- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 245246, 5 pages
Expression and Regulation of 11-β Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase Type 2 Enzyme Activity in the Glucocorticoid-Sensitive CEM-C7 Human Leukemic Cell Line
1Department of Biology, Winona State University, 234 Pasteur Hall, P.O. Box 5838, Winona, MN 55987, USA
2Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, 6-452 Bowen Science Building, 51 Newton Road, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 17 January 2013; Accepted 6 February 2013
Academic Editors: P. Balaram, Z. S. Guo, H. T. Khong, and H. Mo
Copyright © 2013 Mark R. Garbrecht and Thomas J. Schmidt. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Seckl, M. Cleasby, and M. J. Nyirenda, “Glucocorticoids, 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, and fetal programming,” Kidney International, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1412–1417, 2000.
- G. E. Foley, H. Lazarus, S. Farber, B. G. Uzman, B. A. Boone, and R. E. McCarthy, “Continuous culture of human lymphoblasts from peripheral blood of a child with acute leukemia,” Cancer, vol. 18, pp. 522–529, 1965.
- M. R. Norman and E. B. Thompson, “Characterization of a glucocorticoid-sensitive human lymphoid cell line,” Cancer Research, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 3785–3791, 1977.
- R. Zawydiwski, J. M. Harmon, and E. B. Thompson, “Glucocorticoid-resistant human acute lymphoblastic leukemic cell line with functional receptor,” Cancer Research, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 3865–3873, 1983.
- S. Diederich, B. Hanke, P. Burkhardt et al., “Metabolism of synthetic corticosteroids by 11β-hydroxysteroid- dehydrogenases in man,” Steroids, vol. 63, no. 5-6, pp. 271–277, 1998.
- J. M. Klein, T. A. McCarthy, J. M. Dagle, and J. M. Snyder, “Antisense inhibition of surfactant protein A decreases tubular myelin formation in human fetal lung in vitro,” American Journal of Physiology–Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 282, no. 3, pp. L386–L393, 2002.
- M. R. Garbrecht, T. J. Schmidt, Z. S. Krozowski, and J. M. Snyder, “11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and the regulation of surfactant protein A by dexamethasone metabolites,” American Journal of Physiology–Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 290, no. 4, pp. E653–E660, 2006.
- K. X. Z. Li, R. E. Smith, P. Ferrari, J. W. Funder, and Z. S. Krozowski, “Rat 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 enzyme is expressed at low levels in the placenta and is modulated by adrenal steroids in the kidney,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 1996.
- A. Tzschoppe, F. Fahlbusch, J. Seidel et al., “Dexamethasone stimulates the expression of leptin and 11β-HSD2 in primary human placental trophoblastic cells,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2011.
- M. R. Garbrecht, J. M. Klein, T. A. McCarthy, T. J. Schmidt, Z. S. Krozowski, and J. M. Snyder, “11-β hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in human adult and fetal lung and its regulation by sex steroids,” Pediatric Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2007.
- E. P. Gomez-Sanchez, V. Ganjam, Y. J. Chen, Y. Liu, S. A. Clark, and C. E. Gomez-Sanchez, “The 11β hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 2 exists as an inactive dimer,” Steroids, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 845–848, 2001.
- J. P. van Beek, H. Guan, L. Julan, and K. Yang, “Glucocorticoids stimulate the expression of 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in cultured human placental trophoblast cells,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 5614–5621, 2004.
- J. M. Harmon, M. R. Norman, B. J. Fowlkes, and E. B. Thompson, “Dexamethasone induces irreversible G1 arrest and death of a human lymphoid cell line,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 267–278, 1979.
- J. M. Harmon and E. B. Thompson, “Glutamine synthetase induction by glucocorticoids in the glucocorticoid-sensitive human leukemic cell line CEM-C7,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 155–160, 1982.
- S. Sai, Y. Nakagawa, R. Yamaguchi, et al., “Expression of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 2 contributes to glucocorticoid resistance in lymphoblastic leukemia cells,” Leukemia Research, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1644–1648, 2011.