- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 762920, 7 pages
Effect of Antioxidant Treatment on Fibrogenesis in Rats with Carbon Tetrachloride-Induced Cirrhosis
1Post-Graduation Medical Sciences Program, Medical School, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
2Laboratory of Molecular Biology of Autoimmune and Infectious Disease, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre (HCPA), 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
3Department of Physiology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), 90040-060 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
4Physiotherapy Course, Universidade Católica de Pelotas (UCPEL), 96010-000 Pelotas, RS, Brazil
5Post-Graduation Physiology, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), 90050-170 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
6Academic Course of Medicine, Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde de Porto Alegre (UFCSPA), Brazil
7Post-Graduation Medical Sciences Program, Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, 91045-140 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
8Laboratory of Molecular Biology of Autoimmune and Infectious Diseases, HCPA, 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
9Laboratory of Experimental Gastroenterology and Hepatology—Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), 92425-900 Canoas, RS, Brazil
10Laboratory of Oxidative Stress and Antioxidants—Lutheran University of Brazil (ULBRA), 92425-900 Canoas, RS, Brazil
Received 5 December 2011; Accepted 28 December 2011
Academic Editors: G.-T. Huang and G. D. Mazzolini
Copyright © 2012 Silvia Bona et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. L. Friedman, “Liver fibrosis—from bench to bedside,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. S38–S53, 2003.
- M. R. Ebrahimkhani, A. M. Elsharkawy, and D. A. Mann, “Wound healing and local neuroendocrine regulation in the injured liver,” Expert Reviews in Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, p. e11, 2008.
- H. L. Fang and W. C. Lin, “Lipid peroxidation products do not activate hepatic stellate cells,” Toxicology, vol. 253, no. 1–3, pp. 36–45, 2008.
- R. Perez Tamayo, “Is cirrhosis of the liver experimentally produced by CCl4 an adequate model of human cirrhosis?” Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 112–120, 1983.
- N. C. Henderson and S. J. Forbes, “Hepatic fibrogenesis: from within and outwith,” Toxicology, vol. 254, no. 3, pp. 130–135, 2008.
- S. Bengmark, M. D. Mesa, and A. Gil Hernández, “Plant-derived health—the effects of turmeric and curcuminoids,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 273–281, 2009.
- P. M. Amália, M. N. Possa, M. C. Augusto, and L. S. Francisca, “Quercetin prevents oxidative stress in cirrhotic rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 2616–2621, 2007.
- J. González-Gallego, S. Sánchez-Campos, and M. J. Tuñón, “Anti-inflammatory properties of dietary flavonoids,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 287–293, 2007.
- J. Tieppo, M. J. Cuevas, R. Vercelino, M. J. Tuñón, N. P. Marroni, and J. González-Gallego, “Quercetin administration ameliorates pulmonary complications of cirrhosis in rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 139, no. 7, pp. 1339–1346, 2009.
- S. Martinez-Florez, J. González-Gallego, J. M. Culebras, and M. J. Tuñón, “Flavonoids: properties and anti-oxidizing action,” Nutrition Hospital, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 271–278, 2002.
- C. Tokyol, S. Yilmaz, A. Kahraman, H. Çakar, and C. Polat, “The effects of desferrioxamine and quercetin on liver injury induced by hepatic ischaemia-reperfusion in rats,” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 68–72, 2006.
- J. Abilés, R. Moreno-Torres, G. Moratalla et al., “Effects of supply with glutamine on antioxidant system and lipid peroxidation in patients with parenteral nutrition,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 332–339, 2008.
- W. Peres, M. J. Tuón, P. S. Collado, S. Herrmann, N. Marroni, and J. González-Gallego, “The flavonoid quercetin ameliorates liver damage in rats with biliary obstruction,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 742–750, 2000.
- R. V. Cremonese, A. A. Pereira-Filho, R. Magalhães et al., “Experimental cirrhosis induced by carbon tetrachloride inhalation: technical modifications and lipoperoxidation effects,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 2001.
