- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 650563, 9 pages
Isolation of Cellulolytic Bacillus subtilis Strains from Agricultural Environments
1Division of Sustainable Agriculture Research, Jeju Agricultural Research and Extension Services, Jeju-do 697-828, Republic of Korea
2Research Division, Bio-Agr Co. Ltd., Jeju-shi, Jeju-do 690-022, Republic of Korea
3Department of Food Bioengineering, Jeju National University, Jeju-do 690-756, Republic of Korea
Received 4 October 2011; Accepted 20 November 2011
Academic Editors: M. Feiss and M. T. Rowe
Copyright © 2012 Yu-Kyoung Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. M. Wood and V. Garcia-Campayo, “Enzymology of cellulose degradation,” Biodegradation, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 147–161, 1990.
- X. Li, H. Yang, B. Roy et al., “The most stirring technology in future: cellulase enzyme and biomass utilization,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 2418–2422, 2009.
- M. K. Bhat and S. Bhat, “Cellulose degrading enzymes and their potential industrial applications,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 583–620, 1997.
- B. Henrissat, H. Rodriguez, C. Viet,, and M. Schulein, “Synergism of cellulases from Trichoderma reesei in the degradation of cellulose,” Biotechnology, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 722–726, 1985.
- J. Knowles, P. Lehtovaara, and T. Teeri, “Cellulase families and their genes,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 255–261, 1987.
- T. M. Wood and S. I. McCrae, “The cellulase of T. koningii; Purification and properties of some endoglucanase components with special reference to their action on cellulose when acting alone and in synergism with the cellobiohydrolase,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 1978.
- W. Giligan and E. T. Reese, “Evidence for multiple components in microbial cellulases,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 90–107, 1954.
- T. M. Wood, “Properties of cellulolytic enzyme systems,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 407–410, 1985.
- D. W. Thayer and C. A. David, “Growth of seeded cellulolytic enrichment cultures on mesquite wood,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 291–296, 1978.
- L. M. Robson and G. H. Chambliss, “Characterization of the cellulolytic activity of a Bacillus isolate,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1039–1046, 1984.
- N. Dhillon, S. Chhibber, and M. Saxena, “A constitutive endoglucanase (CMCase) from Bacillus licheniformis-1,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 695–697, 1985.
- K. Ozaki and S. Ito, “Purification and properties of an acid endo-1,4-β-glucanase from Bacillus sp. KSM-330,” Journal of General Microbiology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 1991.
- K. Horikoshi, “Alkaline cellulases from alkaliphilic Bacillus: enzymatic properties, genetics, and application to detergents,” Extremophiles, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 61–66, 1997.
- K. Aa, R. Flengsrud, V. Lindahl, and A. Tronsmo, “Characterization of production and enzyme properties of an endo-β-1,4-glucanase from Bacillus subtilis CK-2 isolated from compost soil,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 319–326, 1994.
- C.-H. Kim, “Characterization and substrate specificity of an endo-β-1,4-D-glucanase I (Avicelase I) from an extracellular multienzyme complex of Bacillus circulans,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 959–965, 1995.
- R. Berlemont, M. Delsaute, D. Pipers et al., “Insights into bacterial cellulose biosynthesis by functional metagenomics on Antarctic soil samples,” The ISME Journal, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1070–1081, 2009.
- T. Gibson and R. E. Gordon, “Endosporeforming rods and cocci,” in Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, R. E. Buchanan and N. E. Gibbons, Eds., pp. 529–574, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 8th edition, 1974.
- F. M. Ausubel, R. Brent, R. E. Kingston, et al., Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, Greene Publishing Associates and Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- F. Sanger, S. Nicklen, and A. R. Coulson, “DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 5463–5467, 1977.
- G. L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- T. K. Ghose, “Measurement of cellulase activities,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 257–268, 1987.
- M. J. Bailey, P. Biely, and K. Poutanen, “Interlaboratory testing of methods for assay of xylanase activity,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 257–270, 1992.
- S. H. Park and M. Y. Pack, “Cloning and expression of a Bacillus cellulase gene in Escherichia coli,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 725–728, 1986.
- F. Fukumori, T. Kudo, and K. Horikoshi, “Purification and properties of a cellulase from alkalophilic Bacillus sp. no. 1139,” Journal of General Microbiology, vol. 131, no. 12, pp. 3339–3345, 1985.
- T. Hamamoto, F. Foong, O. Shoseyov, and R. H. Doi, “Analysis of functional domains of endoglucanases from Clostridium cellulovorans by gene cloning, nucleotide sequencing and chimeric protein construction,” Molecular and General Genetics, vol. 231, no. 3, pp. 472–479, 1992.
- N. Ait, N. Creuzet, and P. Forget, “Partial purification of cellulase from Clostridium thermocellum,” Journal of General Microbiology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 399–402, 1979.
- Y. W. Han and V. R. Srinivasan, “Purification and characterization of β-glucosidase of Alcaligenes faecalis,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 1355–1363, 1969.
- T. Bartley, C. Waldron, and D. Eveleigh, “A cellobiohydrolase from a thermophilic actinomycete, Microbispora bispora,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 337–338, 1984.
- S. Pajni, N. Dhillon, D. V. Vadehra, and P. Sharma, “Carboxymethyl cellulase, β-glucosidase and xylanase production by Bacillus isolates from soil,” International Biodeterioration, vol. 25, no. 1–3, pp. 1–5, 1989.
- J. X. Heck, P. F. Hertz, and A. Z. Ayub, “Cellulase and xylanase production by isolated amazon Bacillus strains using soybean industrial residue based solid-state cultivation,” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 213–218, 2002.