- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 345791, 12 pages
Modulation of Neutrophil Apoptosis by Antimicrobial Peptides
1Department of Host Defense and Biochemical Research, Juntendo University, Graduate School of Medicine, 2-1-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan
2Atopy (Allergy) Research Center, Juntendo University, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan
3Seikagaku Biobusiness Corporation, Tokyo 104-0033, Japan
4Institute of Ohtaka Enzyme Co., Hokkaido 047-0156, Japan
Received 1 December 2011; Accepted 11 January 2012
Academic Editors: V. Juillard, A. Mirazimi, F. Navarro-Garcia, and A. Netrusov
Copyright © 2012 Isao Nagaoka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Smith, “Neutrophils, host defense, and inflammation: a double-edged sword,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 672–686, 1994.
- M. Whyte, S. Renshaw, R. Lawson, and C. Bingle, “Apoptosis and the regulation of neutrophil lifespan,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 802–807, 1999.
- C. Akgul, D. A. Moulding, and S. W. Edwards, “Molecular control of neutrophil apoptosis,” FEBS Letters, vol. 487, no. 3, pp. 318–322, 2001.
- H. U. Simon, “Neutrophil apoptosis pathways and their modifications in inflammation,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 101–110, 2003.
- F. Colotta, F. Re, N. Polentarutti, S. Sozzani, and A. Mantovani, “Modulation of granulocyte survival and programmed cell death by cytokines and bacterial products,” Blood, vol. 80, no. 8, pp. 2012–2020, 1992.
- M. F. Jimenez, R. W. G. Watson, J. Parodo et al., “Dysregulated expression of neutrophil apoptosis in the systemic inflammatory response syndrome,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 132, no. 12, pp. 1263–1270, 1997.
- M. Keel, U. Ungethüm, U. Steckholzer et al., “Interleukin-10 counterregulates proinflammatory cytokine-induced inhibition of neutrophil apoptosis during severe sepsis,” Blood, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 3356–3363, 1997.
- G. Matute-bello, W. C. Liles, F. Radella II et al., “Neutrophil apoptosis in the acute respiratory distress syndrome,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 156, no. 6, pp. 1969–1977, 1997.
- C. Oberholzer, A. Oberholzer, M. Clare-Salzler, and L. L. Moldawer, “Apoptosis in sepsis: a new target for therapeutic exploration,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 879–892, 2001.
- J. Cohen, “The immunopathogenesis of sepsis,” Nature, vol. 420, no. 6917, pp. 885–891, 2002.
- W. C. Liles, P. A. Kiener, J. A. Ledbetter, A. Aruffo, and S. J. Klebanoff, “Differential expression of Fas (CD95) and Fas ligand on normal human phagocytes: implications for the regulation of apoptosis in neutrophils,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 429–440, 1996.
- Y. Kasahara, K. Iwai, A. Yachie et al., “Involvement of reactive oxygen intermediates in spontaneous and CD95(Fas/APO-1)-mediated apoptosis of neutrophils,” Blood, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1748–1753, 1997.
- R. Gamberale, M. Giordano, A. S. Trevani, G. Andonegui, and J. R. Geffner, “Modulation of human neutrophil apoptosis by immune complexes,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 161, no. 7, pp. 3666–3674, 1998.
- L. Allen, D. H. Dockrell, T. Pattery et al., “Pyocyanin production by Pseudomonas aeruginosa induces neutrophil apoptosis and impairs neutrophil-mediated host defenses in vivo,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 3643–3649, 2005.
- R. E. W. Hancock and G. Diamond, “The role of cationic antimicrobial peptides in innate host defences,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 402–410, 2000.
- T. Ganz, “Defensins: antimicrobial peptides of innate immunity,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 710–720, 2003.
- M. E. Selsted and A. J. Ouellette, “Mammalian defensins in the antimicrobial immune response,” Nature Immunology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 551–557, 2005.
- R. Gennaro and M. Zanetti, “Structural features and biological activities of the cathelicidin-derived antimicrobial peptides,” Biopolymers, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 31–49, 2000.
- F. Niyonsaba, I. Nagaoka, and H. Ogawa, “Human defensins and cathelicidins in the skin: beyond direct antimicrobial properties,” Critical Reviews in Immunology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 545–576, 2006.
- L. M. Rehaume and R. E. W. Hancock, “Neutrophil-derived defensins as modulators of innate immune function,” Critical Reviews in Immunology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 185–200, 2008.
- J. W. Larrick, M. Hirata, R. F. Balint, J. Lee, J. Zhong, and S. C. Wright, “Human CAP18: a novel antimicrobial lipopolysaccharide-binding protein,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1291–1297, 1995.
