- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 782626, 7 pages
Predictors' Factors of Nutritional Status of Male Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients
1Dietetic Programme, Department of Nursing and Midwifery, Abadan Faculty of Medical Health Sciences, Ahwaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahwaz 6135715794, Iran
2Dietetic Programme, Center for Health Care Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, National University of Malaysia, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology Medical School, Ahwaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahwaz 6135715794, Iran
4Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ahwaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahwaz 6135715794, Iran
5Biomedical Programme, Faculty of Health Sciences, National University of Malaysia, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
6Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Malaysia, 56000 Cheras, Malaysia
Received 29 August 2012; Accepted 8 October 2012
Academic Editors: K. Clark, A. Green, and K. Murphy
Copyright © 2012 Elham Pirabbasi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Thoracic Society, “Standard for the diagnosis and management of patients with COPD,” New York, NY, USA, American Thoracic Society, 2004.
- W. MacNee, “Treatment of stable COPD: antioxidants,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 14, no. 94, pp. 12–22, 2005.
- M. P. K. J. Engelen, A. M. W. J. Schols, W. C. Baken, G. J. Wesseling, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Nutritional depletion in relation to respiratory and peripheral skeletal muscle function in out-patients with COPD,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 1793–1797, 1994.
- M. P. K. J. Engelen, A. M. W. J. Schols, R. J. S. Lamers, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Different patterns of chronic tissue wasting among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 275–280, 1999.
- E. P. A. Rutten, F. M. E. Franssen, M. P. K. J. Engelen, E. F. M. Wouters, N. E. P. Deutz, and A. M. W. J. Schols, “Greater whole-body myofibrillar protein breakdown in cachectic patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 829–834, 2006.
- E. M. Baarends, A. M. W. J. Schols, D. L. E. Pannemans, K. R. Westerterp, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Total free living energy expenditure in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 549–554, 1997.
- R. Debigaré, F. Maltais, and C. H. Côté, “Peripheral muscle wasting in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: clinical relevance and mechanisms,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 164, no. 9, pp. 1712–1717, 2001.
- S. A. R. Paiva, A. O. Campana, and I. Godoy, “Nutrition support for the patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Nutrition in Clinical Care, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2000.
- B. H. Hazlin, Penilaian status pemakanan dan status fungsi di kalangan pesakit luar penyakit pulmonary obstruktif kronik (COPD) di hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia [M.S. thesis], Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 2007.
- L. Kish, Survey Sampling, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, International Standard for Anthropometric Assessment (ISAK), National Library of Australia, 1st edition, 2001.
- R. D. Lee and D. C. Nieman, Nutritional Assessment, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2007.
- T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorell, Eds., Anthropomeric Standardization Reference Manual, Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Servey (NHANES III), Body measurements (Anthropometry). Westat, Inc. 1650 Research Boulevard Rockville, Md, USA, 20850 (301) 251–1500, 1988.
- E. S. Tee and S. C. Khor, “Simultaneous determination of retinol, carotenoids and tocopherol in human serum by high pressure liquid chromatography,” Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 1, pp. 151–170, 1995.
- B. Zhao, S. Y. Tham, J. Lu, M. H. Lai, L. K. H. Lee, and S. M. Moochhala, “Simultaneous determination of vitamins C, E and β-carotene in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode-array detection,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 200–204, 2004.
- I. F. F. Benzie and J. J. Strain, “Ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay: direct measure of total antioxidant activity of biological fluids and modified version for simultaneous measurement of total antioxidant power and ascorbic acid concentration,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 299, pp. 15–27, 1998.
- T. B. VanItallie, M.-U. Yang, S. B. Heymsfield, R. C. Funk, and R. A. Boileau, “Height-normalized indices of the body's fat-free mass and fat mass: potentially useful indicators of nutritional status,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 953–959, 1990.
- National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition (NCCFN), Ministry of Health Malaysia, Recommended Nutrient Intake for Malaysia: A report of the Technical Working Group on Nutritional Guidelines, 2005.
- A. M. W. J. Schols, P. B. Soeters, A. M. C. Dingemans, R. Mostert, P. J. Frantzen, and E. F. M. Wouters, “Prevalence and characteristics of nutritional depletion in patients with stable COPD eligible for pulmonary rehabilitation,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 147, no. 5, pp. 1151–1156, 1993.
- M. A. P. Vermeeren, E. C. Creutzberg, A. M. W. J. Schols et al., “Prevalence of nutritional depletion in a large out-patient population of patients with COPD,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 1349–1355, 2006.
- I. M. Ferreira, D. Brooks, Y. Lacasse, and R. S. Goldstein, “Nutritional support for individuals with COPD: a meta-analysis,” Chest, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 672–678, 2000.
- J. J. Soler, L. Sánchez, P. Román, M. A. Martínez, and M. Perpiñá, “Prevalence of malnutrition in outpatients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Archivos de Bronconeumologia, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 250–258, 2004.
- Y. M. Yang, T. Y. Sun, and X. M. Liu, “The role of serum leptin and tumor necrosis factor-α in malnutrition of male chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 628–633, 2006.
- S. R. Braun, N. L. Keim, R. M. Dixon, et al., “The prevalence and determinants of nutritional changes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Chest, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 558–563, 1984.
- R. Hallin, U. K. Koivisto-Hursti, E. Lindberg, and C. Janson, “Nutritional status, dietary energy intake and the risk of exacerbations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD),” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 561–567, 2006.
- A. R. Suriah, M. J. Zainorni, S. Shafawi et al., “Nutrient intake among elderly in Southern Peninsular Malaysia,” Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 2, pp. 11–19, 1996.
- S. Shahar, Z. Ibrahim, A. R. A. Fatah et al., “A multidimensional assessment of nutritional and health status of rural elderly Malays,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 346–353, 2007.
- C. Landbo, E. Prescott, P. Lange, J. Vestbo, and T. P. Almdal, “Prognostic value of nutritional status in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 160, no. 6, pp. 1856–1861, 1999.
- S. Odencrants, M. Ehnfors, and S. J. Grobe, “Living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): part II. RNs' experience of nursing care for patients with COPD and impaired nutritional status,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2007.