- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 238017, 9 pages
Changes among US Cancer Survivors: Comparing Demographic, Diagnostic, and Health Care Findings from the 1992 and 2010 National Health Interview Surveys
1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Epidemiology and Applied Research Branch, 4770 Buford Highway N.E., MS K-55, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Cancer Surveillance Branch, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
3Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, Division of Cancer Prevention & Office of Cancer Survivorship, National Cancer Institute, NIH/DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
4Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, Washington, DC 20036, USA
5Office of Cancer Survivorship, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, NIH/DHH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Received 16 May 2013; Accepted 6 June 2013
Academic Editors: F. Efficace and B. B. Patel
Copyright © 2013 Natasha D. Buchanan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Treatment & Survivorship 2012–2013, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2012.
- N. Howlader, A. M. Noone, M. Krapcho, N. Neyman, R. Aminou, W. Waldron, et al., Eds., SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2008, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2008/.
- J. H. Rowland, A. Mariotto, C. M. Alfano, L. A. Pollack, H. K. Weir, and A. White, “Cancer survivors-United States, 2007,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 269–272, 2011.
- M. Hewitt, N. Breen, and S. Devesa, “Cancer prevalence and survivorship issues: analyses of the 1992 national health interview survey,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 91, no. 17, pp. 1480–1486, 1999.
- J. M. Underwood, J. S. Townsend, S. Stewart, N. Buchanan, D. Ekwueme, N. A. Hawkins, et al., “Assessment of self-reported cancer survivors, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), 2009–50 states and the district of Columbia,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 2011.
- Institute of Medicine, Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- Institute of Medicine, M. Hewitt, and J. V. Simone, Eds., Ensuring Quality Cancer Care, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1999.
- M. Hewitt, S. Greenfield, and E. Stovall, From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
- Institute of Medicine (US), Committee on Psychosocial Services to Cancer Patients/Families in a Community Setting, N. E. Adler, and A. E. K. Page, Eds., Cancer Care For the Whole Patient: Meeting Psychosocial Health Needs, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2008, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK4015/.
- National Cancer Institute, “SEER Site Recode ICD-O-3 2010+ Cases WHO Heme Definition,” http://seer.cancer.gov/siterecode/icdo3_dwhoheme/index.html.
- R. J. Klein, S. E. Proctor, M. A. Boudreault, and K. M. Turczyn, “Healthy People 2010 criteria for data suppression,” Healthy People Statistical Notes 24, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/statnt/statnt24.pdf.
- C. Parry, E. E. Kent, A. B. Mariotto, C. M. Alfano, and J. H. Rowland, “Cancer survivors: a booming population,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1996–2005, 2011.
- V. A. Moyer, “Screening for prostate cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 120–134, 2012.
- J. Li, R. German, J. King, et al., “Recent trends in prostate cancer testing and incidence among men under age of 50,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 122–127, 2012.
- S. F. Altekruse, C. L. Kosary, M. Krapcho, et al., Eds., SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2007, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2010, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2007/.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures For African Americans 2011-2012, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2011.
- US Census Bureau, “The 2012 Statistical Abstract. Marital Status of the Population by Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 1990 to 2010,” http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0056.pdf.
- M. Watson, C. J. Johnson, V. W. Chen et al., “Melanoma surveillance in the United States: overview of methods,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 65, no. 5, 2011.
- W. Demark-Wahnefried, N. M. Aziz, J. H. Rowland, and B. M. Pinto, “Riding the crest of the teachable moment: promoting long-term health after the diagnosis of cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 24, pp. 5814–5830, 2005.
- J. J. Guidry, W. Torrence, and S. Herbelin, “Closing the divide: diverse populations and cancer survivorship,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 11, pp. 2577–2583, 2005.
- American Cancer Society, “History of Cancer,” http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002048-pdf.pdf.
- T. A. Buchholz, “Radiation therapy for early-stage breast cancer after breast-conserving surgery,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 1, pp. 63–70, 2009.
- Lance Armstrong Foundation. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, A National Action Plan For Cancer Survivorship: Advancing Public Health Strategies, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2004.
- American Association for Cancer Research, “Stand Up To Cancer,” http://www.aacr.org/home/public–media/stand-up-to-cancer.aspx.
- S. A. Sabatino, R. J. Coates, R. J. Uhler, L. G. Alley, and L. A. Pollack, “Health insurance coverage and cost barriers to needed medical care among U.S. adult cancer survivors age <65 years,” Cancer, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 2466–2475, 2006.
- K. Hodgkinson, P. Butow, G. E. Hunt, S. Pendlebury, K. M. Hobbs, and G. Wain, “Breast cancer survivors' supportive care needs 2-10 years after diagnosis,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 515–523, 2007.
- J. Zabora, K. BrintzenhofeSzoc, B. Curbow, et al., “The prevalence of psychological distress by cancer site,” Psychooncology, vol. 10, pp. 19–28, 2001.
- S. Thomas, R. Glynne-Jones, I. Chait, and D. Marks, “Anxiety in long-term cancer survivors influences of acceptability of planned discharge from follow-up,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 190–199, 1997.
- J. Conti, “Job discrimination against people with a cancer history,” Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 12–16, 1995.
- B. Thewes, P. Butow, A. Girgis, and S. Pendlebury, “The psychosocial needs of breast cancer survivors; a qualitative study of the shared and unique needs of younger versus older survivors,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 177–189, 2004.
- J. H. Rowland and F. Baker, “Introduction: resilience of cancer survivors across the lifespan,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 11, supplement, pp. 2543–2548, 2005.
- S. B. Detmar, M. J. Muller, J. H. Schornagel, L. D. V. Wever, and N. K. Aaronson, “Health-related quality-of-life assessments and patient-physician communication: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 23, pp. 3027–3034, 2002.
- President's Cancer Panel, Living Beyond Cancer: Finding a New Balance. President’s Cancer Panel 2003-2004 Annual Report, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2004.
- J. E. Owen, L. Boxley, M. S. Goldstein, J. H. Lee, N. Breen, and J. H. Rowland, “Use of health-related online support groups: population data from the California Health Interview Survey Complementary and Alternative Medicine Study,” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 427–446, 2010.
- B. Zebrack, R. Hamilton, and A. W. Smith, “Psychosocial outcomes and service use among young adults with cancer,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 468–477, 2009.
- M. M. Desai, M. L. Bruce, R. A. Desai, and B. G. Druss, “Validity of self-reported cancer history: a comparison of health interview data and cancer registry records,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 299–306, 2001.
- H. K. Koh and K. G. Sebelius, “Promoting prevention through the affordable care act,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 14, pp. 1296–1299, 2010.