- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 279013, 7 pages
Intercostobrachial Nerves as a Novel Anatomic Landmark for Dividing the Axillary Space in Lymph Node Dissection
1Department of Breast Surgery, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning 110004, China
2Ultrasound Diagnosis Center, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning 110004, China
3Pathological Diagnosis Center, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning 110004, China
Received 9 November 2012; Accepted 16 December 2012
Academic Editors: B. Comin-Anduix, L. Saragoni, K. Sonoda, and Y. Yamamoto
Copyright © 2013 Jianyi Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Andersson, J. Frisell, M. Sylvan, J. De Boniface, and L. Bergkvist, “Breast cancer survival in relation to the metastatic tumor burden in axillary lymph nodes,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 17, pp. 2868–2873, 2010.
- S. H. Beal, S. R. Martinez, R. J. Canter, S. L. Chen, V. P. Khatri, and R. J. Bold, “Survival in 12,653 breast cancer patients with extensive axillary lymph node metastasis in the anthracycline era,” Medical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1420–1424, 2010.
- L. R. Lloyd, R. K. Waits, D. Schroder, A. Hawasli, P. Rizzo, and J. Rizzo, “Axillary dissection for breast carcinoma. The myth of skip metastasis,” American Surgeon, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 381–384, 1989.
- N. Masuda, Y. Tamaki, and S. Noguchi, “Management of axillary and internal mammary lymph nodes in primary breast cancer,” Nippon Geka Gakkai zasshi, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 465–472, 2001.
- R. D. Pezner, M. P. Patterson, and L. R. Hill, “Arm lymphedema in patients treated conservatively for breast cancer: relationship to patient age and axillary node dissection technique,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 2079–2083, 1986.
- S. R. M. Freeman, S. J. Washington, T. Pritchard, L. Barr, A. D. Baildam, and N. J. Bundred, “Long term results of a randomised prospective study of preservation of the intercostobrachial nerve,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 213–215, 2003.
- M. Loukas, J. Hullett, R. G. Louis, S. Holdman, and D. Holdman, “The gross anatomy of the extrathoracic course of the intercostobrachial nerve,” Clinical Anatomy, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 106–111, 2006.
- C. Mathelin, S. Croce, D. Brasse et al., “Methylene blue dye, an accurate dye for sentinel lymph node identification in early breast cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 4119–4125, 2009.
- I. Langer, U. Guller, G. Berclaz et al., “Accuracy of frozen section of sentinel lymph nodes: a prospective analysis of 659 breast cancer patients of the Swiss multicenter study,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 129–136, 2009.
- M. F. Dillon, V. Advani, C. Masterson, et al., “The value of level III clearance in patients with axillary and sentinel node positive breast cancer,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 5, pp. 834–839, 2009.
- C. K. Axelsson, M. Düring, P. M. Christiansen, et al., “Breast Cancer Cooperative Group Surgical Study Group. Impact on regional recurrence and survival of axillary surgery in women with node-negative primary breast cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2009.
- S. Haghighat, M. Lotfi-Tokaldany, M. Yunesian, M. E. Akbari, F. Nazemi, and J. Weiss, “Comparing two treatment methods for post mastectomy lymphedema: complex decongestive therapy alone and in combination with intermittent pneumatic compression,” Lymphology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2010.
- R. J. Tsai, L. K. Dennis, C. F. Lynch, L. G. Snetselaar, G. K. D. Zamba, and C. Scott-Conner, “The risk of developing arm lymphedema among breast cancer survivors: a meta-analysis of treatment factors,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1959–1972, 2009.
- A. D. Purushotham, T. M. B. Britton, M. B. Klevesath, P. Chou, O. F. Agbaje, and S. W. Duffy, “Lymph node status and breast cancer-related lymphedema,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 1, pp. 42–45, 2007.
- S. A. McLaughlin, M. J. Wright, K. T. Morris et al., “Prevalence of lymphedema in women with breast cancer 5 years after sentinel lymph node biopsy or axillary dissection: objective measurements,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 32, pp. 5213–5219, 2008.
- M. Loukas, R. G. Louis Jr, and C. T. Wartmann, “T2 contributions to the brachial plexus,” Neurosurgery, vol. 60, no. 2, supplement 1, pp. ONS13–ONS18, 2007.
- S. Yuen, K. Sawai, Y. Ushijima et al., “Evaluation of axillary status in breast cancer CT-based determination of sentinel lymph node size,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 579–586, 2002.
- J. I. Goldberg, L. I. Wiechmann, E. R. Riedel, M. Morrow, and K. J. Van Zee, “Morbidity of sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer: the relationship between the number of excised lymph nodes and lymphedema,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 3278–3286, 2010.
- M. Keskek, S. Balas, A. Gokoz, and I. Sayek, “Re-evaluation of axillary skip metastases in the era of sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer,” Surgery Today, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1047–1052, 2006.
- C. Boneti, S. Korourian, Z. Diaz et al., “Scientific Impact Award: axillary reverse mapping (ARM) to identify and protect lymphatics draining the arm during axillary lymphadenectomy,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 198, no. 4, pp. 482–487, 2009.
- S. J. Pain, S. Vowler, and A. D. Purushotham, “Axillary vein abnormalities contribute to development of lymphoedema after surgery for breast cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 311–315, 2005.