- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 376940, 8 pages
Zinc-Salt-Mediated Synthesis, Growth Kinetic, and Shaped Evolution of Silver Nanoparticles
1Department of Chemistry, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
2Center for Energy Research and Development, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
3Nanosciences Laboratories, Materials Research Department, iThemba LABS, Somerset West 7129, South Africa
4National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure, Idu Industrial Area, Abuja, Nigeria
5Department of Physics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
Received 12 August 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editors: N. R. Jana and S.-H. Kim
Copyright © 2012 E. O. Dare et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Lieber, “Nanoscale science and technology: building a big future from small things,” MRS Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 486–491, 2003.
- M. P. Pileni, “Magnetic fluids: fabrication, magnetic properties, and organization of nanocrystals,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 323–336, 2001.
- S. Nie and S. R. Emory, “Probing single molecules and single nanoparticles by surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Science, vol. 275, no. 5303, pp. 1102–1106, 1997.
- P. V. Kamat, “Photophysical, photochemical and photocatalytic aspects of metal nanoparticles,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 32, pp. 7729–7744, 2002.
- Y. Sun, Y. Yin, B. T. Mayers, T. Herricks, and Y. Xia, “Uniform silver nanowires synthesis by reducing AgNO3 with ethylene glycol in the presence of seeds and poly(vinyl pyrrolidone),” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 4736–4745, 2002.
- D. Zhang, J. Yang, J. Ma, H. Cheng, and L. Huang, “Wet chemical synthesis of silver nanowire thin films at ambient temperature,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 872–876, 2004.
- L. Suber, I. Sondi, E. Matijević, and D. V. Goia, “Preparation and the mechanisms of formation of silver particles of different morphologies in homogeneous solutions,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 288, no. 2, pp. 489–495, 2005.
- D. Kim, S. Jeong, and J. Moon, “Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using the polyol process and the influence of precursor injection,” Nanotechnology, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 4019–4024, 2006.
- L. M. Liz-Marzan and A. P. Philipse, “Stable hydrosols of metallic and bimetallic nanoparticles immobilized on imogolite fibers,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 99, no. 41, pp. 15120–15128, 1995.
- M. Jin, X. Zhang, S. Nishimoto et al., “Large-scale fabrication of Ag nanoparticles in PVP nanofibres and net-like silver nanofibre films by electrospinning,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 7, Article ID 075605, 2007.
- A. R. Siekkinen, J. M. McLellan, J. Chen, and Y. Xia, “Rapid synthesis of small silver nanocubes by mediating polyol reduction with a trace amount of sodium sulfide or sodium hydrosulfide,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 432, no. 4–6, pp. 491–496, 2006.
- J. Zhu, C. Kan, X. Zhu et al., “Synthesis of perfect silver nanocubes by a simple polyol process,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1479–1485, 2007.
- S. Chen and D. L. Carroll, “Synthesis and characterization of truncated triangular silver nanoplates,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 1003–1007, 2002.
- A. Callegari, D. Tonti, and M. Chergui, “Photochemically grown silver nanoparticles with wavelength-controlled size and shape,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1565–1568, 2003.
- S. H. Liou, S. Huang, E. Klimek, R. D. Kirby, and Y. D. Yao, “Enhancement of coercivity in nanometer-size CoPt crystallites,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 4334–4336, 1999.
- I. Srnova-Sloufova, F. Lednicky, A. Gemperle, and J. Gemperlova, “Core-shell (Ag)Au bimetallic nanoparticles: analysis of transmission electron microscopy images,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 25, pp. 9928–9935, 2000.
- M. P. Mallin and C. J. Murphy, “Solution-phase synthesis of sub-10 nm Au-Ag alloy nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1235–1237, 2002.
- N. Sandhyarani and T. Pradeep, “Crystalline solids of alloy clusters,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1755–1761, 2000.
- D.-H. Chen and C.-J. Chen, “Formation and characterization of Au-Ag bimetallic nanoparticles in water-in-oil microemulsions,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 12, pp. 1557–1562, 2002.
- P. B. Joshi, V. J. Rao, B. R. Rehani, and A. Pratap, “Silver-zinc oxide electrical contact materials by mechanochemical synthesis route,” Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Physics, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2007.
- M. S. Park, T.-H. Lim, T. -M Jeon, J.-G. Kim, and M. S. Gong, “Preparation of new polyelectrolyte/silver nanocomposites and their humidity-sensitive properties,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 308–313, 2008.
- B. Wiley, Y. Sun, and Y. Xia, “Polyol synthesis of silver nanostructures: control of product morphology with Fe(II) or Fe(III) Species,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 8077–8080, 2005.
- Y. Xia, “One-dimensional nanostructures: synthesis, characterization, and applications,” Advanced Materials, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 353–389, 2003.
- C. Ducamp-Sanguesa, R. Herrera-Urbina, and M. Figlarz, “Synthesis and characterization of fine and monodisperse silver particles of uniform shape,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 272–280, 1992.
- J. Mullin, Crystallization, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- L. D. Marks, “Experimental studies of small particle structures,” Reports on Progress in Physics, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 603–649, 1994.
- Y. Sun, B. Mayers, T. Herricks, and Y. Xia, “Polyol synthesis of uniform silver nanowires: a plausible growth mechanism and the supporting evidence,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 955–960, 2003.
- X. L. Tang, M. Tsuji, M. Nishio, and P. Jiang, “Roles of chloride anions in the shape evolution of anisotropic silver nanostructures in poly(vinylpyrrolidone) (PVP)-assisted polyol process,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1304–1312, 2009.
- Z. L. Wang, T. S. Ahmad, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Steps, ledges and kinks on the surfaces of platinum nanoparticles of different shapes,” Surface Science, vol. 380, no. 2-3, pp. 302–310, 1997.
- P. R. Sajanlal, T. S. Sreeprasad, A. K. Samal, and T. Pradeep, “Anisotropic nanomaterials: structure, growth, assembly, and functions,” Nano Reviews, vol. 2, p. 5883, 2011.
- E. Braun, Y. Eichen, U. Sivan, and G. Ben-Yoseph, “DNA-templated assembly and electrode attachment of a conducting silver wire,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6669, pp. 775–778, 1998.
- K. E. Korte, S. E. Skrabalak, and Y. Xia, “Rapid synthesis of silver nanowires through a CuCl- or CuCl2-mediated polyol process,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 18, pp. 437–441, 2008.
- T. Itakura, K. Torigoe, and K. Esumi, “Preparation and characterization of ultrafine metal particles in ethanol by UV irradiation using a photoinitiator,” Langmuir, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 4129–4134, 1995.
- M. A. El-Sayed, “Some Interesting properties of metals confined in time and nanometer space of different shapes,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 257–264, 2001.
- S. Link, M. B. Mohamed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Simulation of the optical absorption spectra of gold nanorods as a function of their aspect ratio and the effect of the medium dielectric constant,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 16, pp. 3073–3077, 1999.