- M. Rojkind and E. Gonzalez, “An improved method for determining specific radioactivities of proline 14C and hydroxyproline 14C in collagen and in noncollagenous proteins,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1974.
- J. A. Buege and S. D. Aust, “Microsomal lipid peroxidation,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 52, pp. 302–310, 1978.
- H. P. Misra and I. Fridovich, “The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 247, no. 10, pp. 3170–3175, 1972.
- A. Boveris and B. Chance, “The mitochondrial generation of hydrogen peroxide. General properties and effect of hyperbaric oxygen,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 707–716, 1973.
- L. Flohe and W. A. Gunzler, “Assays of glutathione peroxidase,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 105, pp. 114–121, 1984.
- A. Kolberg, T. G. Rosa, M. T. Puhl et al., “Low expression of MRP1/GS-X pump ATPase in lymphocytes of Walker 256 tumour-bearing rats is associated with cyclopentenone prostaglandin accumulation and cancer immunodeficiency,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 23–39, 2006.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- B. Pawlikowska-Pawlega, W. Ignacy Gruszecki, L. Misiak et al., “Modification of membranes by quercetin, a naturally occurring flavonoid, via its incorporation in the polar head group,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1768, no. 9, pp. 2195–2204, 2007.
- M. G. Rajesh and M. S. Latha, “Preliminary evaluation of the antihepatotoxic activity of Kamilari, a polyherbal formulation,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 99–104, 2004.
- L. P. Yuan, F. H. Chen, L. Ling et al., “Protective effects of total flavonoids of Bidens bipinnata L. against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis in rats,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1393–1402, 2008.
- J. H. Tsai, J. Y. Liu, T. T. Wu et al., “Effects of silymarin on the resolution of liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 508–514, 2008.
- H. Yoshiji, S. Kuriyama, J. Yoshii et al., “Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 attenuates spontaneous liver fibrosis resolution in the transgenic mouse,” Hepatology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 850–860, 2002.
- H. Emonard and J. A. Grimaud, “Matrix metalloproteinases. A review,” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 131–153, 1990.
- Y. Iimuro and D. A. Brenner, “Matrix metalloproteinase gene delivery for liver fibrosis,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 249–258, 2008.
- A. M. Préaux, A. Mallat, J. T. Van Nhieu, M. P. D'Ortho, R. M. Hembry, and P. Mavier, “Matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation in human hepatic fibrosis regulation by cell-matrix interactions,” Hepatology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 944–950, 1999.
- M. Pilátová, V. Stupáková, L. Varinská et al., “Effect of selected flavones on cancer and endothelial cells,” General Physiology and Biophysics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 134–143, 2010.
- G. Drewa, E. Krzyzyńska-Malinowska, A. Woźniak et al., “Activity of superoxide dismutase and catalase and the level of lipid peroxidation products reactive with TBA in patients with psoriasis,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. BR338–BR343, 2002.
- D. P. Da Rosa, S. Bona, D. Simonetto, C. Zettler, C. A. Marroni, and N. P. Marroni, “Melatonin protects the liver and erythrocytes against oxidative stress in cirrhotic rats,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 2010.
- F. Q. Schafer and G. R. Buettner, “Redox environment of the cell as viewed through the redox state of the glutathione disulfide/glutathione couple,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1191–1212, 2001.
- A. M. Seufi, S. S. Ibrahim, T. K. Elmaghraby, and E. E. Hafez, “Preventive effect of the flavonoid,quercetin, on hepatic cancer in rats via oxidant/antioxidant activity: molecular and histological evidences,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 28, no. 1, article no. 80, 2009.
- J. Ø. Moskaug, H. Carlsen, M. Myhrstad, and R. Blomhoff, “Molecular imaging of the biological effects of quercetin and quercetin-rich foods,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 315–324, 2004.