- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 365438, 6 pages
Nanosilver Application in Dental Cements
1Department of Prevention and Oral Rehabilitation, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Goiás, 74605220 Goiânia, GO, Brazil
2Department of Oral Science, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Goiás, 74605220 Goiânia, GO, Brazil
3Physics Institute, Federal University of Goiás, 74001970 Goiânia, GO, Brazil
Received 19 April 2012; Accepted 20 June 2012
Academic Editors: P. O. Käll, P. Melinon, T. Pal, and T. I. Shabatina
Copyright © 2012 Ana Paula Rodrigues Magalhães et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. Whittaker, C. M. Klier, and P. E. Kolenbrander, “Mechanisms of adhesion by oral bacteria,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 50, pp. 513–552, 1996.
- C. Estrela, G. B. Sydney, J. A. P. Figueiredo, and C. R. De Araújo Estrela, “A model system to study antimicrobial strategies in endodontic biofilms,” Journal of Applied Oral Science, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 87–91, 2009.
- D. R. Monteiro, L. F. Gorup, A. S. Takamiya, A. C. Ruvollo-Filho, E. R. D. Camargo, and D. B. Barbosa, “The growing importance of materials that prevent microbial adhesion: antimicrobial effect of medical devices containing silver,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 103–110, 2009.
- R. P. Allaker, “Critical review in oral biology & medicine: the use of nanoparticles to control oral biofilm formation,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1175–1186, 2010.
- R. Bürgers, A. Eidt, R. Frankenberger et al., “The anti-adherence activity and bactericidal effect of microparticulate silver additives in composite resin materials,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 595–601, 2009.
- S. Saku, H. Kotake, R. J. Scougall-Vilchis et al., “Antibacterial activity of composite resin with glass-ionomer filler particles,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 193–198, 2010.
- P. Daugela, R. Oziunas, and G. Zekonis, “Antibacterial potential of contemporary dental luting cements,” Stomatologija, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 16–21, 2008.
- H. Zhang, Y. Shen, N. D. Ruse, and M. Haapasalo, “Antibacterial activity of endodontic sealers by modified direct contact test against Enterococcus faecalis,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1051–1055, 2009.
- A. M. de Queiroz, P. Nelson-Filho, L. A. B. da Silva, S. Assed, R. A. B. da Silva, and Y. I. Izabel, “Antibacterial activity of root canal filling materials for primary teeth: zinc oxide and eugenol cement, calen paste thickened with zinc oxide, sealapex and EndoREZ,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 290–296, 2009.
- D. Xie, Y. Weng, X. Guo, J. Zhao, R. L. Gregory, and C. Zheng, “Preparation and evaluation of a novel glass-ionomer cement with antibacterial functions,” Dental Materials, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 487–496, 2011.
- S. J. Ahn, S. J. Lee, J. K. Kook, and B. S. Lim, “Experimental antimicrobial orthodontic adhesives using nanofillers and silver nanoparticles,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 206–213, 2009.
- L. Sintubin, B. De Gusseme, P. Van Der Meeren, B. F. G. Pycke, W. Verstraete, and N. Boon, “The antibacterial activity of biogenic silver and its mode of action,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 153–162, 2011.
- J. Durner, M. Stojanovic, E. Urcan, R. Hickel, and F. X. Reichl, “Influence of silver nano-particles on monomer elution from light-cured composites,” Dental Materials, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 631–636, 2011.
- Q. Bao, D. Zhang, and P. Qi, “Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticle and graphene oxide nanosheet composites as a bactericidal agent for water disinfection,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 360, no. 2, pp. 463–470, 2011.
- K. Chaloupka, Y. Malam, and A. M. Seifalian, “Nanosilver as a new generation of nanoproduct in biomedical applications,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 580–588, 2010.
- T. A. Dankovich and D. G. Gray, “Bactericidal paper impregnated with silver nanoparticles for point-of-use water treatment,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1992–1998, 2011.
