- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 742462, 6 pages
From Radical Mastectomy to Breast-Conserving Therapy and Oncoplastic Breast Surgery: A Narrative Review Comparing Oncological Result, Cosmetic Outcome, Quality of Life, and Health Economy
1Department of General Surgery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), P.O. Box 13145-158, Tehran, Iran
2Kaviani Breast Disease Institute (KBDI), P.O. Box 14358-6443, Tehran, Iran
3School of Medicine/Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), P.O. Box 1416135, Tehran, Iran
4Student’s Scientific Research Centre (SSRC), Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), P.O. Box 14155-6537, Tehran, Iran
5Sina Trauma and Surgery Research Centre, Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS), P.O. Box 11365-3876, Tehran, Iran
6The Young Scholars Club, No. 8 West Niloofar Street, Africa (Jordan) Avenue, Tehran, Iran
7Iran’s National Elite Foundation, No. 17 Haghighat Talab Street, Southern Nejatollahi Avenue, Tehran, Iran
8Department of Surgery, Institute Curie, P.O. Box 75005, Paris, France
Received 10 July 2013; Accepted 30 July 2013
Academic Editors: P. Clavère, O. Hansen, R. V. Sionov, and K. van Golen
Copyright © 2013 Ahmad Kaviani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. M. Rainsbury, “Surgery insight: oncoplastic breast-conserving reconstruction—indications, benefits, choices and outcomes,” Nature Clinical Practice Oncology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 657–664, 2007.
- N. Birido and J. G. Geraghty, “Quality control in breast cancer surgery,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 577–586, 2005.
- M. El-Tamer, “Surgical options as quality of care indicators in breast cancer,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 393–394, 2009.
- S. Ohsumi, K. Shimozuma, S. Morita et al., “Factors associated with health-related quality-of-life in breast cancer survivors: influence of the type of surgery,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 491–496, 2009.
- R. J. Bold, “Update: surgical management of breast cancer: today and tomorrow,” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2002.
- I. Cothier-Savey and F. Rimareix, “Principles of oncoplastic surgery in breast surgery,” Annales de Chirurgie Plastique et Esthetique, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 102–111, 2008.
- B. A. Pockaj, A. C. Degnim, J. C. Boughey et al., “Quality of life after breast cancer surgery: what have we learned and where should we go next?” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 447–455, 2009.
- G. H. Sakorafas, “Breast cancer surgery—historical evolution, current status and future perspectives,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 5–18, 2001.
- H. Eggemann, A. Ignatov, J. Krocker et al., “Comparative study of surgical margins and cosmetic outcome in lumpectomy versus segmental resection in breast cancer,” European Surgical Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 231–239, 2011.
- R. Exner, W. Krois, M. Mittlböck et al., “Objectively measured breast symmetry has no influence on quality of life in breast cancer patients,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 2012.
- K. von Smitten, “Surgical management of breast cancer in the future,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 437–439, 2000.
- F. Fitzal and M. Gnant, “Breast conservation: evolution of surgical strategies,” The Breast Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. S165–S173, 2006.
- M. H. Haloua, N. M. Krekel, H. A. Winters, et al., “A systematic review of oncoplastic breast-conserving surgery: current weaknesses and future prospects,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 257, no. 4, pp. 609–620, 2013.
- K. B. Clough, S. S. Thomas, A. D. Fitoussi, B. Couturaud, F. Reyal, and M.-C. Falcou, “Reconstruction after conservative treatment for breast cancer: cosmetic sequelae classification revisited,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 114, no. 7, pp. 1743–1753, 2004.
- K. S. Asgeirsson, T. Rasheed, S. J. McCulley, and R. D. Macmillan, “Oncological and cosmetic outcomes of oncoplastic breast conserving surgery,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 817–823, 2005.
- K. B. Clough, J. S. Lewis, B. Couturaud, A. Fitoussi, C. Nos, and M.-C. Falcou, “Oncoplastic techniques allow extensive resections for breast-conserving therapy of breast carcinomas,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 237, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2003.
- C. Nos, A. Fitoussi, D. Bourgeois, A. Fourquet, R. J. Salmon, and K. B. Clough, “Conservative treatment of lower pole breast cancers by bilateral mammoplasty and radiotherapy,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 508–514, 1998.
- C. Papp, G. Wechselberger, and T. Schoeller, “Autologous breast reconstruction after breast-conserving cancer surgery,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 1932–1936, 1998.
- R. Masetti, P. G. Pirulli, S. Magno, G. Franceschini, F. Chiesa, and A. Antinori, “Oncoplastic techniques in the conservative surgical treatment of breast cancer,” Breast Cancer, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 276–280, 2000.
