- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 614198, 10 pages
Risk of Cancer Mortality in Spanish Towns Lying in the Vicinity of Pollutant Industries
1Department of Environmental Epidemiology and Cancer, National Centre for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Health, Avenida Monforte de Lemos, 5, 28029 Madrid, Spain
2CIBER en Epidemiología y Salud Pública (CIBERESP), 08003 Madrid, Spain
3Division of Medicine, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YB, UK
Received 7 May 2012; Accepted 7 August 2012
Academic Editors: R.-J. Bensadoun and J. M. Zidan
Copyright © 2012 Rebeca Ramis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Samet and A. Cohen, “Air pollution,” in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, pp. 355–382, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- IARC, Overall Evaluations of Carcinogenicity: An Updating of IARC Monographs Volumes 1 to 42, Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, supplement 7, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 1987.
- L. M. Schell, K. K. Burnitz, and P. W. Lathrop, “Pollution and human biology,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 347–366, 2010.
- L. Curtis, W. Rea, P. Smith-Willis, E. Fenyves, and Y. Pan, “Adverse health effects of outdoor air pollutants,” Environment International, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 815–830, 2006.
- J. Barclay, G. Hillis, and J. Ayres, “Air pollution and the heart cardiovascular effects and mechanisms,” Toxicological Reviews, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2005.
- D. Briggs, “Exposure assessment,” in Spatial Epidemiology: Methods and Applications, Oxford University Press, 2000.
- M. Nieuwenhuijsen, D. Paustenbach, and R. Duarte-Davidson, “New developments in exposure assessment: the impact on the practice of health risk assessment and epidemiological studies,” Environment International, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 996–1009, 2006.
- A. J. De Roos, S. Davis, J. S. Colt et al., “Residential proximity to industrial facilities and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma,” Environmental Research, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 70–78, 2010.
- J.-F. Viel, C. Daniau, S. Goria et al., “Risk for non Hodgkin's lymphoma in the vicinity of French municipal solid waste incinerators,” Environmental Health, vol. 7, article 51, 2008.
- S. Parodi, M. Vercelli, A. Stella, E. Stagnaro, and F. Valerio, “Lymphohaematopoietic system cancer incidence in an urban area near a coke oven plant: an ecological investigation,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 187–194, 2003.
- S. Monge-Corella, J. García-Pérez, N. Aragonés, M. Pollán, B. Pérez-Gómez, and G. López-Abente, “Lung cancer mortality in towns near paper, pulp and board industries in Spain: a point source pollution study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 288, 2008.
- J. García-Pérez, M. F. López-Cima, B. Pérez-Gómez et al., “Mortality due to tumours of the digestive system in towns lying in the vicinity of metal production and processing installations,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 16, pp. 3102–3112, 2010.
- J. F. Viel, P. Arveux, J. Baverel, and J. Y. Cahn, “Soft-tissue sarcoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma clusters around a municipal solid waste incinerator with high dioxin emission levels,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2000.
- P. J. Diggle and B. S. Rowlingson, “A conditional approach to point process modelling of elevated risk,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society A, vol. 157, pp. 433–440, 1994.
- P. Elliott, G. Shaddick, I. Kleinschmidt et al., “Cancer incidence near municipal solid waste incinerators in Great Britain,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 702–710, 1996.
- G. Draper, T. Vincent, M. E. Kroll, and J. Swanson, “Childhood cancer in relation to distance from high voltage power lines in England and Wales: a case-control study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 330, no. 7503, pp. 1290–1292, 2005.
- J. García-Pérez, M. F. López-Cima, M. Pollán et al., “Risk of dying of cancer in the vicinity of multiple pollutant sources associated with the metal industry,” Environment International, vol. 40, pp. 116–127, 2012.
- R. Ramis, P. Diggle, K. Cambra, and G. López-Abente, “Prostate cancer and industrial pollution. Risk around putative focus in a multi-source scenario,” Environment International, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 577–585, 2011.
- J. García-Pérez, M. Pollán, E. Boldo et al., “Mortality due to lung, laryngeal and bladder cancer in towns lying in the vicinity of combustion installations,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 407, no. 8, pp. 2593–2602, 2009.
- R. Ramis, E. Vidal, J. García-Pérez et al., “Study of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma mortality associated with industrial pollution in Spain, using poisson models,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 26, 2009.
- K. Cambra, T. Martínez-Rueda, E. Alonso-Fustel et al., “Mortality in small geographical areas and proximity to air polluting industries in the Basque Country (Spain),” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- J. Wakefield, “Disease mapping and spatial regression with count data,” Biostatistics, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 158–183, 2007.
- J. Besag, J. York, and A. Mollié, “Bayesian image restoration, with two applications in spatial statistics,” Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 1991.
- D. J. Spiegelhalter, N. G. Best, B. P. Carlin, and A. Van Der Linde, “Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 583–639, 2002.
- J. Ayuso-Ojerana, J. Fernandez-Cuesta, and J. Plaza-Ibeas, Anuario del Mercado Español, Banesto, Madrid, Spain, 1993.
