- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 514146, 5 pages
HPV Type Distribution and Cervical Cytology among HIV-Positive Tanzanian and South African Women
1Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, P.O. Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2Leiden Cytology and Pathology Laboratory, P.O. Box 16084, 2301 GB Leiden, The Netherlands
3Lawson Health Research Institute, Canadian Research and Development Centre for Probiotics and Departments of Microbiology, Immunology and Surgery, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 4V2
4Department of Epidemiology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
5Ndlovu Care Group, Elandsdoorn, P.O. Box 15008, Groblersdal 0470, South Africa
6Bontekoe Research, Rooseveltstraat 4-d, 2321 BM Leiden, The Netherlands
7DDL Diagnostic Laboratory, Visseringlaan 25, 2288 ER Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Received 26 February 2012; Accepted 6 May 2012
Academic Editors: K. Chan, M. Kühnert, E. Porcu, and L. C. Zeferino
Copyright © 2012 Joke A. M. Dols et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Muñoz, F. Xavier Bosch, X. Castellsagué et al., “Against which human papillomavirus types shall we vaccinate and screen? The international perspective,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 278–285, 2004.
- S. De Sanjose, W. G. V. Quint, L. Alemany, et al., “Human papillomavirus genotype attribution in invasive cervical cancer: a retrospective cross-sectional worldwide study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, pp. 1048–1056, 2010.
- J. A. M. Dols, M. E. Boon, M. Monachese et al., “The impact of probiotic yogurt on HIV positive women in Tanzania,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 575–577, 2011.
- M. E. Boon and L. P. Kok, “Formalin cross-linking or optimized alcohol coagulation: that is the question,” in Recent Research Development in Human Pathology, S. G. Pandalai, Ed., pp. 17–38, Transworld Research Network, Kerala, India, 2005.
- J. A. M. Dols, P. W. Smit, R. Kort, et al., “Microarray-based identification of clinically relevant vaginal bacteria in relation to bacterial vaginosis,” American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 204, pp. 305.e1–305.e7, 2011.
- J. A. M. Dols, G. Reid, R. Kort, et al., “PCR-based identification of eight lactobacillus species and 18 hr-HPV genotypes in fixed cervical samples of South African women at risk of HIV and BV,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 472–477, 2012.
- D. Solomon, D. Davey, R. Kurman et al., “The 2001 Bethesda System: terminology for reporting results of cervical cytology,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 287, no. 16, pp. 2114–2119, 2002.
- J. H. F. Smith, “Bethesda 2001,” Cytopathology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 4–10, 2002.
- B. Kleter, L. J. Van Doorn, L. Schrauwen et al., “Development and clinical evaluation of a highly sensitive PCR-reverse hybridization line probe assay for detection and identification of anogenital human papillomavirus,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 2508–2517, 1999.
- X. Castellsagué, C. Menéndez, M. P. Loscertales et al., “Human papillomavirus genotypes in rural Mozambique,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9291, pp. 1429–1430, 2001.
- S. Bulk, J. Berkhof, N. W. J. Bulkmans et al., “Preferential risk of HPV16 for squamous cell carcinoma and of HPV18 for adenocarcinoma of the cervix compared to women with normal cytology in The Netherlands,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 171–175, 2006.
- H. M. Said, K. Ahmed, R. Burnett, B. R. Allan, A. L. Williamson, and A. A. Hoosen, “HPV genotypes in women with squamous intraepithelial lesions and normal cervixes participating in a community-based microbicide study in Pretoria, South Africa,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 318–321, 2009.
- K. C. Tsao, C. G. Huang, Y. B. Kuo et al., “Prevalence of human papillomavirus genotypes in northern taiwanese women,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1739–1745, 2010.
- C. H. Wang, R. G. Garvilles, and C. Y. Chen, “Characterization of human papillomavirus infection in North Taiwan,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 1416–1423, 2010.
- Y. C. Yip, K. L. K. Ngai, H. T. Vong et al., “Prevalence and genotype distribution of cervical human papillomavirus infection in Macao,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1724–1729, 2010.
- M. H. Einstein and R. Phaëton, “Issues in cervical cancer incidence and treatment in HIV,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 449–455, 2010.
- C. M. Roteli-Martins, N. S. De Carvalho, P. Naud et al., “Prevalence of human papillomavirus infection and associated risk factors in young women in Brazil, Canada, and the United States: a multicenter cross-sectional study,” International Journal of Gynecological Pathology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 173–184, 2011.
- P. Mayaud, D. K. Gill, H. A. Weiss et al., “The interrelation of HIV, cervical human papillomavirus, and neoplasia among antenatal clinic attenders in Tanzania,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 248–254, 2001.
- L. Bruni, M. Diaz, X. Castellsagué, E. Ferrer, F. X. Bosch, and S. De Sanjosé, “Cervical human papillomavirus prevalence in 5 continents: meta-analysis of 1 million women with normal cytological findings,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 202, no. 12, pp. 1789–1799, 2010.