- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 215251, 10 pages
Granules in Granular Cell Lesions of the Head and Neck: A Review
1Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Sri Rajiv Gandhi College of Dental Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka 560032, India
2Sri Rajiv Gandhi College of Dental Sciences, Cholanagar, Hebbal, R.T. Nagar post, Karnataka 560032, Bangalore, India
Received 9 May 2011; Accepted 11 June 2011
Academic Editors: G. Acs and A. B. Galosi
Copyright © 2011 T. Lakkashetty Yogesh and S. V. Sowmya. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. P. Sunderland, R. Sunderland, and C. J. Smith, “Granular cells associated with the enamel organ of a developing tooth,” Journal of Oral Pathology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1983.
- K. E. Schoedel, S. Bastacky, and A. Silverman, “An S100 negative granular cell tumor with malignant potential: report of a case,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 894–898, 1998.
- M. Nasu, M. Takagi, and H. Yamamoto, “Ultrastructural and histochemical studies of granular-cell ameloblastoma,” Journal of Oral Pathology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 448–456, 1984.
- J. A. Regezi, R. J. Zarbo, R. M. Courtney, and J. D. Crissman, “Immunoreactivity of granular cell lesions of skin, mucosa, and jaw,” Cancer, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1455–1460, 1989.
- G. H. Rühl and E. Akuamoa-Boateng, “Granular cells in odontogenic and non-odontogenic tumors,” Virchows Archiv A, vol. 415, no. 5, pp. 403–409, 1989.
- A. Deshpande, P. Umap, and M. Munshi, “Granular cell ameloblastoma of the jaw: a report of two cases with fine needle aspiration cytology,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2000.
- K. Takahashi, T. Kitajima, M. Lee, et al., “Granular cell ameloblastoma of the mandible with metastasis to the third thoracic vertebra. A case report,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 197, pp. 171–180, 1985.
- G. H. Kumamoto and K. Ooya, “Immunohistochemical and ultrastructural investigation of apoptotic cell death in granular cell ameloblastoma,” Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 245–250, 2001.
- R. B. Brannon, R. K. Goode, L. R. Eversole, and R. F. Carr, “The central granular cell odontogenic tumor: report of 5 new cases,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 614–621, 2002.
- Y. Takeda, “Granular cell ameloblastic fibroma, ultrastructure and histogenesis,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 190–195, 1986.
- S. D. Vincent, H. L. Hammond, G. L. Ellis, and J. P. Juhlin, “Central granular cell odontogenic fibroma,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 715–721, 1987.
- A. T. Mesquita, C. R. Santos, R. S. Gomez, J. Jorge, J. E. León, and O. P. de Almeida, “Central granular cell odontogenic tumor: a histopathologic and immunohistochemical study,” Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 405–412, 2009.
- M. Altini, J. J. Hille, and A. Buchner, “Plexiform granular cell odontogenic tumor,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 163–167, 1986.
- C. A. Waldron, C. W. Thompson, and W. A. Conner, “Granular-cell ameloblastic fibroma. Report of two cases,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1202–1213, 1963.
- D. K. White, S. Y. Chen, K. S. Hartman, A. S. Miller, and L. F. Gomez, “Central granular cell tumor of the jaws (the so-called granular-cell ameloblastic fibroma),” Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 396–405, 1978.
- A. P. Chaudhry, C. T. Hanks, C. Leifer, and E. A. Gargiulo, “Calcifying epithelial odontogenic tumor. A histochemical and ultrastructural study,” Cancer, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 519–529, 1972.
- N. A. Abaza, L. Gold, and E. Lally, “Granular cell odontogenic cyst: a unicystic ameloblastoma with late recurrence as follicular ameloblastoma,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 168–175, 1989.
- S. Sargenti-Neto, M. T. Brazão-Silva, K. C. do Nascimento Souza et al., “Multicentric granular cell tumor: report of a patient with oral and cutaneous lesions,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 62–64, 2009.
- J. R. Basile and S.-B. Woo, “Polypoid S-100-negative granular cell tumor of the oral cavity: a case report and review of literature,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2003.
- A. Eguia, A. Uribarri, C. G. Escoda, M. A. Crovetto, R. Martínez-Conde, and J. M. Aguirre, “Granular cell tumor: report of 8 intraoral cases,” Medicina Oral, Patología Oral y Cirugía Bucal, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. E425–E428, 2006.
- D. M. Alessi and M. C. Zimmerman, “Granular cell tumors of the head and neck,” Laryngoscope, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 810–814, 1988.
- T. Mentzel, C. Wadden, and C. D. M. Fletcher, “Granular cell change in smooth muscle tumours of skin and soft tissue,” Histopathology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 223–231, 1994.
- M. Lerman and P. D. Freedman, “Nonneural granular cell tumor of the oral cavity: a case report and review of the literature,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 382–384, 2007.
- S. E. Thawley and J. H. Ogura, “Granular cell myoblastoma of the head and neck,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 1020–1024, 1974.
- A. Giménez-Bascuñana and F. M. Piqueras-Pérez, “Granular cell traumatic neuroma of salivary gland,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 125, no. 8, pp. 1000–1001, 2001.
