.
- M. Nusbaum, S. Baum, and W. S. Blakemore, “Clinical experience with the diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal hemorrhage by selective mesenteric catheterization,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 506–514, 1969.
- S. Baum and M. Nusbaum, “The control of gastrointestinal hemorrhage by selective mesenteric arterial infusion of vasopressin,” Radiology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 497–505, 1971.
- J. L. Doppman, G. Di Chiro, and A. K. Ommaya, “Percutaneous embolization of spinal cord arteriovenous malformations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 1971.
- J. Rösch, C. T. Dotter, and M. J. Brown, “Selective arterial embolization. A new method for control of acute gastrointestinal bleeding,” Radiology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 303–306, 1972.
- I. M. Murray-Lyon, “Treatment of hepatic tumours by ligation of the hepatic artery and infusion of cytotoxic drugs,” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 156–161, 1972.
- R. J. Lucas, O. Tumacder, and G. S. Wilson, “Hepatic artery occlusion following hepatic artery catheterization,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 238–243, 1971.
- J. C. Cleveland, “Inadvertent interruption of hepatic arterial flow,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 573–574, 1966.
- R. Carroll, “Infarction of the human liver,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 1963.
- S. R. Reuter, “The current status of angiography in the evaluation of cancer patients,” Cancer, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 532–541, 1976.
- D. Doyon, A. Mouzon, A. M. Jourde, C. Regensberg, and C. Frileux, “Hepatic, arterial embolization in patients with malignant liver tumours,” Annales de Radiologie, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 593–603, 1974.
- R. Yamada, H. Nakatsuka, K. Nakamura, et al., “Hepatic artery embolization in 32 patients with unresectable hepatoma,” Osaka City Medical Journal, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 81–96, 1980.
- M. A. Friedman, P. A. Volberding, and M. J. Cassidy, “Therapy for hepatocellular cancer with intrahepatic arterial adriamycin and 5-fluorouracil combined with whole-liver irradiadiation: a Northern California Oncology Group study,” Cancer Treatment Reports, vol. 63, no. 11-12, pp. 1885–1888, 1979.
- N. C. Misra, M. S. D. Jaiswal, R. V. Singh, and B. Das, “Intrahepatic arterial infusion of combination of mitomycin C and 5 fluorouracil in treatment of primary and metastatic liver carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1425–1429, 1977.
- H. Hirose, M. Aoyama, K. Oshima et al., “Chemotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma–with special reference to one-shot intra-arterial infusion of a high dose of adriamycin,” Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 2216–2221, 1982.
- P. G. Wheeler, W. Melia, and P. Dubbins, “Non-operative arterial embolisation in primary liver tumors,” British Medical Journal, vol. 2, no. 6184, pp. 242–244, 1979.
- A. Roche, D. Franco, and D. Dhumeaux, “Emergency hepatic arterial embolization for secondary hypercalcemia in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Radiology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 315–316, 1979.
- K. Ando, “Evaluation of conservative therapeutic modalities for hepatocellular carcinoma—analysis of 206 cases,” Gastroenterologia Japonica, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 436–446, 1984.
- K. Y. Tam, K. C. Leung, and Y. X. Wang, “Chemoembolization agents for cancer treatment,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- E. Liapi and J. F. H. Geschwind, “Chemoembolization for primary and metastatic liver cancer,” Cancer Journal, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 156–162, 2010.
- C. D. Gadaleta and G. Ranieri, “Trans-arterial chemoembolization as a therapy for liver tumours: new clinical developments and suggestions for combination with angiogenesis inhibitors,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 40–53, 2010.
- L. Marelli, R. Stigliano, C. Triantos et al., “Transarterial therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: which technique is more effective? A systematic review of cohort and randomized studies,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 6–25, 2007.
- M. Pleguezuelo, L. Marelli, M. Misseri, et al., “TACE versus TAE as therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Expert Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1623–1641, 2008.
- R. Miraglia, G. Pietrosi, L. Maruzzelli et al., “Efficacy of transcatheter embolization/chemoembolization (TAE/TACE) for the treatment of single hepatocellular carcinoma,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 21, pp. 2952–2955, 2007.
