- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 402157, 6 pages
Burnout among Nurses in a Nigerian General Hospital: Prevalence and Associated Factors
1Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, P.O. Box 31395, Ibadan, Nigeria
2Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, PMB 5116, Ibadan, Nigeria
Received 29 December 2011; Accepted 29 January 2012
Academic Editor: M. Estryn-Behar
Copyright © 2012 Victor Olufolahan Lasebikan and Modupe Olusola Oyetunde. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. J. Freudenberger, “Staff burnout,” Journal of Social Issues, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 159–165, 1974.
- C. Maslach and S. Jackson, Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual, Consulting Psychologists Press, Mountain View, Calif, USA, 1996.
- V. A. Lambert, C. E. Lambert, and M. Ito, “Workplace stressors, ways of coping and demographic characteristics as predictors of physical and mental health of Japanese hospital nurses,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 85–97, 2004.
- R. Jenkins and P. Elliott, “Stressors, burnout and social support: nurses in acute mental health settings,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 622–631, 2004.
- D. Edwards, P. Burnard, B. Hannigan et al., “Clinical supervision and burnout: the influence of clinical supervision for community mental health nurses,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1007–1015, 2006.
- R. Vimantaite and A. Seskevicius, “The burnout syndrome among nurses working in Lithuanian cardiac surgery centers,” Medicina, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 600–605, 2006.
- S. Stordeur, W. D'hoore, and C. Vandenberghe, “Leadership, organizational stress, and emotional exhaustion among hospital nursing staff,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 533–542, 2001.
- B Kingdom and F. Halovorsen, “Peri-operative nurses' perceptions of stress in the workplace,” AORN Journal, 2008, http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FSL/is_4_84/ai_n27015570/.
- J. D. McCue, “The effects of stress of physicians and their medical practice,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 306, no. 8, pp. 458–463, 1982.
- T. D. Shanafelt, K. A. Bradley, J. E. Wipf, and A. L. Back, “Burnout and self-reported patient care in an internal medicine residency program,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 136, no. 5, pp. 358–367, 2002.
- R. F. AbuAlRub, “Job stress, job performance, and social support among hospital nurses,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2004.
- Ruaf Foundation, Ibadan, 2010, http://www.ruaf.org/.
- D. Goldberg and P. Williams, Users Guide to the General Health Questionnaire, NFER-NELSON, London, UK, 1988.
- C Maslach, S. E. Jackson, and M. P. Leiter, Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, 3rd edition, 1996.
- O. A. Coker and P. F. Omoluabi, “Validation of maslach burnout inventory,” IFE Psychologia, vol. 17, article 1, 2009.
- Statistical Package for Social Studies, SPSS, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2011.
- R. Quatrrin, A. Zaanni, E. Nascig, and M. Annunciate, “Level of Burnout among nurses working in Oncology in an Italian region,” Oncology Nursing Forum, vol. 33, no. 40, pp. 815–820, 2006.
- J. Firth-Cozens, “Sources of stress in women junior house officers,” British Medical Journal, vol. 301, no. 6743, pp. 89–91, 1990.
- M. Estryn-Béhar, B. I. J. M. van der Heijden, H. Ogiñska et al., “The impact of social work environment, teamwork characteristics, burnout, and personal factors upon intent to leave among European nurses,” Medical Care, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 939–950, 2007.
- R. Hader, “Workplace Violence Survey 2008. Unsettling findings: employees safety isn't the norm in our healthcare settings,” Nursing Management, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 13–19, 2008.
- S. L. Johnson and R. E. Rea, “Workplace bullying: concerns for nurse leaders,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 84–90, 2009.
- N. K. Thomas, “Resident burnout,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 23, pp. 2880–2889, 2004.
- J. L. Stehle, “Critical care nursing stress: the findings revisited,” Nursing Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 182–186, 1981.
- C. Maslach, W. B. Schaufeli, and M. P. Leiter, “Job burnout,” Annual Review of Psychology, vol. 52, pp. 397–422, 2001.
- R. Gopal, J. J. Glasheen, T. J. Miyoshi, and A. V. Prochazka, “Burnout and internal medicine resident work-hour restrictions,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 22, pp. 2595–2600, 2005.
- F. H. Decker, “Occupational and nonoccupational factors in Job satisfaction and psychological distress among nurses,” Research in Nursing and Health, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 453–464, 1997.
- M. Elovainio and M. Kivimäki, “Occupational stresses, goal clarity, control, and strain among nurses in the finnish health care system,” Research in Nursing and Health, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 517–524, 1996.
- V. Lee and M. C. Henderson, “Occupational stress and organizational commitment in nurse administrators,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 21–28, 1996.
- A. E. Dembe, “Ethical issues relating to the health effects of long working hours,” Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 84, supplement 2, pp. 195–208, 2009.
- E. Scott, “The origins of burnout,” 2006, http://stress.about.com/bio/elizabeth-scott-m-s17577.htm.
- Y. Q. Gao, B. C. Pan, and W. Sun, “Depressive symptoms among Chinese nurses: prevalence and the associated factors,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 468–474, 2011.
- M. L. Hseish, Y. M. Li, and E. T. Channg, “Sleep disorder in Taiwan Nurses: a random sample survey,” Nursing & Health Sciences, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 468–474, 2011.