- S. L. Spear and S. P. Davison, “Aesthetic subunits of the breast,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 440–447, 2003.
- S. L. Spear, C. V. Pelletiere, A. J. Wolfe, T. N. Tsangaris, and M. F. Pennanen, “Experience with reduction mammaplasty combined with breast conservation therapy in the treatment of breast cancer,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 1102–1109, 2003.
- E. Chang, N. Johnson, B. Webber et al., “Bilateral reduction mammoplasty in combination with lumpectomy for treatment of breast cancer in patients with macromastia,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 187, no. 5, pp. 647–651, 2004.
- J.-Y. Petit, M. Rietjens, and C. Garusi, “Breast reconstructive techniques in cancer patients: which ones, when to apply, which immediate and long term risks?” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 231–239, 2001.
- V. Galimberti, S. Zurrida, V. Zanini et al., “Central small size breast cancer: how to overcome the problem of nipple and areola involvement,” European Journal of Cancer A, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1093–1096, 1993.
- A. Losken, T. G. Schaefer, G. W. Carlson, G. E. Jones, T. M. Styblo, and J. Bostwick III, “Immediate endoscopic latissimus dorsi flap: risk or benefit in reconstructing partial mastectomy defects,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2004.
- L. A. Newman, H. M. Kuerer, M. D. McNeese et al., “Reduction mammoplasty improves breast conservation therapy in patients with macromastia,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 181, no. 3, pp. 215–220, 2001.
- M. Noguchi, T. Taniya, I. Miyazaki, and Y. Saito, “Immediate transposition of a latissimus dorsi muscle for correcting a postquadrantectomy breast deformity in Japanese patients,” International Surgery, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 166–170, 1990.
- J. M. Dixon, B. Venizelos, and P. Chan, “Latissimus dorsi mini-flap: a technique for extending breast conservation,” The Breast, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2002.
- C. C. Kat, C. M. Darcy, J. M. O'Donoghue, A. R. Taylor, and P. J. Regan, “The use of the latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flap for immediate correction of the deformity resulting from breast conservation surgery,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 99–103, 1999.
- R. K. Gendy, J. A. Able, and R. M. Rainsbury, “Impact of skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and breast-sparing reconstruction with miniflaps on the outcomes of oncoplastic breast surgery,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 433–439, 2003.
- M. T. Nano, P. G. Gill, J. Kollias, and M. A. Bochner, “Breast volume replacement using the latissimus dorsi miniflap,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 98–104, 2004.
- H. M. Heneghan, R. S. Prichard, R. Lyons et al., “Quality of life after immediate breast reconstruction and skin-sparing mastectomy—a comparison with patients undergoing breast conserving surgery,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 937–943, 2011.
- D. McCready, C. Holloway, W. Shelley et al., “Surgical management of early stage invasive breast cancer: a practice guideline,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 185–194, 2005.
- P.-L. Giacalone, P. Roger, O. Dubon et al., “Comparative study of the accuracy of breast resection in oncoplastic surgery and quadrantectomy in breast cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 605–614, 2007.
- O. C. Iwuagwu, “Additional considerations in the application of oncoplastic approaches,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 6, p. 356, 2005.
- D. A. Rew, “Towards a scientific basis for oncoplastic breast surgery,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 105–106, 2003.
- A. Munshi, S. Kakkar, R. Bhutani, R. Jalali, A. Budrukkar, and K. A. Dinshaw, “Factors influencing cosmetic outcome in breast conservation,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 285–293, 2009.
- J. F. Waljee, E. S. Hu, L. A. Newman, and A. K. Alderman, “Predictors of breast asymmetry after breast-conserving operation for breast cancer,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 274–280, 2008.
- J. Preuss, L. Lester, and C. Saunders, “BCCT.core—can a computer program be used for the assessment of aesthetic outcome after breast reconstructive surgery?” The Breast, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 597–600, 2012.
- M. G. Berry, A. D. Fitoussi, A. Curnier, B. Couturaud, and R. J. Salmon, “Oncoplastic breast surgery: a review and systematic approach,” Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 1233–1243, 2010.
- A. Luini, G. Gatti, S. Zurrida et al., “The evolution of the conservative approach to breast cancer,” The Breast, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 120–129, 2007.
- S. Ohsumi, K. Shimozuma, K. Kuroi, M. Ono, and H. Imai, “Quality of life of breast cancer patients and types of surgery for breast cancer—current status and unresolved issues,” Breast Cancer, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2007.
