- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 270750, 10 pages
The Dependence of Electrical Resistivity-Saturation Relationships on Multiphase Flow Instability
Department of Environmental Engineering and Earth Science, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29670, USA
Received 9 August 2012; Accepted 5 September 2012
Academic Editors: E. Liu and H. Perroud
Copyright © 2012 Zoulin Liu and Stephen M. J. Moysey. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Mogensen, E. H. Stenby, and D. Zhou, “Studies of waterflooding in low-permeable chalk by use of X-ray CT scanning,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2001.
- D. Tiab and E. C. Donaldson, Petrophysics—Theory and Practice of Measuring Reservoir Rock and Fluid Transport Properties, Gulf Professional, 2nd edition, 2004.
- E. Toumelin and C. Torres-Verdín, “Object-oriented approach for the pore-scale simulation of DC electrical conductivity of two-phase saturated porous media,” Geophysics, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. E67–E79, 2008.
- C. Aggelopoulos, P. Klepetsanis, M. A. Theodoropoulou, K. Pomoni, and C. D. Tsakiroglou, “Large-scale effects on resistivity index of porous media,” Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 299–323, 2005.
- T. W. J. Bauters, D. A. DiCarlo, T. S. Steenhuis, and J. Y. Parlange, “Preferential flow in water-repellent sands,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1185–1190, 1998.
- N. Weisbrod, M. R. Niemet, and J. S. Selker, “Imbibition of saline solutions into dry and prewetted porous media,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 841–855, 2002.
- N. B. Christensen, D. Sherlock, and K. Dodds, “Monitoring CO2 injection with cross-hole electrical resistivity tomography,” Exploration Geophysics, vol. 37, pp. 44–49, 2006.
- G. M. Homsy, “Viscous fingering in porous-media,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 19, pp. 271–311, 1987.
- G. Løvoll, Y. Méheust, K. J. Måløy, E. Aker, and J. Schmittbuhl, “Competition of gravity, capillary and viscous forces during drainage in a two-dimensional porous medium, a pore scale study,” Energy, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 861–872, 2005.
- Y. Méheust, G. Loøvoll, K. J. Måløy, and J. Schmittbuhl, “Interface scaling in a two-dimensional porous medium under combined viscous, gravity, and capillary effects,” Physical Review E, vol. 66, no. 5, Article ID 051603, 12 pages, 2002.
- J. P. Stokes, D. A. Weitz, J. P. Gollub et al., “Interfacial stability of immiscible displacement in a porous medium,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 57, no. 14, pp. 1718–1721, 1986.
- W. G. Anderson, “Wettability literature survey-part 3: the effect of wettability on the electrical properties of porous media,” Journal of Petroleum Technology, vol. 39, no. 13, pp. 1371–1378, 1986.
- S. Bekri, J. Howard, J. Muller, and P. M. Adler, “Electrical resistivity index in multiphase flow through porous media,” Transport in Porous Media, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 41–65, 2003.
- M. J. Blunt, M. D. Jackson, M. Piri, and P. H. Valvatne, “Detailed physics, predictive capabilities and macroscopic consequences for pore-network models of multiphase flow,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 25, no. 8–12, pp. 1069–1089, 2002.
- A. K. Moss, X. D. Jing, and J. S. Archer, “Wettability of reservoir rock and fluid systems from complex resistivity measurements,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 33, no. 1–3, pp. 75–85, 2002.
- D. Zhou, S. Arbabi, and E. H. Stenby, “A percolation study of wettability effect on the electrical properties of reservoir rocks,” Transport in Porous Media, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 85–98, 1997.
- G. E. Archie, “The electrical resistivity log as an aid in determining some reservoir characteristics,” Petroleum Transactions of AIME, vol. 146, pp. 54–62, 1942.
- S. A. Sweeney and H. Y. Jennings, “Effect of wettability on the electrical resistivity of carbonate rock from a petroleum reservoir,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 551–553, 1960.
- D. Abdassah, P. Permadi, Y. Sumantri, and R. Sumantri, “Saturation exponent at various wetting condition: fractal modeling of thin-sections,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 147–154, 1998.
- J. M. Hovadik and D. K. Larue, “Static characterizations of reservoirs: refining the concepts of connectivity and continuity,” Petroleum Geoscience, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 195–211, 2007.
- R. Lenormand, “Liquids in porous media,” Journal of Physics, vol. 2, pp. SA79–SA88, 1990.
- H. Yoon, M. Oostrom, and C. J. Werth, “Estimation of interfacial tension between organic liquid mixtures and water,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 20, pp. 7754–7761, 2009.
- J. F. Villaume, “Investigations at sites contaminated with dense, non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPLs),” Ground Water Monitoring Review, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 60–74, 1985.
- G. F. Tagg, “Practical investigations of the earth resistivity method of geophysical surveying,” Proceedings of the Physical Society, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 305–323, 1931.
- N. Hao, J. Waterman, T. A. Kendall, S. M. Moysey, and D. Ntarlagiannis, “Resolving IP mechanisms using micron-scale surface conductivity measurements and column SIP data,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 74, pp. A380–A380, 2010.
- C. J. G. Darnault, J. A. Throop, D. A. Dicarlo, A. Rimmer, T. S. Steenhuis, and J. Y. Parlange, “Visualization by light transmission of oil and water contents in transient two-phase flow fields,” Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 31, no. 3-4, pp. 337–348, 1998.
- M. R. Niemet and J. S. Selker, “A new method for quantification of liquid saturation in 2D translucent porous media systems using light transmission,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 651–666, 2001.