- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 207043, 7 pages
Spin Relaxation in Germanium Nanowires
Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur 208016, India
Received 2 April 2012; Accepted 6 May 2012
Academic Editors: M. Bescond and J.-M. Shen
Copyright © 2012 Ashish Kumar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Fert, “The present and the future of spintronics,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 517, no. 1, pp. 2–5, 2008.
- I. Žutić, J. Fabian, and S. D. Sarma, “Spintronics: fundamentals and applications,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 323–410, 2004.
- S. Bandyopadhyay and M. Cahay, Introduction to Spintronics, CRC Press, 2008.
- J. Fabian, A. Matos-Abiague, C. Ertler, P. Stano, and I. Žutić, “Semiconductor spintronics,” Acta Physica Slovaca, vol. 57, no. 4-5, pp. 565–907, 2007.
- M. W. Wu, J. H. Jiang, and M. Q. Weng, “Spin dynamics in semiconductors,” Physics Reports, vol. 493, no. 2–4, pp. 61–236, 2010.
- A. Kamra, B. Ghosh, and T. K. Ghosh, “Spin relaxation due to electron-electron magnetic interaction in high Lande g -factor semiconductors,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 108, no. 5, Article ID 054505, 2010.
- D. Hägele, M. Oestreich, W. W. Rühle, N. Nestle, and K. Eberl, “Spin transport in GaAs,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 11, pp. 1580–1582, 1998.
- L. Kong, G. Du, Y. Wang, J. Kang, R. Han, and X. Liu, “Simulation of spin-polarized transport in GaAs/GaAlAs quantum well considering intersubband scattering by the Monte Carlo method,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Simulation of Semiconductor Processes and Devices (SISPAD '05), pp. 175–178, September 2005.
- D. Sánchez, C. Gould, G. Schmidt, and L. W. Molenkamp, “Spin-polarized transport in II-VI magnetic resonant-tunneling devices,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 984–990, 2007.
- C. Tahan and R. Joynt, “Rashba spin-orbit coupling and spin relaxation in silicon quantum wells,” Physical Review B, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 1–7, 2005.
- S. P. Dash, S. Sharma, R. S. Patel, M. P. De Jong, and R. Jansen, “Electrical creation of spin polarization in silicon at room temperature,” Nature, vol. 462, no. 7272, pp. 491–494, 2009.
- S. Pramanik, S. Bandyopadhyay, and M. Cahay, “Spin transport in nanowires,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology, vol. 2, pp. 87–90, 2003.
- A. Bournel, P. Dollfus, P. Bruno, and P. Hesto, “Spin polarized transport in 1D and 2D semiconductor heterostructures,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 297-298, pp. 205–212, 1999.
- P. Logan and X. Peng, “Strain-modulated electronic properties of Ge nanowires: a first-principles study,” Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 11, Article ID 115322, 2009.
- S. Patibandla, S. Pramanik, S. Bandyopadhyay, and G. C. Tepper, “Spin relaxation in a germanium nanowire,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, no. 4, Article ID 044303, 2006.
- E. S. Liu, J. Nah, K. M. Varahramyan, and E. Tutuc, “Lateral spin injection and large spin diffusion length in germanium,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 3297–3302, 2010.
- S. Patibandla, G. M. Atkinson, S. Bandyopadhyay, and G. C. Tepper, “Competing D'yakonov-Perel' and Elliott-Yafet spin relaxation in germanium,” Physica E, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1721–1726, 2010.
- M. I. D’yakonov and V. I. Perel, “Spin relaxation of conduction electrons in noncentrosymmetric semiconductors,” Soviet Physics, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 3023–3026, 1972.
- G. L. Bir, A. G. Aronov, and G. E. Pikus, “Spin relaxation of electrons scattered by holes,” Soviet Physics, vol. 42, pp. 705–712, 1976.