- A. Artinyan, R. Nelson, P. Soriano et al., “Treatment response to transcatheter arterial embolization and chemoembolization in primary and metastatic tumors of the liver,” The International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 396–404, 2008.
- J. Bruix, J. M. Llovet, A. Castells et al., “Transarterial embolization versus symptomatic treatment in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: results of a randomized, controlled trial in a single institution,” Hepatology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1578–1583, 1998.
- T. Toyama, N. Nitta, S. Ohta, et al., “Clinical trial of cisplatin-conjugated gelatin microspheres for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma,” Japanese Journal of Radiology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 2012.
- J. H. Kim, H. K. Yoon, G. Y. Ko et al., “Nonresectable combined hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma: analysis of the response and prognostic factors after transcatheter arterial chemoembolization,” Radiology, vol. 255, no. 1, pp. 270–277, 2010.
- I. K. Kang, S. W. Kim, S. H. Hahn, S. C. Cho, C. W. Gham, and D. H. Lee, “A comparison of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma between a short-term (less than 6 months) survival group and a long-term (over 24 months) survival group after treatment with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization,” Taehan Kan Hakhoe Chi, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 189–200, 2002.
- Y. H. Huang, J. C. Wu, G. Y. Chau et al., “Supportive treatment, resection and transcatheter arterial chemoembolization in resectable hepatocellular carcinoma: an analysis of survival in 419 patients,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 315–321, 1999.
- K. M. Eltawil, R. Berry, M. Abdolell, and M. Molinari, “Analysis of survival predictors in a prospective cohort of patients undergoing transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma in a single Canadian centre,” The International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 162–170, 2012.
- K. F. Hsu, C. H. Chu, D. C. Chan et al., “Superselective transarterial chemoembolization vs hepatic resection for resectable early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with Child-Pugh class a liver function,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 466–471, 2011.
- M. Biolato, G. Marrone, S. Racco et al., “Transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) for unresectable HCC: a new life begins?” European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 356–362, 2010.
- J. Y. Kim, J. S. Lee, D. H. Oh, Y. H. Yim, and H. K. Lee, “Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization confers survival benefit in patients with a spontaneously ruptured hepatocellular carcinoma,” European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 640–645, 2012.
- W. Y. Lau and E. C. H. Lai, “Hepatocellular carcinoma: current management and recent advances,” Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases International, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 237–257, 2008.
- J. L. Raoul, B. Sangro, A. Forner et al., “Evolving strategies for the management of intermediate-stage hepatocellular carcinoma: available evidence and expert opinion on the use of transarterial chemoembolization,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 212–220, 2011.
- M. Salhab and R. Canelo, “An overview of evidence-based management of hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 463–475, 2011.
- W. C. Chapman, M. B. Majella Doyle, J. E. Stuart et al., “Outcomes of neoadjuvant transarterial chemoembolization to downstage hepatocellular carcinoma before liver transplantation,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 248, no. 4, pp. 617–624, 2008.
- I. Bargellini, C. Vignali, R. Cioni et al., “Hepatocellular carcinoma: CT for tumor response after transarterial chemoembolization in patients exceeding Milan criteria—selection parameter for liver transplantation,” Radiology, vol. 255, no. 1, pp. 289–300, 2010.
- S. N. Goldberg and M. Ahmed, “Minimally invasive image-guided therapies for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 355, no. 5, supplement 2, pp. S115–S129, 2002.
- G. E. Chung, J. H. Lee, H. Y. Kim et al., “Transarterial chemoembolization can be safely performed in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma invading the main portal vein and may improve the overall survival,” Radiology, vol. 258, no. 2, pp. 627–634, 2011.
- K. Takayasu, “Superselective transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: recent progression and perspective,” Oncology, vol. 81, supplement 1, pp. 105–110, 2011.
- S. B. Paul, S. Gamanagatti, V. Sreenivas et al., “Trans-arterial chemoembolization (TACE) in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: experience from a Tertiary Care Centre in India,” Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 113–120, 2011.
