- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 208903, 6 pages
Immune Escape Mechanisms in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
1Department of Hemato-Oncology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University Olomouc, I. P. Pavlova 6, Olomouc 77520, Czech Republic
2Department of Clinical and Molecular Pathology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University Olomouc, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Received 5 November 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editors: V. Boussiotis and H. Dong
Copyright © 2012 V. Procházka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. M. Morton, S. S. Wang, S. S. Devesa, P. Hartge, D. D. Weisenburger, and M. S. Linet, “Lymphoma incidence patterns by WHO subtype in the United States, 1992–2001,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 265–276, 2006.
- N. Mounier, N. Heutte, C. Thieblemont, Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte (GELA), et al., “Ten-year relative survival and causes of death in elderly patients treated with R-CHOP or CHOP in the GELA LNH-985 trial,” Clinical Lymphoma Myeloma and Leukemia, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 151–154, 2012.
- T. Papajik, Z. Pikalova, L. Raida et al., “Rituximab does not adversely affect the stem cell mobilization and engraftment after high-dose therapy and autologous transplantation in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in first complete or partial remission,” Biomedical Papers of the Medical Faculty of the University Palacky, Olomouc, Czech Republic, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 211–214, 2009.
- C. Galand, S. Donnou, T. J. Molina, W. H. Fridman, S. Fisson, and C. Sautès-Fridman, “Influence of tumor location on the composition of immune infiltrate and its impact on patient survival. Lessons from DCBCL and animal models,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 3, article 98, 2012.
- S. M. Lippman, C. M. Spier, T. P. Miller, D. J. Slymen, J. A. Rybski, and T. M. Grogan, “Tumor-infiltrating T-lymphocytes in B-cell diffuse large cell lymphoma related to disease course,” Modern Pathology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 361–367, 1990.
- D. Hasenclever and V. Diehl, “A prognostic score for advanced Hodgkin's disease. International Prognostic Factors Project on Advanced Hodgkin's Disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 339, no. 21, pp. 1506–1514, 1998.
- M. C. Cox, I. Nofroni, L. Ruco et al., “Low absolute lymphocyte count is a poor prognostic factor in diffuse-large-B-cell-lymphoma,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1745–1751, 2008.
- T. Aoki, T. Nishiyama, N. Imahashi, and K. Kitamura, “Lymphopenia following the completion of first-line therapy predicts early relapse in patients with diffuse large B cell lymphoma,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 375–382, 2012.
- E. N. Rozali, S. V. Hato, B. W. Robinson, R. A. Lake, and W. J. Lesterhuis, “Programmed death ligand 2 in cancer-induced immune suppression,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2012, Article ID 656340, 8 pages, 2012.
- B. R. Blazar, A. L. Mellor, D. H. Munn, G. Zhou, and Z. C. Ding, “Chemotherapy rescues tumor-driven aberrant CD4+ T-cell differentiation and restores an activated polyfunctional helper phenotype,” Blood, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 2397–2406, 2010.
- L. M. Rimsza, R. A. Roberts, T. P. Miller et al., “Loss of MHC class II gene and protein expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is related to decreased tumor immunosurveillance and poor patient survival regardless of other prognostic factors: a follow-up study from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Molecular Profiling Project,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 4251–4258, 2004.
- L. M. Rimsza, R. A. Roberts, T. M. Grogan et al., “Loss of major histocompatibility class II expression in non-immune-privileged site diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is highly coordinated and not due to chromosomal deletions,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 1101–1107, 2006.
- A. Alizadeh, M. B. Eisen, R. E. Davis, et al., “Distinct types of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identified by gene expression profiling,” Nature, vol. 403, no. 6769, pp. 503–511, 2000.
- A. Rosenwald, G. Wright, W. C. Chan, et al., “The use of molecular profiling to predict survival after chemotherapy for diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma,” The New England Journal Medicine, vol. 346, no. 25, pp. 1937–1947, 2002.
- K. A. Cycon, L. M. Rimsza, and S. P. Murphy, “Alterations in CIITA constitute a common mechanism accounting for downregulation of MHC class II expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL),” Experimental Hematology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 184.e2–194.e2, 2009.
- J. P. Y. Ting and J. Trowsdale, “Genetic control of MHC class II expression,” Cell, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. S21–S33, 2002.
- W. Reith, S. L. Gut-Landmann, and J. M. Waldburger, “Regulation of MHC class II gene expression by the class II transactivator,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 793–806, 2005.
- C. Steidl, S. P. Shah, B. W. Woolcock et al., “MHC class II transactivator CIITA is a recurrent gene fusion partner in lymphoid cancers,” Nature, vol. 471, no. 7338, pp. 377–383, 2011.
- C. H. Steidl and R. Gascoyne, “The molecular pathogenesis of primary mediastinal large B-cell,” Blood, vol. 118, no. 10, pp. 2659–2669, 2011.