- R. Rosso, M. Scelsi, and L. Carnevali, “Granular cell traumatic neuroma: a lesion occurring in mastectomy scars,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 709–711, 2000.
- J. Dash, P. Sahoo, and S. Das, “Congenital granular cell lesion “congenital epulis”- report of a case,” Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 63–67, 2004.
- A. M. Loyola, A. F. Gatti, D. S. Pinto Jr, and R. A. Mesquita, “Alveolar and extra-alveolar granular cell lesions of the newborn: report of case and review of literature,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 668–671, 1997.
- I. Bhattacharyya, D.-J. Summerlin, D. M. Cohen, G. L. Ellis, J. B. Bavitz, and L. L. Gillham, “Granular cell leiomyoma of the oral cavity,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 353–359, 2006.
- Y. Dobashi, K. Iwabuchi, J. Nakahata, K. Yanagimoto, and T. Kameya, “Combined clear and granular cell leiomyoma of soft tissue: evidence of transformation to a histiocytic phenotype,” Histopathology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 526–531, 1999.
- I. G. Koutlas, S. E. Pambuccian, J. Jessurun, J. C. Manivel, and R. Gopalakrishnan, “Perivascular epithelioid cell tumor of the oral mucosa,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 690–693, 2005.
- J. Kanitakis and B. Chouvet, “Granular-cell basal cell carcinoma of the skin,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 301–303, 2005.
- R. E. Mrak and G. F. Baker, “Granular cell basal cell carcinoma,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 1987.
- M. Ladanyi, C. R. Antonescu, M. Drobnjak et al., “The precrystalline cytoplasmic granules of alveolar soft part sarcoma contain monocarboxylate transporter 1 and CD147,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 1215–1221, 2002.
- A. L. Folpe and A. T. Deyrup, “Alveolar soft-part sarcoma: a review and update,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1127–1132, 2006.
- T. O. Nielsen, G. Séjean, and R. M. Onerheim, “Paraganglioma of the tongue,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. 877–879, 2000.
- H. I. Lee, J. W. Lee, T. Y. Han et al., “A case of dermatofibroma of the upper lip,” Annals of Dermatology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 333–336, 2010.
- F. Aloi, D. Albertazzi, and M. Pippione, “Dermatofibroma with granular cells: a report of two cases,” Dermatology, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 54–56, 1999.
- T. R. Helliwel, M. C. Sissons, P. J. Stoney, and M. T. Ashworth, “Immunochemistry and electron microscopy of head and neck rhabdomyoma,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1058–1063, 1988.
- P. E. LeBoit, R. J. Barr, S. Burall, J. S. Metcalf, T. S. B. Yen, and M. R. Wick, “Primitive polypoid granular-cell tumor and other cutaneous granular-cell neoplasms of apparent nonneural origin,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 1991.
- R. Mirchandani, J. J. Sciubba, and R. Mir, “Granular cell lesions of the jaws and oral cavity: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1248–1255, 1989.
- A. C. Stîngă, A. S. Stîngă, C. Simionescu, C. Mărgăritescu, and M. Cruce, “Histopathological study of renal cell carcinoma,” Current Health Sciences Journal, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 2009.
- L. D. Thompson, B. M. Wenig, and G. L. Ellis, “Oncocytomas of the submandibular gland: a series of 22 cases and a review of the literature,” Cancer, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 2281–2287, 1996.
- M. Shintaku and T. Honda, “Identification of oncocytic lesions of salivary glands by anti- mitochondrial immunohistochemistry,” Histopathology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 408–411, 1997.
- G. Giordano, M. Gabrielli, L. Gnetti, and T. Ferri, “Oncocytic carcinoma of parotid gland: a case report with clinical, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural features,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, article 54, 2006.
- L. Corcione, G. Giordano, L. Gnetti, A. Multinu, and S. Ferrari, “Oncocytic mucoepidermoid carcinoma of a submandibular gland: a case report and review of the literature,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 560–563, 2007.
- T. D. Daley, G. P. Wysocki, M. S. Smout, and R. P. Slinger, “Short communication & case report: epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of salivary glands,” Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 512–519, 1984.
- K. Mardi and J. Sharma, “Oncocytic carcinoma: a rare malignancy of the parotid gland,” The Internet Journal of Pathology, vol. 8, no. 2, 2009.
- M. J. Franzblau, M. Manwaring, C. Plumhof, M. B. Listrom, and W. H. C. Burgdorf, “Metastatic breast carcinoma mimicking granular cell tumor,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 218–221, 1989.
- S. Rai, R. Naik, M. R. Pai, and A. Gupta, “Metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma presenting as a gingival mass,” Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 446–447, 2009.
- B. Zelger, R. Cerio, G. Orchard, and E. Wilson-Jones, “Juvenile and adult xanthogranuloma: a histological and immunohistochemical comparison,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 126–135, 1994.
- A. Consolaro, E. Sant'Ana, M. A. Lawall, M. F. Consolaro, and C. E. Bacchi, “Gingival juvenile xanthogranuloma in an adult patient: case report with immunohistochemical analysis and literature review,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 246–252, 2009.
- M. G. Hitchcock, M. A. Hurt, and D. J. Santa Cruz, “Cutaneous granular cell angiosarcoma,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 256–262, 1994.