- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 264604, 8 pages
Profile of Gaze Dysfunction following Cerebrovascular Accident
1Department of Health Services Research, Thompson Yates Building, University of Liverpool, Brownlow Hill, Liverpool L69 3GB, UK
2Altnagelvin Hospitals HHS Trust, Altnagelvin BT47 6SB, UK
3NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Ayr KA6 6DX, UK
4Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Trust, Bath BA1 3NG, UK
5Bury Primary Care Trust, Bury BL9 7TD, UK
6Durham and Darlington Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Durham DH1 5TW, UK
7Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, Ipswich IP4 5PD, UK
8Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Gloucester GL1 3NN, UK
9St Helier General Hospital, Jersey JE2 3QS, UK
10University Hospital NHS Trust, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
11Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
12Salford Primary Care Trust, Salford M6 8HD, UK
13Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield S10 2TB, UK
14Swindon and Marlborough NHS Trust, Swindon SN3 6BB, UK
15Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Trust, Wigan WN1 2NN, UK
16Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, Worcester WR5 1DD, UK
Received 8 July 2013; Accepted 21 August 2013
Academic Editors: A. Daxer, R. Saxena, and I. J. Wang
Copyright © 2013 Fiona J. Rowe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Rowe, D. Brand, C. A. Jackson et al., “Visual impairment following stroke: do stroke patients require vision assessment?” Age and Ageing, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 188–193, 2009.
- M. S. Fowler, D. T. Wade, A. J. Richardson, and J. F. Stein, “Squints and diplopia seen after brain damage,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 243, no. 1, pp. 86–90, 1996.
- K. J. Ciuffreda, N. Kapoor, D. Rutner, I. B. Suchoff, M. E. Han, and S. Craig, “Occurrence of oculomotor dysfunctions in acquired brain injury: a retrospective analysis,” Optometry, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 155–161, 2007.
- C. MacIntosh, “Stroke re-visited: visual problems following stroke and their effect on rehabilitation,” British Orthoptic Journal, vol. 60, pp. 10–14, 2003.
- C. F. Freeman and N. B. Rudge, “Cerebrovascular accident and the orthoptist,” British Orthoptic Journal, no. 45, pp. 8–18, 1988.
- F. Rowe, D. Brand, C. A. Jackson et al., “Prevalence of ocular motor cranial nerve palsy and associations following stroke,” Eye, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 881–887, 2011.
- F. Rowe, D. Brand, C. A. Jackson et al., “The profile of strabismus in stroke survivors,” Eye, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 682–685, 2010.
- F. J. Rowe, D. Brand, C. A. Jackson et al., “The spectrum of nystagmus following cerebro-vascular accident,” British and Irish Orthoptic Journal, vol. 5, pp. 22–25, 2008.
- B. T. Troost, “Dizziness and vertigo in vertebrobasilar disease. Part I: peripheral and systemic causes of dizziness,” Stroke, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 301–303, 1980.
- B. T. Troost, “Dizziness and vertigo in vertebrobasilar disease. Part II. Central causes and vertebrobasilar disease,” Stroke, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 413–415, 1980.
- F. J. Rowe, D. Brand, C. A. Jackson et al., “Reading impairment following stroke: ocular and non ocular causes,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 6, pp. 404–411, 2011.
- R. A. Pedersen and B. T. Troost, “Abnormalities of gaze in cerebrovascular disease,” Stroke, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 251–254, 1981.
- A. C. Felicio, D. B. Bichuetti, L. F. Marin, W. A. C. dos Santos, and C. Godeiro-Junior, “Bilateral horizontal gaze palsy with unilateral peripheral facial paralysis caused by pontine tegmentum infarction,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 244–246, 2009.
- M. Alemdar, S. Kamaci, and F. Budak, “Unilateral midbrain infarction causing upward and downward gaze palsy,” Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 173–176, 2006.
- S. Kataoka, A. Hori, T. Shirakawa, and G. Hirose, “Paramedian pontine infarction: neurological/topographical correlation,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 809–815, 1997.
- D. Deleu, “Selective vertical saccadic palsy from unilateral medial thalamic infarction: clinical, neurophysiologic and MRI correlates,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 332–336, 1997.