- K. Hakamada, N. Kimura, T. Miura et al., “Des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin as an important prognostic indicator in patients with small hepatocellular carcinoma,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1370–1377, 2008.
- J. B. Zhang, Y. Chen, B. Zhang et al., “Prognostic significance of serum gamma-glutamyl transferase in patients with intermediate hepatocellular carcinoma treated with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization,” European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatolog, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 787–793, 2011.
- X. J. Shi, X. Jin, M. Q. Wang et al., “Effect of resection following downstaging of unresectable hepatocelluar carcinoma by transcatheter arterial chemoembolization,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 197–202, 2012.
- K. Takayasu, S. Arii, M. Kudo, et al., “Superselective transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma. Validation of treatment algorithm proposed by Japanese guidelines,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 886–892, 2012.
- H. van Malenstein, G. Maleux, V. Vandecaveye et al., “A randomized phase II study of drug-eluting beads versus transarterial chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma,” Onkologie, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 368–376, 2011.
- S. P. Kalva, S. I. Iqbal, K. Yeddula et al., “Transarterial chemoembolization with doxorubicin-eluting microspheres for inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastrointestinal Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 2–8, 2011.
- M. Scartozzi, G. S. Baroni, L. Faloppi et al., “Trans-arterial chemo-embolization (TACE), with either lipiodol (traditional TACE) or drug-eluting microspheres (precision TACE, pTACE) in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: efficacy and safety results from a large mono-institutional analysis,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 29, no. 1, article 164, 2010.
- F. Sundram, “Radionuclide therapy of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Biomedical Imaging and Intervention Journal, vol. 2, no. 3, article e40, 2006.
- Y. Shimamura, H. Shimizu, Y. Takenaka, et al., “Multidisciplinary therapy of hepatocellular carcinoma—TAI. TAE treatment by intra-arterial catheterization,” Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, vol. 13, no. 4, part 2, pp. 1596–1602, 1986.
- X. D. Zhou, “Recurrence and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma: progress and prospects,” Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases International, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2002.
- H. C. Sun and Z. Y. Tang, “Preventive treatments for recurrence after curative resection of hepatocellular carcinoma—a literature review of randomized control trials,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 635–640, 2003.
- Z. Y. Tang, Y. Q. Yu, and X. D. Zhou, “Three decades' experience in surgery of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. 126–133, 1997.
- A. Dettmer, T. D. Kirchhoff, M. Gebel et al., “Combination of repeated single-session percutaneous ethanol injection and transarterial chemoembolisation compared to repeated single-session percutaneous ethanol injection in patients with non-resectable hepatocellular carcinoma,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 23, pp. 3707–3715, 2006.
- J. H. Kim, H. J. Won, Y. M. Shin et al., “Medium-sized (3.1–5.0 cm) hepatocellular carcinoma: transarterial chemoembolization plus radiofrequency ablation versus radiofrequency ablation alone,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1624–1629, 2011.
- W. Wang, J. Shi, and W. F. Xie, “Transarterial chemoembolization in combination with percutaneous ablation therapy in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis,” Liver International, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 741–749, 2010.
- C. K. Park, S. H. Bae, H. J. Yang et al., “Successful treatment of stereotactic body radiation therapy combined with transarterial chemolipiodolization for hepatocellular carcinoma with biliary obstruction,” Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 94–98, 2011.
- S. S. Lo, L. A. Dawson, E. Y. Kim et al., “Stereotactic body radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Discovery Medicine, vol. 9, no. 48, pp. 404–410, 2010.
- Z. J. Wu, J. Cai, A. B. Xu, et al., “Combined three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy plus transcatheter arterial chemoembolization and surgical intervention for portal vein tumor thrombus in patients with hepatocelular carcinoma,” Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 91, no. 40, pp. 2841–2844, 2011.
- M. Kudo, “Future treatment option for hepatocellular carcinoma: a focus on brivanib,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 316–320, 2011.
- S. K. Chang, W. W. Hlaing, L. Yang, and C. K. Chui, “Current technology in navigation and robotics for liver tumours ablation,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 231–236, 2011.