- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 491595, 7 pages
Antenatal Corticosteroids for Late-Preterm Infants: A Decision-Analytic and Economic Analysis
1Maternal and Child Health Research Program, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Center for Research on Reproduction and Women’s Health, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
2Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 585 Dulles Building, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
3Section of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, Denver, Aurora, CO 80013, USA
4Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
5Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Rady Children’s Hospital, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
Received 20 November 2012; Accepted 11 December 2012
Academic Editors: I. Diez-Itza and C. Iavazzo
Copyright © 2012 Jamie A. Bastek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Crowley, “Antenatal corticosteroid therapy: a meta-analysis of the randomized trials, 1972 to 1994,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 322–335, 1995.
- D. Roberts and S. Dalziel, “Antenatal corticosteroids for accelerating fetal lung maturation for women at risk of preterm birth,” Cochrane Database of sSystematic Reviews, vol. 3, Article ID CD004454, 2006.
- ACOG Committee on Obstetric Practice, “ACOG committee opinion no. 475: antenatal corticosteroid therapy for fetal maturation,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 422–424, 2011.
- J. C. Hauth, “Spontaneous preterm labor and premature rupture of membranes at late preterm gestations: to deliver or not to deliver,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 98–102, 2006.
- D. Roberts, “Antenatal corticosteroids in late preterm infants,” British Medical Journal, vol. 342, Article ID d1614, 2011.
- J. A. Bastek, M. D. Sammel, E. Paré, S. K. Srinivas, M. A. Posencheg, and M. A. Elovitz, “Adverse neonatal outcomes: examining the risks between preterm, late preterm, and term infants,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 199, no. 4, pp. 367.e1–367.e8, 2008.
- J. U. Hibbard, I. Wilkins, L. Sun et al., “Respiratory morbidity in late preterm births,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 304, no. 4, pp. 419–425, 2010.
- S. Picone and P. Paolillo, “Neonatal outcomes in a population of late-preterm infants,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 23, supplement 3, pp. 116–120, 2010.
- A. T. N. Tita, M. B. Landon, C. Y. Spong et al., “Timing of elective repeat cesarean delivery at term and neonatal outcomes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 2009.
- A. M. F. Porto, I. C. Coutinho, J. B. Correia, and M. M. R. Amorim, “Effectiveness of antenatal corticosteroids in reducing respiratory disorders in late preterm infants: randomised clinical trial,” British Medical Journal, vol. 342, no. 7802, Article ID d1696, 2011.
- M. Gold, “Panel on cost-effectiveness in health and medicine,” Medical Care, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. DS197–DS199, 1996.
- N. Melamed, G. Klinger, K. Tenenbaum-Gavish et al., “Short-term neonatal outcome in low-risk, spontaneous, singleton, late preterm deliveries,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 253–260, 2009.
- P. A. Robertson, S. H. Sniderman, R. K. Laros Jr. et al., “Neonatal morbidity according to gestational age and birth weight from five tertiary care centers in the United States, 1983 through 1986,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 166, no. 6 I, pp. 1629–1645, 1992.
- C. H. Fanta, “Drug therapy: asthma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 10, pp. 1002–1014, 2009.
- K. D. Kochanek, S. E. Kirmeyer, J. A. Martin, D. M. Strobino, and B. Guyer, “Annual summary of vital statistics: 2009,” Pediatrics, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 338–348, 2012.
- S. V. Glinianaia, J. Rankin, and A. Colver, “Cerebral palsy rates by birth weight, gestation and severity in North of England, 1991–2000 singleton births,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 180–185, 2011.
- A. E. Carroll and S. M. Downs, “Improving decision analyses: parent preferences (utility values) for pediatric health outcomes,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 21.e5–25.e5, 2009.
- C. S. Phibbs and S. K. Schmitt, “Estimates of the cost and length of stay changes that can be attributed to one-week increases in gestational age for premature infants,” Early Human Development, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 85–95, 2006.
- G. S. Sawicki, Y. Vilk, M. Schatz, K. Kleinman, A. Abrams, and J. Madden, “Uncontrolled asthma in a commercially insured population from 2002 to 2007: trends, predictors, and costs,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 574–580, 2010.
- N. J. Waitzman, P. S. Romano, and R. M. Scheffler, “Estimates of the economic costs of birth defects,” Inquiry, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 188–205, 1994.
- F. P. H. A. Vandenbussche, L. C. de Jong-Potjer, A. M. Stiggelbout, S. le Cessie, and M. J. N. C. Keirse, “Differences in the valuation of birth outcomes among pregnant women, mothers, and obstetricians,” Birth, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 178–183, 1999.
- A. Chung, A. Macario, Y. Y. El-Sayed, E. T. Riley, B. Duncan, and M. L. Druzin, “Cost-effectiveness of a trial of labor after previous cesarean,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 932–941, 2001.
- E. K. Adams, B. Nishimura, R. K. Merritt, and C. Melvin, “Costs of poor birth outcomes among privately insured,” Journal of Health Care Finance, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 11–27, 2003.
- T. O. Tengs and A. Wallace, “One thousand health-related quality-of-life estimates,” Medical Care, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 583–637, 2000.
- M. F. Drummond, M. Barbieri, and J. B. Wong, “Analytic choices in economic models of treatments for rheumatoid arthritis: what makes a difference?” Medical Decision Making, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 520–533, 2005.
- D. K. Owens, “Interpretation of cost-effectiveness analyses,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 716–717, 1998.