- G. H. Gudmundsson, B. Agerberth, J. Odeberg, T. Bergman, B. Olsson, and R. Salcedo, “The human gene FALL39 and processing of the cathelin precursor to the antibacterial peptide LL-37 in granulocytes,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 238, no. 2, pp. 325–332, 1996.
- I. Nagaoka, H. Tamura, and M. Hirata, “An antimicrobial cathelicidin peptide, human CAP18/LL-37, suppresses neutrophil apoptosis via the activation of formyl-peptide receptor-like 1 and P2X7,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 176, no. 5, pp. 3044–3052, 2006.
- I. Nagaoka, F. Niyonsaba, Y. Tsutsumi-Ishii, H. Tamura, and M. Hirata, “Evaluation of the effect of human β-defensins on neutrophil apoptosis,” International Immunology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 543–553, 2008.
- I. Nagaoka, K. Suzuki, T. Murakami, F. Niyonsaba, H. Tamura, and M. Hirata, “Evaluation of the effect of α-defensin human neutrophil peptides on neutrophil apoptosis,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 925–934, 2010.
- C. Zhao, I. Wang, and R. I. Lehrer, “Widespread expression of β-defensin hBD-1 in human secretory glands and epithelial cells,” FEBS Letters, vol. 396, no. 2-3, pp. 319–322, 1996.
- C. Fulton, G. M. Anderson, M. Zasloff, R. Bull, and A. G. Quinn, “Expression of natural peptide antibiotics in human skin,” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9093, pp. 1750–1751, 1997.
- J. Harder, J. Bartels, E. Christophers, and J. M. Schröder, “A peptide antibiotic from human skin,” Nature, vol. 387, no. 6636, article 861, 1997.
- A. Y. Liu, D. Destoumieux, A. V. Wong et al., “Human β-defensin-2 production in keratinocytes is regulated by interleukin-1, bacteria, and the state of differentiation,” The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 275–281, 2002.
- J. Harder, J. Bartels, E. Christophers, and J. M. Schröder, “Isolation and characterization of human β-defensin-3, a novel human inducible peptide antibiotic,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 8, pp. 5707–5713, 2001.
- J. R. C. García, F. Jaumann, S. Schulz et al., “Identification of a novel, multifunctional β-defensin (human β-defensin 3) with specific antimicrobial activity: its interaction with plasma membranes of Xenopus oocytes and the induction of macrophage chemoattraction,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 306, no. 2, pp. 257–264, 2001.
- J. R. García, A. Krause, S. Schulz et al., “Human β-defensin 4: a novel inducible peptide with a specific salt-sensitive spectrum of antimicrobial activity,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1819–1821, 2001.
- J. Harder, U. Meyer-Hoffert, K. Wehkamp, L. Schwichtenberg, and J. M. Schröder, “Differential gene induction of human β-defensins (hBD-1,-2,-3, and -4) in keratinocytes is inhibited by retinoic acid,” The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 522–529, 2004.
- Y. Yamaguchi, T. Nagase, R. Makita et al., “Identification of multiple novel epididymis-specific β-defensin isoforms in humans and mice,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 169, no. 5, pp. 2516–2523, 2002.
- D. Yang, O. Chertov, and J. J. Oppenheim, “Participation of mammalian defensins and cathelicidins in anti-microbial immunity: receptors and activities of human defensins and cathelicidin (LL-37),” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 691–697, 2001.
- M. C. Territo, T. Ganz, M. E. Selsted, and R. Lehrer, “Monocyte-chemotactic activity of defensins from human neutrophils,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 2017–2020, 1989.
- D. Yang, Q. Chen, O. Chertov, and J. J. Oppenheim, “Human neutrophil defensins selectively chemoattract naive T and immature dendritic cells,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2000.
- B. de Yang, Q. Chen, A. P. Schmidt et al., “LL-37, the neutrophil granule- and epithelial cell-derived cathelicidin, utilizes formyl peptide receptor-like 1 (FPRL1) as a receptor to chemoattract human peripheral blood neutrophils, monocytes, and T cells,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 192, no. 7, pp. 1069–1074, 2000.
- F. Niyonsaba, H. Ogawa, and I. Nagaoka, “Human β-defensin-2 functions as a chemotactic agent for tumour necrosis factor-α-treated human neutrophils,” Immunology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 273–281, 2004.
- M. O. Hengartner, “The biochemistry of apoptosis,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6805, pp. 770–776, 2000.
- A. Elssner, M. Duncan, M. Gavrilin, and M. D. Wewers, “A novel P2X7 receptor activator, the human cathelicidin-derived peptide LL37, induces IL-1β processing and release,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 172, no. 8, pp. 4987–4994, 2004.
