- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 754197, 6 pages
Symptoms and Risk Factors of Ovarian Cancer: A Survey in Primary Care
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Westcliff on Sea, Essex SS0 0RY, UK
2Gynaecological Oncology Unit, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Lane, Fulwood, Preston, Lancashire PR2 9HT, UK
3Oaklands Surgery, Central Canvey Primary Care Centre, Long Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 0JA, UK
Received 25 May 2012; Accepted 9 July 2012
Academic Editors: M. Friedrich and T. Perez-Medina
Copyright © 2012 Ketan Gajjar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Quaye, S. A. Gayther, S. J. Ramus et al., “The effects of common genetic variants in oncogenes on ovarian cancer survival,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 5833–5839, 2008.
- N. Colombo, T. van Gorp, G. Parma et al., “Ovarian cancer,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 159–179, 2006.
- B. A. Goff, L. Mandel, H. G. Muntz, and C. H. Melancon, “Ovarian carcinoma diagnosis: results of a national ovarian cancer survey,” Cancer, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 2068–2075, 2000.
- M. Sant, C. Allemani, M. Santaquilani, A. Knijn, F. Marchesi, and R. Capocaccia, “EUROCARE-4. Survival of cancer patients diagnosed in 1995–1999. Results and commentary,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 931–991, 2009.
- M. F. Vine, B. Calingaert, A. Berchuck, and J. M. Schildkraut, “Characterization of prediagnostic symptoms among primary epithelial ovarian cancer cases and controls,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2003.
- L. H. Smith, C. R. Morris, S. Yasmeen, A. Parikh-Patel, R. D. Cress, and P. S. Romano, “Ovarian cancer: can we make the clinical diagnosis earlier?” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 1398–1407, 2005.
- B. A. Goff, L. S. Mandel, C. H. Melancon, and H. G. Muntz, “Frequency of symptoms of ovarian cancer in women presenting to primary care clinics,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 22, pp. 2705–2712, 2004.
- B. A. Goff, L. S. Mandel, C. W. Drescher et al., “Development of an ovarian cancer symptom index: possibilities for earlier detection,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 221–227, 2007.
- M. L. Wynn, S. Chang, and L. A. Peipins, “Temporal patterns of conditions and symptoms potentially associated with ovarian cancer,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 971–986, 2007.
- Department of Health, “Ovarian cancer: key messages for health professionals,” 2009, http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Cancer/DH_095624.
- C. R. Bankhead, C. Collins, H. Stokes-Lampard et al., “Identifying symptoms of ovarian cancer: a qualitative and quantitative study,” BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 1008–1014, 2008.
- J. Evans, S. Ziebland, and A. McPherson, “Minimizing delays in ovarian cancer diagnosis: an expansion of Andersen's model of ‘total patient delay’,” Family Practice, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 2007.
- M. B. Daly and R. F. Ozols, “Symptoms of ovarian cancer—where to set the bar?” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 22, pp. 2755–2756, 2004.
- R. Twombly, “Cancer killer may be “silent” no more,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 99, no. 18, pp. 1359–1361, 2007.
- S. Lockwood-Rayermann, H. S. Donovan, D. Rambo, and C. W. J. Kuo, “Original research: women's awareness of ovarian cancer risks and symptoms,” American Journal of Nursing, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 36–45, 2009.
- A. Russo, V. Calò, L. Bruno, S. Rizzo, V. Bazan, and G. Di Fede, “Hereditary ovarian cancer,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 28–44, 2009.
- S. A. South, H. Vance, C. Farrell et al., “Consideration of hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer in BRCA mutation-negative familial ovarian cancers,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 324–333, 2009.
- Office for National Statistics, Cancer 1971–1997, Office of National Statistics, London, UK, 1999.
- U. Menon, A. Gentry-Maharaj, R. Hallett et al., “Sensitivity and specificity of multimodal and ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer, and stage distribution of detected cancers: results of the prevalence screen of the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS),” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 327–340, 2009.
- C. R. Bankhead, S. T. Kehoe, and J. Austoker, “Symptoms associated with diagnosis of ovarian cancer: a systematic review,” BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 112, no. 7, pp. 857–865, 2005.
- I. Lataifeh, D. E. Marsden, G. Robertson, V. Gebski, and N. F. Hacker, “Presenting symptoms of epithelial ovarian cancer,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 211–214, 2005.
- W. Hamilton, T. J. Peters, C. Bankhead, and D. Sharp, “Risk of ovarian cancer in women with symptoms in primary care: population based case-control study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, Article ID b2998, 2009.
- S. H. Olson, L. Mignone, C. Nakraseive, T. A. Caputo, R. R. Barakat, and S. Harlap, “Symptoms of ovarian cancer,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 212–217, 2001.
- “Target Ovarian cancer Pathfinder Study,” 2009, http://www.targetovarian.org.uk.
- E. Watson, J. Austoker, and A. Lucassen, “A study of GP referrals to a family cancer clinic for breast/ovarian cancer,” Family Practice, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 131–134, 2001.
- P. W. Rose, E. Watson, P. Yudkin et al., “Referral of patients with a family history of breast/ovarian cancer—GPs' knowledge and expectations,” Family Practice, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 487–490, 2001.
- Guidance on Commissioning Cancer Services, Improving Outcomes in Gynaecological Cancers (IOG, 1999), Department of Health, 1999.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, CG27 Referral guidelines for suspected cancer, 2005, http://www.nice.org.uk/CG027.
- RCOG, “Gynaecological Examinations: Guidelines for Specialist Practice,” Working Party Report, RCOG, 2002.
- Maintaining Boundaries: Supplementary Guidance, General Medical Council, 2006.
- S. S. Buys, E. Partridge, A. Black et al., “Effect of screening on ovarian cancer mortality: the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) cancer screening randomized controlled trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 305, no. 22, pp. 2295–2303, 2011.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, Recognition and initial management of ovarian cancer, (Clinical guideline 122), 2011, http://www.nice.org.uk/CG122.
- H. Stokes-Lampard, S. Wilson, T. Allan, C. Waddell, and S. Kehoe, “Vaginal vault smears—“know more—do less”: a questionnaire survey of primary health care practitioners,” Cytopathology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 244–251, 2005.
- E. L. Moss, J. Hollingworth, M. Holland, D. J. Murphy, I. Fernando, and T. M. Reynolds, “The use and understanding of CA125 as a tumor marker for ovarian cancer: a questionnaire-based survey,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 439–445, 2008.
- K. Kelley, B. Clark, V. Brown, and J. Sitzia, “Good practice in the conduct and reporting of survey research,” International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 261–266, 2003.