- M. R. Green, S. Monti, S. J. Rodig et al., “Integrative analysis reveals selective 9p24.1 amplification, increased PD-1 ligand expression, and further induction via JAK2 in nodular sclerosing Hodgkin lymphoma and primary mediastinal large B-cell lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 116, no. 17, pp. 3268–3277, 2010.
- Z. Z. Yang, A. J. Novak, M. J. Stenson, T. E. Witzig, and S. M. Ansell, “Intratumoral CD4+CD25+ regulatory T-cell-mediated suppression of infiltrating CD4+ T cells in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 9, pp. 3639–3646, 2006.
- Y. Han, J. Wu, L. Bi, et al., “Malignant B cells induce the conversion of CD4+CD25- T cells to regulatory T cells in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 12, Article ID e28649, 2011.
- A. Tzankov, C. Meier, P. Hirschmann, P. Went, S. A. Pileri, and S. Dirnhofer, “Correlation of high numbers of intratumoral FOXP3+ regulatory T cells with improved survival in germinal center-like diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, follicular lymphoma and classical Hodgkin's lymphoma,” Haematologica, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 2008.
- N. R. Lee, E. K. Song, K. Y. Jang et al., “Prognostic impact of tumor infiltrating FOXP3 positive regulatory T cells in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma at diagnosis,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 247–256, 2008.
- J. Wang and X. Ke, “The four type sof Tregs in malignit lymphomas,” Journal of Hematology & Oncology, vol. 4, article 50, 2011.
- M. Ishida, Y. Iwai, Y. Tanaka et al., “Differential expression of PD-L1 and PD-L2, ligands for an inhibitory receptor PD-1, in the cells of lymphohematopoietic tissues,” Immunology Letters, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2002.
- R. A. Wilcox, A. L. Feldman, D. A. Wada, et al., “B7-H1 (PD-L1, CD274) suppresses host imunity in T-cell lymfoproliferative disorders,” Blood, vol. 114, no. 10, pp. 2149–2158, 2012.
- A. Rosenwald, G. Wright, K. Leroy et al., “Molecular diagnosis of primary mediastinal B cell lymphoma identifies a clinically favorable subgroup of diffuse large B cell lymphoma related to Hodgkin lymphoma,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 198, no. 6, pp. 851–862, 2003.
- B. G. Richendollar, B. Pohlman, P. Elson, and E. D. Hsi, “Follicular programmed death 1-positive lymphocytes in the tumor microenvironment are an independent prognostic factor in follicular lymphoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 552–557, 2011.
- R. A. Roberts, G. Wright, A. R. Rosenwald et al., “Loss of major histocompatibility class II gene and protein expression in primary mediastinal large B-cell lymphoma is highly coordinated and related to poor patient survival,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 311–318, 2006.
- L. M. Rimsza, P. Farinha, D. A. Fuchs, H. Masoudi, J. M. Connors, and R. D. Gascoyne, “HLA-DR protein status predicts survival in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated on the MACOP-B chemotherapy regimen,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 542–546, 2007.
- A. Gallimore and A. Godkin, “Regulatory T cells and tumour immunity—observations in mice and men,” Immunology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 157–163, 2008.
- M. Beyer and J. L. Schultze, “Regulatory T cells in cancer,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 804–811, 2006.
- S. Hasselblom, M. Sigurdadottir, U. Hansson, H. Nilsson-Ehle, B. Ridell, and P. O. Andersson, “The number of tumour-infiltrating TIA-1+ cytotoxic T cells but not FOXP3+ regulatory T cells predicts outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 137, no. 4, pp. 364–373, 2007.
- M. Felcht, M. Heck, C. Weiss, et al., “Expression of the T-cell regulatory marker FOXP3 in primary cutaneous large B-cell lymphoma tumor cells,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 348–358, 2012.
- A. J. Currie, A. Prosser, A. McDonnell et al., “Dual control of antitumor CD8 T cells through the programmed death-1/programmed death-ligand 1 pathway and immunosuppressive CD4 T cells: regulation and counterregulation,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 183, no. 12, pp. 7898–7908, 2009.
- S. L. Topalian, C. G. Drake, and D. M. Pardoll, “Targeting the PD-1/B7-H1(PD-L1) pathway to activate anti-tumor immunity,” Current Opinon in Immunology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 207–212, 2012.
- J. Li, M. Favata, J. A. Kelley et al., “INCB16562, a JAK1/2 selective inhibitor, is efficacious against multiple myeloma cells and reverses the protective effects of cytokine and stromal cell support,” Neoplasia, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28–38, 2010.
- S. L. Topalian, F. S. Hodi, J. R. Brahmer, et al., “Safety, activity, and immune correlates of Anti-PD-1 antibody in cancer,” The New England Jornal of Medicine, vol. 366, pp. 2443–2454, 2012.