- Y. S. Bae, H. Y. Lee, E. J. Jo et al., “Identification of peptides that antagonize formyl peptide receptor-like 1-mediated signaling,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 607–614, 2004.
- R. A. North and A. Surprenant, “Pharmacology of cloned P2X receptors,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 40, pp. 563–580, 2000.
- P. G. Baraldi, F. di Virgilio, and R. Romagnoli, “Agonists and antagonists acting at P2X7 receptor,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 16, pp. 1707–1717, 2004.
- G. H. Fan, L. Z. Wang, H. C. Qiu, L. Ma, and G. Pei, “Inhibition of calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II in rat hippocampus attenuates morphine tolerance and dependence,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 1999.
- Y. Le, P. M. Murphy, and J. M. Wang, “Formyl-peptide receptors revisited,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 541–548, 2002.
- A. Cossarizza, M. Baccarani-Contri, G. Kalashnikova, and C. Franceschi, “A new method for the cytofluorimetric analysis of mitochondrial membrane potential using the J-aggregate forming lipophilic cation 5,,6,-tetrachloro-1,,3,-tetraethylbenzimidazolcarbocyanine iodide (JC-1),” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. 40–45, 1993.
- A. Zlotnik and O. Yoshie, “Chemokines: a new classification system and their role in immunity,” Immunity, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2000.
- Z. Wu, D. M. Hoover, D. Yang, et al., “Engineering disulfide bridges to dissect antimicrobial and chemotactic activities of human β-defensin 3,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 15, pp. 8880–8885, 2003.
- M. P. Abbracchio, G. Burnstock, J. M. Boeynaems, et al., “International Union of Pharmacology LVIII: update on the P2Y G protein-coupled nucleotide receptors: from molecular mechanisms and pathophysiology to therapy,” Pharmacol Reviews, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 281–341, 2006.
- A. A. Khine, L. del Sorbo, R. Vaschetto et al., “Human neutrophil peptides induce interleukin-8 production through the P2Y6 signaling pathway,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 2936–2942, 2006.
- L. K. Mamedova, B. V. Joshi, Z. G. Gao, I. von Kügelgen, and K. A. Jacobson, “Diisothiocyanate derivatives as potent, insurmountable antagonists of P2Y6 nucleotide receptors,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 1763–1770, 2004.
- H. Li, H. Zhu, C. J. Xu, and J. Yuan, “Cleavage of BID by caspase 8 mediates the mitochondrial damage in the Fas pathway of apoptosis,” Cell, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 491–501, 1998.
- B. Lamothe and B. B. Aggarwal, “Ectopic expression of Bcl-2 and Bcl- inhibits apoptosis induced by TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) through suppression of caspases-8, 7, and 3 and BID cleavage in human acute myelogenous leukemia cell line HL-60,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 269–279, 2002.
- B. A. Nolan, A. Duffy, L. Paquin et al., “Mitogen-activated protein kinases signal inhibition of apoptosis in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated neutrophils,” Surgery, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 406–412, 1999.
- K. Matsuzaki, “Why and how are peptide-lipid interactions utilized for self-defense? Magainins and tachyplesins as archetypes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 1–10, 1999.
- G. H. Gudmundsson and B. Agerberth, “Neutrophil antibacterial peptides, multifunctional effector molecules in the mammalian immune system,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 232, no. 1-2, pp. 45–54, 1999.
- D. M. E. Bowdish, D. J. Davidson, and R. E. W. Hancock, “A re-evaluation of the role of host defence peptides in mammalian immunity,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 35–51, 2005.
- C. I. U. Chen, S. Schaller-Bals, K. P. Paul, U. Wahn, and R. Bals, “β-defensins and LL-37 in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of patients with cystic fibrosis,” Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2004.
- A. M. Cole, S. Tahk, A. Oren et al., “Determinants of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1064–1069, 2001.
- T. Ganz, “Extracellular release of antimicrobial defensins by human polymorphonuclear leukocytes,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 568–571, 1987.
- O. E. Sørensen, P. Follin, A. H. Johnsen et al., “Human cathelicidin, hCAP-18, is processed to the antimicrobial peptide LL-37 by extracellular cleavage with proteinase 3,” Blood, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 3951–3959, 2001.
- K. Theilgaard-Mönch, S. Knudsen, P. Follin, and N. Borregaard, “The transcriptional activation program of human neutrophils in skin lesions supports their important role in wound healing,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 172, no. 12, pp. 7684–7693, 2004.
- A. Zychlinsky and P. Sansonetti, “Apoptosis in bacterial pathogenesis,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 493–496, 1997.