- H. J. Cho, H. Y. Choi, Y. D. Kim, S. W. Seo, and J. H. Heo, “The clinical syndrome and etiological mechanism of infarction involving the nucleus prepositus hypoglossi,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 178–183, 2008.
- M. Karatas, “Internuclear and supranuclear disorders of eye movements: clinical features and causes,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1265–1277, 2009.
- F. J. Rowe, “Supranuclear and internuclear control of eye movements: a review,” British Orthoptic Journal, vol. 60, pp. 2–9, 2003.
- C. Pierrot-Deseilligny, “Nuclear, internuclear, and supranuclear ocular motor disorders,” Handbook of Clinical Neurology, vol. 102, pp. 319–331, 2011.
- L. Pickett and F. J. Rowe, “Enhancement of quality of life in progressive supranuclear palsy: a review of clinical practice elements,” British and Irish Orthoptic Journal, vol. 7, pp. 14–19, 2010.
- E. Lee, J. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, H. S. Song, S. M. Kim, and S. U. Kwon, “A small dorsal pontine infarction presenting with total gaze palsy including vertical saccades and pursuit,” Journal of Clinical Neurology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 208–211, 2007.
- M. J. Thurtell and G. M. Halmagyi, “Complete ophthalmoplegia: an unusual sign of bilateral paramedian midbrain-thalamic infarction,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1355–1357, 2008.
- E. Kumral, G. Bayülkem, and D. Evyapan, “Clinical spectrum of pontine infarction: clinical-MRI correlations,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 249, no. 12, pp. 1659–1670, 2002.
- J. S. Kim, “Internuclear ophthalmoplegia as an isolated or predominant symptom of brainstem infarction,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 1491–1496, 2004.
- J. R. Keane, “Internuclear ophthalmoplegia: unusual causes in 114 of 410 patients,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 714–717, 2005.
- P. E. Jiménez Caballero, “Bilateral paramedian thalamic artery infarcts: report of 10 cases,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 283–289, 2010.
- P. J. Ranalli, J. A. Sharpe, and W. A. Fletcher, “Palsy of upward and downward saccadic, pursuit, and vestibular movements with a unilateral midbrain lesion: pathophysiologic correlations,” Neurology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 114–122, 1988.
- D. Braun, H. Weber, T. Mergner, and J. Schulte-Monting, “Saccadic reaction times in patients with frontal and parietal lesions,” Brain, vol. 115, part 5, pp. 1359–1386, 1992.
- J. Zihl, “Visual scanning behavior in patients with homonymous hemianopia,” Neuropsychologia, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 287–303, 1995.
- A. L. M. Pambakian, S. K. Mannan, T. L. Hodgson, and C. Kennard, “Saccadic visual search training: a treatment for patients with homonymous hemianopia,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 1443–1448, 2004.
- S. Khan, E. Leung, and W. M. Jay, “Stroke and visual rehabilitation,” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 27–36, 2008.
- K. J. Ciuffreda, D. Rutner, N. Kapoor, I. B. Suchoff, S. Craig, and M. E. Han, “Vision therapy for oculomotor dysfunctions in acquired brain injury: a retrospective analysis,” Optometry, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 18–22, 2008.
- E. C. Campos, C. Schiavi, and C. Bellusci, “Surgical management of anomalous head posture because of horizontal gaze palsy or acquired vertical nystagmus,” Eye, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 587–592, 2003.
- R. Murthy, E. Dawson, S. Khan, G. G. Adams, and J. Lee, “Botulinum toxin in the management of internuclear ophthalmoplegia,” Journal of AAPOS, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 456–459, 2007.
- E. G. Buckley and S. Holgado, “Surgical treatment of upgaze palsy in Parinaud's syndrome,” Journal of AAPOS, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 249–253, 2004.
- A. C. Spielmann, “Convergence excess associated with neurological diseases: surgical treatment,” Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 432–437, 2006.
- R. Cracknell, The Ageing Population. Key Issues for the New Parliament 2010, House of Commons Library Research, 2010.
- 2011, http://nihss-english.trainingcampus.net/uas/modules/trees/windex.aspx.
- F. J. Rowe, D. Brand, C. A. Jackson et al., “Accuracy of referrals for visual assessment in a stroke population,” Eye, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 161–167, 2011.