- R. J. Elliott, “Theory of the effect of spin-Orbit coupling on magnetic resonance in some semiconductors,” Physical Review, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 266–279, 1954.
- A. Martinez, R. Brown, and A. Asenov, “Full-band NEGF simulations of surface roughness in Si nanowires,” Journal of Physics, vol. 242, Article ID 012016, 2010.
- C. Jacoboni and L. Reggiani, “The Monte Carlo method for the solution of charge transport in semiconductors with applications to covalent materials,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 645–705, 1983.
- C. Jacoboni and P. Lugli, The Monte Carlo Method for Semiconductor Device Simulation, Springer, Vienna, Austria, 1989.
- S. Saikin, M. Shen, M. C. Cheng, and V. Privman, “Semiclassical Monte Carlo model for in-plane transport of spin-polarized electrons in III-V heterostructures,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 1769–1775, 2003.
- A. Kumar, M. W. Akram, S. G. Dinda, and B. Ghosh, “Spin relaxation in silicon nanowires,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, In press.
- E. A. De Andrada E Silva, G. C. La Rocca, and F. Bassani, “Spin-split subbands and magneto-oscillations in III-V asymmetric heterostructures,” Physical Review B, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 8523–8533, 1994.
- W. Fawcett and E. G. S. Paige, “Negative differential mobility of electrons in germanium: a Monte Carlo calculation of the distribution function, drift velocity and carrier population in the (111) and (100) minima,” Journal of Physics C, vol. 4, no. 13, pp. 1801–1821, 1971.
- P. H. Song and K. W. Kim, “Spin relaxation of conduction electrons in bulk III-V semiconductors,” Physical Review B, vol. 66, no. 3, Article ID 035207, pp. 352071–352078, 2002.
- E. B. Ramayya, D. Vasileska, S. M. Goodnick, and I. Knezevic, “Electron transport in silicon nanowires: the role of acoustic phonon confinement and surface roughness scattering,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 104, no. 6, Article ID 063711, 2008.
- J. Lee and H. N. Spector, “Impurity-limited mobility of semiconducting thin wire,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 3921–3925, 1983.
- R. Kotlyar, B. Obradovic, P. Matagne, M. Stettler, and M. D. Giles, “Assessment of room-temperature phonon-limited mobility in gated silicon nanowires,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 25, pp. 5270–5272, 2004.
- P. J. Price, “Two-dimensional electron transport in semiconductor layers. I. Phonon scattering,” Annals of Physics, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 217–239, 1981.
- K. Yokoyama and K. Hess, “Monte carlo study of electronic transport in Al1-xGaxAs/GaAs single-well heterostructures,” Physical Review B, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 5595–5606, 1986.
- H. Tanimoto, N. Yasuda, K. Taniguchi, and C. Hamaguchi, “Monte Carlo study of hot electron transport in quantum wells,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 563–571, 1988.
- V. M. Polyakov and F. Schwierz, “Monte Carlo calculation of two-dimensional electron gas mobility in InN-based heterostructures,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 3, Article ID 033703, 2007.
- S. Pramanik, S. Bandyopadhyay, and M. Cahay, “Decay of spin-polarized hot carrier current in a quasi-one-dimensional spin-valve structure,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 266–268, 2004.
- Y. Kunihashi, M. Kohda, and J. Nitta, “Enhancement of spin lifetime in gate-Fitted InGaAs Narrow wires,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, no. 22, Article ID 226601, 2009.
- A. W. Holleitner, V. Sih, R. C. Myers, A. C. Gossard, and D. D. Awschalom, “Dimensionally constrained D'yakonov–Perel' spin relaxation in n-InGaAs channels: transition from 2D to 1D,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 9, article 342, 2007.
- A. G. Mal'shukov and K. A. Chao, “Waveguide diffusion modes and slowdown of D'yakonov-Perel' spin relaxation in narrow two-dimensional semiconductor channels,” Physical Review B, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. R2413–R2416, 2000.