- H. Rue, S. Martino, and N. Chopin, “Approximate Bayesian inference for latent Gaussian models by using integrated nested Laplace approximations,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 319–392, 2009.
- The R Project for Statistical Computing (n.d.), January 2012, http://www.r-project.org/.
- J. García-Pérez, E. Boldo, R. Ramis et al., “Validation of the geographic position of EPER-Spain industries,” International Journal of Health Geographics, vol. 7, article 1, 2008.
- A. Kibble and R. Harrison, “Point sources of air pollution,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 55, pp. 425–431, 2005.
- J. F. Viel, D. Pobel, and A. Carre, “Incidence of leukaemia in young people around the La Hague nuclear waste reprocessing plant: a sensitivity analysis,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 14, no. 21-22, pp. 2459–2472, 1995.
- R. A. Lyons, S. P. Monaghan, M. Heaven, B. N. C. Littlepage, T. J. Vincent, and G. J. Draper, “Incidence of leukaemia and lymphoma in young people in the vicinity of the petrochemical plant at Baglan Bay, South Wales, 1974 to 1991,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 225–228, 1995.
- S. Belli, M. Benedetti, P. Comba et al., “Case-control study on cancer risk associated to residence in the neighbourhood of a petrochemical plant,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2004.
- N. Simonsen, R. Scribner, L. J. Su et al., “Environmental exposure to emissions from petrochemical sites and lung cancer: the lower mississippi interagency cancer study,” Journal of Environmental and Public Health, vol. 2010, Article ID 759645, 2010.
- P. Boffeta and L. Stayner, “Pleural and peritoneal neoplasms,” in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, pp. 659–673, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- D. Schottenfeld and J. F. Fraumeni, Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, Oxford University, 2006, http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195149616.001.0001/acprof-9780195149616.
- N. S. Holmes and L. Morawska, “A review of dispersion modelling and its application to the dispersion of particles: an overview of different dispersion models available,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 40, no. 30, pp. 5902–5928, 2006.
- S. Goria, C. Daniau, P. de Crouy-Chanel et al., “Risk of cancer in the vicinity of municipal solid waste incinerators: importance of using a flexible modelling strategy,” International Journal of Health Geographics, vol. 8, no. 1, article 31, 2009.
- B. Pérez-Gómez, N. Aragonés, M. Pollán et al., “Accuracy of cancer death certificates in Spain: a summary of available information,” Gaceta Sanitaria, vol. 20, supplement 3, pp. 42–51, 2006.
- R. W. Clapp, M. M. Jacobs, and E. L. Loechler, “Environmental and occupational causes of cancer: new evidence 2005–2007,” Reviews on Environmental Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1–37, 2008.
- G. Lopez-Abente, N. Aragones, R. Ramis et al., “Municipal distribution of bladder cancer mortality in Spain: possible role of mining and industry,” BMC Public Health, vol. 6, article 17, 2006.
- D. Silverman, S. S. Devesa, and L. Moore, “Bladder cancer,” in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, pp. 1101–11027, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- G. López-Abente, V. Hernández-Barrera, M. Pollán, N. Aragonés, and B. Pérez-Gómez, “Municipal pleural cancer mortality in Spain,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 195–199, 2005.
- G. López-Abente, N. Aragonés, M. Pollán, M. Ruiz, and A. Gandarillas, “Leukemia, lymphomas, and myeloma mortality in the vicinity of nuclear power plants and nuclear fuel facilities in Spain,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 925–934, 1999.
- P. Kaatsch, C. Spix, R. Schulze-Rath, S. Schmiedel, and M. Blettner, “Leukaemia in young children living in the vicinity of German nuclear power plants,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 721–726, 2008.
- J. García-Pérez, M. F. López-Cima, E. Boldo et al., “Leukemia-related mortality in towns lying in the vicinity of metal production and processing installations,” Environment International, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 746–753, 2010.
- S. Liner, S. S. Devesa, and G. Morgan, “The leukemias,” in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, pp. 841–871, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- Z. Fang, M. Kulldorff, and D. I. Gregorio, “Brain cancer mortality in the United States, 1986 to 1995: a geographic analysis,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 179–187, 2004.
- E. Regidor, J. L. Gutiérrez-Fisac, M. de los Santos Ichaso, and E. Fernández, “Trends in principal cancer risk factors in Spain,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, supplement 3, pp. iii37–iii42, 2010.
- M. I. Izarzugaza, E. Ardanaz, M. D. Chirlaque, et al., “Tobacco-related tumours of the lung, bladder and larynx: changes in Spain,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, supplement 3, pp. iii52–iii60, 2010.
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística. (National Statistics Institute) (n.d.), January 2012, http://www.ine.es/jaxi/menu.do?type=pcaxis&path=/t22/e308_mnu&file=inebase&N=&L=0.
- S. Godman and M. Samet, “Cause and cancer epidemiology,” in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, pp. 3–9, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.