- G. A. Tkachenko, K. S. Arslanov, V. A. Iakovlev et al., “Long-term impact of plastic reconstruction on quality of life among breast cancer patients,” Voprosy Onkologii, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 724–728, 2008.
- P. R. Huguet, S. S. Morais, M. J. D. Osis, A. M. Pinto-Neto, and M. S. C. Gurgel, “Quality of life and sexuality of women treated for breast cancer,” Revista Brasileira de Ginecologia e Obstetricia, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 61–67, 2009.
- M. T. Nano, P. G. Gill, J. Kollias, M. A. Bochner, N. Carter, and H. R. Winefield, “Qualitative assessment of breast reconstruction in a specialist breast unit,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 445–453, 2005.
- R. J. Tsai, L. K. Dennis, C. F. Lynch, L. G. Snetselaar, G. K. D. Zamba, and C. Scott-Conner, “The risk of developing arm lymphedema among breast cancer survivors: a meta-analysis of treatment factors,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1959–1972, 2009.
- B. Fisher, S. Anderson, J. Bryant et al., “Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 16, pp. 1233–1241, 2002.
- J. A. Jacobson, D. N. Danforth, K. H. Cowan et al., “Ten-year results of a comparison of conservation with mastectomy in the treatment of stage I and II breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 14, pp. 907–911, 1995.
- U. Veronesi, N. Cascinelli, L. Mariani et al., “Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized study comparing breast-conserving surgery with radical mastectomy for early breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 16, pp. 1227–1232, 2002.
- G. M. Kiebert, J. C. J. M. de Haes, and C. J. H. van de Velde, “The impact of breast-conserving treatment and mastectomy on the quality of life of early-stage breast cancer patients: a review,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1059–1070, 1991.
- L. Irwig and A. Bennetts, “Quality of life after breast conservation or mastectomy: a systematic review,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 750–754, 1997.
- V. Arndt, C. Stegmaier, H. Ziegler, and H. Brenner, “Quality of life over 5 years in women with breast cancer after breast-conserving therapy versus mastectomy: a population-based study,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 134, no. 12, pp. 1311–1318, 2008.
- M Dorval, E Maunsell, L Deschênes, and J. Brisson, “Type of mastectomy and quality of life for long term breast carcinoma survivors,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 2130–2138, 1998.
- W. Janni, D. Rjosk, T. H. Dimpfl et al., “Quality of life influenced by primary surgical treatment for stage I-III breast cancer—long-term follow-up of a matched-pair analysis,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 542–548, 2001.
- L. Driul, S. Bernardi, S. Bertozzi, M. Schiavon, A. P. Londero, and R. Petri, “New surgical trends in breast cancer treatment: conservative interventions and oncoplastic breast surgery,” Minerva Ginecologica, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 289–296, 2013.
- R. R. Pillarisetti and G. Q. della Rovere, “Oncoplastic breast surgery,” The Indian Journal of Surgery, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 255–263, 2012.
- D. F. Veiga, J. Veiga-Filho, L. M. Ribeiro et al., “Quality-of-life and self-esteem outcomes after oncoplastic breast-conserving surgery,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 811–817, 2010.
- P. D. Maguire, A. Adams, and M. A. Nichols, “Oncoplastic surgery and radiation therapy for breast conservation: early outcomes,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2013.
- K. M. Patel, C. M. Hannan, M. E. Gatti, and M. Y. Nahabedian, “A head-to-head comparison of quality of life and aesthetic outcomes following immediate, staged-immediate, and delayed oncoplastic reduction mammaplasty,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 2167–2175, 2011.
- R. T. Anderson, G. G. Kimmick, F. Camacho et al., “Health system correlates of receipt of radiation therapy after breast-conserving surgery: a study of low-income medicaid-enrolled women,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 644–652, 2008.
- R. G. Roetzheim, T. N. Chirikos, K. J. Wells et al., “Managed care and cancer outcomes for medicare beneficiaries with disabilities,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 287–296, 2008.
- N. Coburn, J. Fulton, D. N. Pearlman, C. Law, B. DiPaolo, and B. Cady, “Treatment variation by insurance status for breast cancer patients,” The Breast Journal, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 128–134, 2008.
- L. Bailey, “Challenges and economics of private breast cancer surgery practice,” The Breast, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 297–302, 2010.
- S. Robertson, Y. Wengström, C. Eriksen, and K. Sandelin, “Breast surgeons performing immediate breast reconstruction with implants—assessment of resource-use and patient-reported outcome measures,” The Breast, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 590–596, 2012.