- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 645828, 5 pages
Iranian Nurses’ Attitudes and Perception towards Patient Advocacy
1Razi School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman 7616913555, Iran
2School of Nursing and Midwifery, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 1981619573, Iran
Received 16 November 2012; Accepted 10 December 2012
Academic Editors: V. Lohne, V. Swallow, and D. Whitehead
Copyright © 2012 Mohadeseh Motamed-Jahromi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. H. Hem and K. Heggen, “Is compassion essential to nursing practice?” Contemporary Nurse, vol. 17, no. 1-2, pp. 19–31, 2004.
- J. Snowball, “Asking nurses about advocating for patients: reactive and proactive accounts,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 1996.
- C. Webb, “The nurse advocate: speaking up for advocacy,” Nursing Times, vol. 83, no. 34, pp. 33–35, 1987.
- K. Schroeter, “Advocacy in perioperative nursing practice,” AORN Journal, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1207–1223, 2000.
- M. F. Kohnke, “Advocacy: risk and reality,” Mosby, 1982.
- M. A. Baldwin, “Patient advocacy: a concept analysis,” Nursing Standard, vol. 17, no. 21, pp. 33–39, 2003.
- E. L. Mitty, “The nurse as advocate. Issues in LTC,” Nursing & Health Care, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 520–523, 1991.
- N. Malin and K. Teasdale, “Caring versus empowerment: considerations for nursing practice,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 657–662, 1991.
- S. McDonald and K. Ahern, “The professional consequences of whistleblowing by nurses,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 313–321, 2000.
- I. H. Curtin, “The nurse as advocate: a philosophical foundation for nursing,” Advances in Nursing Science, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1–10, 1979.
- S. Gadow, “Existential advocacy: philosophical foundations of nursing,” NLN Publications, no. 20-2294, pp. 41–51, 1990.
- E. L. Bandman and B. Bandman, Nursing Ethics Through the Life Span, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2002.
- M. Mallik, “Advocacy in nursing—a review of the literature,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 130–138, 1997.
- D. Hyland, “An exploration of the relationship between patient autonomy and patient advocacy: implications for nursing practice,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 472–482, 2002.
- H. Vaartio, Nursing advocacy: a concept clarification in context of procedural pain care [Doctoral dissertation], 2008.
- S. M. Ryles, “A concept analysis of empowerment: its relationship to mental health nursing,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 600–607, 1999.
- L. Kuokkanen and H. Leino-Kilpi, “Power and empowerment in nursing: three theoretical approaches,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 235–241, 2000.
- E. E. Smith and S. Nolen-Hocksema, Atkinson and Hilgards's Introduction to Psychology, Thomson, Belmont, Calif, USA, 2004.
- A. Rital, Introduction to Psychology, Oxford and IBH Publishing, Delhi, India, 1975.
- J. Hinson Penticuff, “Infant suffering and nurse advocacy in neonatal intensive care,” Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 987–997, 1989.
- S. C. Sellin, “Out on a limb: a qualitative study of patient advocacy in institutional nursing,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 1995.
- R. G. Hanks, “The medical-surgical nurse perspective of advocate role,” Nursing Forum, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 97–107, 2010.
- R. Negarandeh, F. Oskouie, F. Ahmadi, and M. Nikravesh, “The meaning of patient advocacy for Iranian nurses,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 457–467, 2008.
- S. E. Barrett-Sheridan, A Quantitative Correlational Study of Political Behavior and Attitudes of Nurses Toward Macro-Social Patient Advocacy, [D.H.A.], University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Ariz, USA, 2009.
- R. G. Hanks, “Protective Nursing Advocacy Scale,” 2008.
- K. S. Thacker, “Nurses' advocacy behaviors in end-of-life nursing care,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 174–185, 2008.
- T. D. O. Adewuyi and E. A. Akinade, “Perception and attitudes of Nigerian women towards menopause,” in Proceedings of World Conference on Psychology, Counselling and Guidance (WCPCG '10), pp. 1777–1782, Antalya, Turkey, April 2010.
- T. D. O. Adewuyi, Effect of rational emotive behavioural and reality therapies on attitude of federal teachers towards retirement [Unpublished Ph.D. thesis], Department of Guidance and Counselling, Faculty of Education, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara.
- K. A. Boutell and F. W. Bozett, “Nurses' assessment of patients' spirituality: continuing education implications,” Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 172–176, 1990.