- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 219369, 6 pages
Osteosarcoma in Adult Patients Living with HIV/AIDS
Tumour, Sepsis and Reconstruction Unit, Grey’s Hospital, Townbush Road, Pietermaritzburg 3201, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Received 4 February 2013; Accepted 21 February 2013
Academic Editors: A. Berner and E. Sueoka
Copyright © 2013 Leonard C. Marais and Nando Ferreira. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Statistics South Africa, Mid-year population estimates, 2012, http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/P0302/P03022011.pdf.
- T. Welz, V. Hosegood, S. Jaffar, J. Bätzing-Feigenbaum, K. Herbst, and M. L. Newell, “Continued very high prevalence of HIV infection in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: a population-based longitudinal study,” AIDS, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1467–1472, 2007.
- A. E. Grulich, Y. Li, A. McDonald, P. K. L. Correll, M. G. Law, and J. M. Kaldor, “Rates of non-AIDS-defining cancers in people with HIV infection before and after AIDS diagnosis,” AIDS, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1155–1161, 2002.
- M. Frisch, R. J. Biggar, E. A. Engels, et al., “Association of cancer with AIDS-related immunosuppression in adults,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 13, pp. 1736–1745, 2001.
- P. Patel, D. L. Hanson, P. S. Sullivan et al., “Incidence of types of cancer among HIV-infected persons compared with the general population in the United States, 1992–2003,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 10, pp. 728–736, 2008.
- G. M. Clifford, J. Polesel, M. Rickenbach, et al., “Cancer risk in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study: associations with immunodeficiency, smoking, and highly active antiretroviral therapy,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 425–432, 2005.
- D. Serraino, P. Piselli, G. Busnach et al., “Risk of cancer following immunosuppression in organ transplant recipients and in HIV-positive individuals in southern Europe,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 43, no. 14, pp. 2117–2123, 2007.
- A. Newnham, J. Harris, H. S. Evans, B. G. Evans, and H. Møller, “The risk of cancer in HIV-infected people in southeast England: a cohort study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 194–200, 2005.
- E. A. Engels, R. J. Biggar, H. I. Hall et al., “Cancer risk in people infected with human immunodeficiency virus in the United States,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 187–194, 2008.
- G. M. Allardice, D. J. Hole, D. H. Brewster, J. Boyd, and D. J. Goldberg, “Incidence of malignant neoplasms among HIV-infected persons in Scotland,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 505–507, 2003.
- M. T. Tetzlaff, C. Nosek, and C. L. Kovarik, “Epstein-Barr virus-associated leiomyosarcoma with cutaneous involvement in an African child with human immunodeficiency virus: a case report and review of the literature,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 731–739, 2011.
- K. Fizazi, J. Feuillard, A. Le Cesne et al., “Soft tissue sarcomas in HIV-infected adult patients,” European Journal of Cancer Part A, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1812–1814, 1996.
- B. J. F. Dean and D. Whitwell, “Epidemiology of bone and soft-tissue sarcomas,” Orthopaedics and Trauma, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 223–230, 2009.
- L. Mirabello, R. J. Troisi, and S. A. Savage, “Osteosarcoma incidence and survival rates from 1973 to 2004: data from the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 1531–1543, 2009.
- N. Ferreira and L. C. Marais, “Osteosarcoma presentation stages to a tumour unit in South Africa,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 102, no. 8, pp. 673–676, 2012.
- World Health Organization, “WHO case definitions of HIV for surveillance and revised clinical staging and immunological classification of HIV-related disease in adults and children,” 2007, http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/HIVstaging150307.pdf.
- K. Okada, K. K. Unni, R. G. Swee, et al., “High grade surface osteosarcoma of 46 cases,” Cancer, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 1044–1054, 1999.
- M. Hoshi, S. Matsumoto, J. Manabe, et al., “Report of four cases with high-grade surface osteosarcoma,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 180–184, 2006.
- E. L. Staals, P. Bacchini, and F. Bertoni, “High-grade surface osteosarcoma: a review of 25 cases from the Rizzoli Institute,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 7, pp. 1592–1599, 2008.
- G. Bacci, A. Longhi, S. Ferrari et al., “Prognostic significance of serum lactate dehydrogenase in osteosarcoma of the extremity: experience at Rizzoli on 1421 patients treated over the last 30 years,” Tumori, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 478–484, 2004.
- S. Ramos da Silva and D. Elgui de Oliveira, “HIV, EBV and KSHV: viral cooperation in the pathogenesis of human malignancies,” Cancer Letters, vol. 305, no. 2, pp. 175–185, 2011.
- J. S. Butel, “Viral carcinogenesis: revelation of molecular mechanisms and etiology of human disease,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 405–426, 2000.
- Y. Sun and E. A. Clark, “Expression of the c-myc proto-oncogene is essential for HIV-1 infection in activated T cells,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 189, no. 9, pp. 1391–1397, 1999.
- M. Subar, A. Neri, G. Inghirami, D. M. Knowles, and R. Dalla-Favera, “Frequent c-myc oncogene activation and infrequent presence of Epstein-Barr virus genome in AIDS-associated lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 667–671, 1988.
- M. L. Broadhead, J. C. M. Clark, D. E. Myers, et al., “The molecular pathogenesis of ostesarcoma: a review,” Sarcoma, vol. 2011, Article ID 959248, 12 pages, 2011.