- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 924081, 9 pages
Integrating Dense Array EEG in the Presurgical Evaluation of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
1Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Seirei Hamamatsu General Hospital, 2-12-12 Sumiyoshi, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu,
Shizuoka 4308558, Japan
2Electrical Geodesics, Inc., Eugene, OR 97403, USA
3Department of Psychology, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Received 6 September 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editors: A. Martinuzzi and P. G. Simos
Copyright © 2012 Madoka Yamazaki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. A. Hauser, S. S. Rich, J. F. Annegers, and V. E. Anderson, “Seizure recurrence after a 1st unprovoked seizure: an extended follow-up,” Neurology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1163–1170, 1990.
- J. Engel, “Surgical treatment for epilepsy: too little, too late?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 300, no. 21, pp. 2548–2550, 2008.
- F. Semah, M. C. Picot, C. Adam et al., “Is the underlying cause of epilepsy a major prognostic factor for recurrence?” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1256–1262, 1998.
- S. R. Benbadis, W. O. Tatum, and F. L. Vale, “When drugs don't work: an algorithmic approach to medically intractable epilepsy,” Neurology, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1780–1784, 2000.
- J. Engel Jr. and D. A. Shewmon, “Overview: who should be considered a surgical candidate?” in Surgical Treatment of the Epilepsies, J. Engel, Ed., pp. 23–34, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1993.
- P. Kwan and M. J. Brodie, “Early identification of refractory epilepsy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 5, pp. 314–319, 2000.
- S. Wiebe, W. T. Blume, J. P. Girvin, and M. Eliasziw, “A randomized, controlled trial of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 5, pp. 311–318, 2001.
- J. Janszky, I. Janszky, R. Schulz et al., “Temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis: predictors for long-term surgical outcome,” Brain, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 395–404, 2005.
- D. Schmidt and K. Stavem, “Long-term seizure outcome of surgery versus no surgery for drug-resistant partial epilepsy: a review of controlled studies,” Epilepsia, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1301–1309, 2009.
- J. Engel, “The timing of surgical intervention for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy: a plan for a randomized clinical trial,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1338–1341, 1999.
- M. R. Sperling and L. Guina, “The necessity for sphenoidal electrodes in the presurgical evaluation of temporal lobe epilepsy: pro position,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 299–304, 2003.
- R. G. D. P. Menendez, S. G. Andino, G. Lantz, C. M. Michel, and T. Landis, “Noninvasive localization of electromagnetic epileptic activity. I. Method descriptions and simulations,” Brain Topography, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2001.
- R. G. D. P. Menendez, M. M. Murray, C. M. Michel, R. Martuzzi, and S. L. Gonzalez Andino, “Electrical neuroimaging based on biophysical constraints,” NeuroImage, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 527–539, 2004.
- M. Yamazaki, D. M. Tucker, A. Fujimoto et al., “Comparison of dense array EEG with simultaneous intracranial EEG for Interictal spike detection and localization,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 98, no. 2-3, pp. 166–173, 2012.
- C. M. Michel and M. M. Murray, “Towards the utilization of EEG as a brain imaging tool,” NeuroImage, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 371–385, 2012.
- M. D. Holmes, D. M. Tucker, J. M. Quiring, S. Hakimian, J. W. Miller, and J. G. Ojemann, “Comparing noninvasive dense array and intracranial electroencephalography for localization of seizures,” Neurosurgery, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 354–362, 2010.
- R. D. Pascual-Marqui, M. Esslen, K. Kochi, and D. Lehmann, “Functional imaging with low-resolution brain electromagnetic tomography (LORETA): a review,” Methods and Findings in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 24, pp. 91–95, 2002.
- G. Lantz, R. Grave de Peralta, L. Spinelli, M. Seeck, and C. M. Michel, “Epileptic source localization with high density EEG: how many electrodes are needed?” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2003.
- G. Lantz, L. Spinelli, M. Seeck, R. G. De Peralta Menendez, C. C. Sottas, and C. M. Michel, “Propagation of interictalepileptiform activity can lead to erroneous source localizations: a 128-channel EEG mapping study,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 311–319, 2003.
- D. P. Jones, “Recording of the basal electroencephalogram with sphenoidal needle electrodes,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 3, abstract, p. 100, 1951.
- G. Pampiglione and J. Kerridge, “EEG abnormalities from the temporal lobe studied with sphenoidal electrodes,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 19, pp. 117–129, 1956.
- O. Kristensen and E. H. Sindrup, “Sphenoidal electrodes. Their use and value in the electroencephalographic investigation of complex partial epilepsy,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 157–166, 1978.
- D. A. Marks, A. Katz, J. Brooke, D. D. Spencer, and S. S. Spencer, “Comparison and correlation of surface and sphenoidal electrodes with simultaneous intracranial recording: an interictal study,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 1992.
- A. M. Kanner, L. Ramirez, and J. C. Jones, “The utility of placing sphenoidal electrodes under the foramen ovale with fluoroscopic guidance,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 72–81, 1995.
- H. Yoshinaga, J. Hattori, T. Nakahori et al., “Combined use of sphenoidal electrodes and the dipole localization method for the identification of the mesial temporal focus,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2001.
- M. B. Hamaneh, C. Limotai, and H. O. Lüders, “Sphenoidal electrodes significantly change the results of source localization of interictal spikes for a large percentage of patients with temporal lobe epilepsy,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 373–379, 2011.
- R. W. Homan, M. C. Jones, and S. Rawat, “Anterior temporal electrodes in complex partial seizures,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 105–109, 1988.
- B. M. Ito, S. Sato, O. Devinsky, and W. Theodore, “Sphenoidal versus true anterior temporal electrodes for detection of epileptiform discharges,” Neurology, vol. 38, supplement 1, p. 234, 1988.
- C. D. Binnie, D. Marston, C. E. Polkey, and D. Amin, “Distribution of temporal spikes in relation to the sphenoidal electrode,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 403–409, 1989.
- N. S. Chu, C. L. Wu, T. S. Tseng, and L. L. Kuo, “Sphenoidal EEG recording using acupuncture needle electrode in complex partial seizure,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 119–126, 1991.
- W. T. Blume, “The necessity for sphenoidal electrodes in the presurgical evaluation of temporal lobe epilepsy: con position,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 305–310, 2003.
- V. Brodbeck, L. Spinelli, A. M. Lascano et al., “Electroencephalographic source imaging: a prospective study of 152 operated epileptic patients,” Brain, vol. 134, no. 10, pp. 2887–2897, 2011.
- T. F. Oostendorp, J. Delbeke, and D. F. Stegeman, “The conductivity of the human skull: results of in vivo and in vitro measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1487–1492, 2000.
- J. A. Malmivuo and V. E. Suihko, “Effect of skull resistivity on the spatial resolutions of EEG and MEG,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1276–1280, 2004.
- N. Mikuni, T. Nagamine, A. Ikeda et al., “Simultaneous recording of epileptiform discharges by MEG and subdural electrodes in temporal lobe epilepsy,” NeuroImage, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 298–306, 1997.
- M. Oishi, H. Otsubo, S. Kameyama et al., “Epileptic spikes: magnetoencephalography versus simultaneous electrocorticography,” Epilepsia, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1390–1395, 2002.
- G. Huiskamp, Z. Agirre-Arrizubieta, and F. Leijten, “Regional differences in the sensitivity of MEG for interictal spikes in epilepsy,” Brain Topography, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 2010.