- D. Gangadharan, K. Harshvardan, G. Gnanasekar, D. Dixit, K. M. Popat, and P. S. Anand, “Polymeric microspheres containing silver nanoparticles as a bactericidal agent for water disinfection,” Water Research, vol. 44, no. 18, pp. 5481–5487, 2010.
- K. Nam, “In vitro antimicrobial effect of the tissue conditioner containing silver nanoparticles,” Journal of Advanced Prosthodontics, vol. 3, pp. 20–24, 2011.
- A. Kurek, A. M. Grudniak, A. Kraczkiewicz-Dowjat, and K. I. Wolska, “New antibacterial therapeutics and strategies,” Polish Journal of Microbiology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2011.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- M. E. Samberg, P. E. Orndorff, and N. A. Monteiro-Riviere, “Antibacterial efficacy of silver nanoparticles of different sizes, surface conditions and synthesis methods,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 244–253, 2011.
- A. B. Lansdown, “Silver. I: its antibacterial properties and mechanism of action,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 125–130, 2002.
- K. Yoshida, M. Tanagawa, S. Matsumoto, T. Yamada, and M. Atsuta, “Antibacterial activity of resin composites with silver-containing materials,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 290–296, 1999.
- C. Cinar, T. Ulusu, B. Ozçelik, N. Karamüftüoğlu, and H. Yücel, “Antibacterial effect of silver-zeolite containing root-canal filling material,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part B, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 592–595, 2009.
- M. E. Odabaş, C. Cinar, G. Akça, I. Araz, T. Ulusu, and H. Yücel, “Short-term antimicrobial properties of mineral trioxide aggregate with incorporated silver-zeolite,” Dental Traumatology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 189–194, 2011.
- K. D. Secinti, H. Özalp, A. Attar, and M. F. Sargon, “Nanoparticle silver ion coatings inhibit biofilm formation on titanium implants,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 391–395, 2011.
- C. N. Lok, C. M. Ho, R. Chen et al., “Silver nanoparticles: partial oxidation and antibacterial activities,” Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 527–534, 2007.
- K. Yamamoto, S. Ohashi, M. Aono, T. Kokubo, I. Yamada, and J. Yamauchi, “Antibacterial activity of silver ions implanted in SiO2 filler on oral streptococci,” Dental Materials, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 227–229, 1996.
- F. Mirzajani, A. Ghassempour, A. Aliahmadi, and M. A. Esmaeili, “Antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles on Staphylococcus aureus,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 162, no. 5, pp. 542–549, 2011.
- C. Estrela, L. L. Bammann, C. R. Estrela, R. S. Silva, and J. D. Pécora, “Antimicrobial and chemical study of MTA, Portland cement, calcium hydroxide paste, Sealapex and Dycal,” Brazilian Dental jJournal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2000.
- M. R. Leonardo, L. A. B. Da Silva, M. Tanomaru Filho, K. C. Bonifácio, and I. Y. Ito, “In vitro evaluation of antimicrobial activity of sealers and pastes used in endodontics,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 391–394, 2000.
- M. Tagger, E. Tagger, and A. Kfir, “Release of calcium and hydroxyl ions from set endodontic sealers containing calcium hydroxide,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 588–591, 1988.
- D. A. Cowart, S. M. Guida, S. Ismat Shah, and A. G. Marsh, “Effects of Ag nanoparticles on survival and oxygen consumption of zebra fish embryos, Danio rerio,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health—Part A, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1122–1128, 2011.
- M. Korani, S. M. Rezayat, K. Gilani, S. Arbabi Bidgoli, and S. Adeli, “Acute and subchronic dermal toxicity of nanosilver in guinea pig,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 855–862, 2011.
- K. Bilberg, M. B. Hovgaard, F. Besenbacher, and E. Baatrup, “In vivo toxicity of silver nanoparticles and silver ions in zebrafish (Danio rerio),” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 2012, Article ID 293784, 9 pages, 2012.
- T. M. Gerzina and W. R. Hume, “Effect of hydrostatic pressure on the diffusion of monomers through dentin in vitro,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 369–373, 1995.