- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 806543, 9 pages
Perceived Barriers to Success for Minority Nursing Students: An Integrative Review
1Department of Nursing, West Texas A&M University, Canyon, TX 79016, USA
2College of Nursing, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
3College of Nursing, University of Texas, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
Received 7 March 2012; Accepted 1 April 2012
Academic Editors: S. Keeney and B. Roberts
Copyright © 2012 Collette Loftin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- America.gov, U.S. minority population continues to grow, 2010, http://www.america.gov/st/diversity-english/2008/May/20080513175840zjsredna0.1815607.html.
- National League for Nursing, Public policy agenda for 2009-2010, 2010, http://www.nln.org/governmentaffairs/pdf/public_policy.pdf.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, The institute of medicine committee on institutional and policy-level strategies for increasing the diversity of the U.S. health care workforce, 2009, http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Government/Testimony/BednashTestimony.htm.
- Institute of Medicine, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, 2011, http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12956.
- American Nurses Association, Statement of the American nurses association to the subcommittee on labor, health and human services, education and related agencies committee on appropriations United States senate, 2011, http://www.nursingworld.org/LLHS-FY2010.aspx.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, The registered nurse population, 2010, http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/rnsurveys/rnsurveyfinal.pdf.
- Institute of Medicine, Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care, 2009, http://www.iom.edU/CMS/3740/4888/l 8287.aspx.
- T. LaViest, D. Gaskin, and P. Richard, The economic burden of health inequalities in the United States, 2011, http://www.jointcenter.org/hpi/sites/all/files/Burden_Of_Health_FINAL_0.pdf.
- Sullivan Commission, The Sullivan Commission’s Report on Health Profession Diversity, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, "The future of higher education in nursing: annual report", 2011, http://www.aacn.nche.edu/IDS/pdf/EthnicityTbl.pdf.
- J. C. Taxis, “Fostering academic success of Mexican Americans in a BSN program: an educational imperative,” International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, vol. 3, no. 1, article 19, pp. 1–14, 2006.
- L. Coleman, “Experiences of African American students in a predominantly white, two-year nursing program,” Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 2008.
- J. F. Giddens, “Achieving diversity in nursing through multicontextual learning environments,” Nursing Outlook, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 78–83, 2008.
- C. W. Johnson, R. Johnson, M. Kim, and J. C. Mckee, “Personal background preparation survey for early identification of nursing students at risk for attrition,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 606–613, 2009.
- J. Mulholland, E. N. Anionwu, R. Atkins, M. Tappern, and P. J. Franks, “Diversity, attrition and transition into nursing,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 49–59, 2008.
- J. Gardner, “Understanding factors influencing foreign-born students' success in nursing school: a case study of East Indian nursing students and recommendations,” Journal of Cultural Diversity, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2005.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Nursing workforce development programs, 2010, http://www.aacn.nche.edu/government/pdf/BrochureTitleVIII.pdf.
- R. Whittemore and K. Knafl, “The integrative review: updated methodology,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 546–553, 2005.
- M. Valverde and R. Rodriguez, “Increasing Mexican American doctoral degrees: the role of institutions of higher education,” Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2002.
- M. L. Bond, J. R. Gray, S. Baxley, C. L. Cason, and L. Denke, “Voices of hispanic students in baccalaureate nursing programs: are we listening?” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 136–142, 2008.
- M. E. Conway, “The optimal environment for socialization of the nurse-scientist,” Nurse Educator, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 24–27, 1992.
- D. J. Amaro, K. Abriam-Yago, and M. Yoder, “Perceived barriers for ethnically diverse students in nursing programs,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 247–254, 2006.
- S. Sanner, A. H. Wilson, and L. F. Samson, “The experiences of international nursing students in a Baccalaureate nursing program,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 206–213, 2002.
- J. Gardner, “Barriers influencing the success of racial and ethnic minority students in nursing programs,” Journal of Transcultural Nursing, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 155–162, 2005.
- M. Rivera-Goba and S. Nieto, “Mentoring Latina nurses: a multicultural perspective,” Journal of Latinos & Education, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 35–53, 2007.
- C. Goetz, The process of becoming: a grounded theory study of Hispanic nursing student success, 2007.
- B. C. Evans, “"Attached at the umbilicus": barriers to educational success for hispanic/latino and American Indian nursing students,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 205–217, 2008.
- J. Loftus and S. Duty, “Educating ethnic minority students for the nursing workforce: facilitators and barriers to success,” Journal of National Black Nurses' Association, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2010.
- A. M. Villarruel, M. Canales, and S. Torres, “Bridges and barriers: educational mobility of Hispanic nurses,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 245–251, 2001.
- A. Perez, Experiences of Hispanic women acquiring a nursing education: Giving voice to a Mexican-American border population, 2003.
- H. N. Weaver, “Indigenous nurses and professional education: friends or foes?” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 252–258, 2001.
- N. Frances, A. Fields, and K. Garth, “You’re just shoved to the corner”. The lived experience of black nursing students being isolated and discounted—a pilot study,” Visions, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2004.
- S. Mills-Wisneski, “Minority students' perceptions concerning the presence of minority faculty: inquiry and discussion,” Journal of Multicultural Nursing & Health, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 49–55, 2005.
- J. D. Jordan, “Rethinking race and attrition in nursing programs: a hermeneutic inquiry,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 382–390, 1996.
- B. L. Elder and M. L. Koehn, “Assessment tool for nursing student computer competencies,” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 148–152, 2009.