- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 259154, 6 pages
Is There a Limitation of RECIST Criteria in Prediction of Pathological Response, in Head and Neck Cancers, to Postinduction Chemotherapy?
1Department of Medical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Room 1108, HBB, E Borges Road, Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400012, India
2Department of Radiodiagnosis, TMH, Mumbai, India
3Department of Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, TMH, Mumbai, India
4Department of Pathology, TMH, Mumbai, India
Received 29 March 2013; Accepted 23 May 2013
Academic Editors: A. E. Bilsland and A. H. Wolfson
Copyright © 2013 V. Patil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Husband, L. H. Schwartz, J. Spencer et al., “Evaluation of the response to treatment of solid tumours—a consensus statement of the International Cancer Imaging Society,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 2256–2260, 2004.
- E. A. Eisenhauer, P. Therasse, J. Bogaerts et al., “New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1),” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 228–247, 2009.
- H. Watanabe, S. Yamamoto, H. Kunitoh et al., “Tumor response to chemotherapy: the validity and reproducibility of RECIST guidelines in NSCLC patients,” Cancer Science, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 1015–1020, 2003.
- S. Khokher, M. U. Qureshi, and N. A. Chaudhry, “Comparison of WHO and RECIST criteria for evaluation of clinical response to chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 3213–3218, 2012.
- J. L. Lefebvre, D. Chevalier, B. Luboinski, A. Kirkpatrick, L. Collette, and T. Sahmoud, “Larynx preservation in pyriform sinus cancer: preliminary results of a European organization for research and treatment of cancer phase III trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 88, no. 13, pp. 890–899, 1996.
- V. M. Patil, V. Noronha, A. Joshi et al., “Induction chemotherapy in locally advanced pharyngolaryngeal cancers with stridor: is it feasible and safe?” Chemotherapy Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 549170, 5 pages, 2012.
- “Induction chemotherapy plus radiation compared with surgery plus radiation in patients with advanced laryngeal cancer. The Department of Veterans Affairs Laryngeal Cancer Study Group,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 324, no. 24, pp. 1685–1690, 1991.
- S. R. Prasad, K. S. Jhaveri, S. Saini, P. F. Hahn, E. F. Halpern, and J. E. Sumner, “CT tumor measurement for therapeutic response assessment: comparison of unidimensional, bidimensional, and volumetric techniques—initial observations,” Radiology, vol. 225, no. 2, pp. 416–419, 2002.
- M. R. Posner, D. M. Hershock, C. R. Blajman et al., “Cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or with docetaxel in head and neck cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 17, pp. 1705–1715, 2007.
- J. B. Vermorken, E. Remenar, C. Van Herpen et al., “Cisplatin, fluorouracil, and docetaxel in unresectable head and neck cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 17, pp. 1695–1704, 2007.
- C. Paterson, A. G. Robertson, D. Grose, P. D. Correa, and M. Rizwanullah, “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy prior to surgery in head and neck cancer,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 79–80, 2012.
- T. K. Hoffmann, “Systemic therapy strategies for head-neck carcinomas: current status,” Laryngo-Rhino-Otologie, vol. 91, supplement 1, pp. S123–S143, 2012.
- L. Licitra, C. Grandi, M. Guzzo et al., “Primary chemotherapy in resectable oral cavity squamous cell cancer: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 327–333, 2003.
- J. Cohen, “A power primer,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 1992.
- C. Suzuki, H. Jacobsson, T. Hatschek et al., “Radiologic measurements of tumor response to treatment: practical approaches and limitations,” Radiographics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 329–344, 2008.
- V. A. I. Mehta and J. H. Sampson, “The limitations of imaging response criteria,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1064–1065, 2012.
- H. W. Herr, J. Sheinfeld, H. S. Puc et al., “Surgery for a post-chemotherapy residual mass in seminoma,” Journal of Urology, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 860–862, 1997.
- E. Di Cesare, G. Cerone, R. M. Enrici, V. Tombolini, P. Anselmo, and C. Masciocchi, “MRI characterization of residual mediastinal masses in Hodgkin's disease: long-term follow-up,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2004.
- R. L. Wahl, H. Jacene, Y. Kasamon, and M. A. Lodge, “From RECIST to PERCIST: evolving considerations for PET response criteria in solid tumors,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 50, supplement 1, pp. 122S–150S, 2009.
- H. Choi, “Response evaluation of gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Oncologist, vol. 13, supplement 2, pp. 4–7, 2008.
- Y. Sato, H. Watanabe, M. Sone et al., “Tumor response evaluation criteria for HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma) treated using TACE (transcatheter arterial chemoembolization): RECIST (response evaluation criteria in solid tumors) version 1.1 and mRECIST (modified RECIST): JIVROSG-0602,” Upsala Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2013.
- J. Desai, “Response assessment in gastrointestinal stromal tumor,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1251–1258, 2011.
- H. Choi, “Critical issues in response evaluation on computed tomography: lessons from the gastrointestinal stromal tumor model,” Current Oncology Reports, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 307–311, 2005.