- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 763783, 7 pages
Screening for Celiac Disease in Children with Dental Enamel Defects
1Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
2Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
3Department of Orthodontic and Pediatric, Faculty of Dentistry, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
4Ministry of Health, Cairo, Egypt
Received 21 March 2012; Accepted 17 April 2012
Academic Editors: M. S. Anderson and H. Neville
Copyright © 2012 Mostafa Abdel-Aziz El-Hodhod et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Pastore, A. Carroccio, D. Compilato, V. Panzarella, R. Serpico, and L. L. Muzio, “Oral manifestations of Celiac disease,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 224–232, 2008.
- A. Tommasini, T. Not, V. Kiren et al., “Mass screening for coeliac disease using antihuman transglutaminase antibody assay,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 512–515, 2004.
- A. Carroccio, E. Iannitto, F. Cavataio et al., “Sideropenic anemia and Celiac disease: one study, two points of view,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 673–678, 1998.
- P. Bucci, F. Carile, A. Sangianantoni, F. D'Angiò, A. Santarelli, and L. L. Muzio, “Oral aphthous ulcers and dental enamel defects in children with coeliac disease,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 203–207, 2006.
- L. Aine, M. Maki, O. Keyrilainen, and P. Collin, “Dental enamel defects in Celiac disease,” Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 241–245, 1990.
- S. Petrecca, G. Giammaria, and A. F. Giammaria, “Oral cavity changes in the child with Celiac disease,” Minerva Stomatologica, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 137–140, 1994.
- M. Bossù, A. Bartoli, G. Orsini, E. Luppino, and A. Polimeni, “Enamel hypoplasia in coeliac children: a potential clinical marker of early diagnosis,” European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2007.
- J. M. Aguirre, R. Rodríguez, D. Oribe, and J. C. Vitoria, “Dental enamel defects in Celiac patients,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 646–650, 1997.
- M. Maki, L. Aine, V. Lipsanen, and S. Koskimies, “Dental enamel defects in first-degree relatives of coeliac disease patients,” The Lancet, vol. 337, no. 8744, pp. 763–764, 1991.
- M. Mäki, S. Sulkanen, and P. Collin, “Antibodies in relation to gluten intake,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 330–332, 1998.
- W. K. Seow, “Enamel hypoplasia in the primary dentition: a review,” ASDC Journal of Dentistry for Children, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 441–452, 1991.
- L. Abenavoli, L. Proietti, L. Leggio et al., “Cutaneous manifestations in Celiac disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 843–852, 2006.
- WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study Group, “WHO child growth standards based on length/height, weight and age,” Acta Paediatrica. Supplement, vol. 450, pp. 76–85, 2006.
- W. K. Seow, “Clinical diagnosis of enamel defects: pitfalls and practical guidelines,” International Dental Journal, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 173–182, 1997.
- FDI Commission on Oral Health, “Research and epidemiology: a review of the developmental defects of enamel index (DDE index),” International Dental Journal, vol. 42, pp. 411–426, 1992.
- L. F. Pereira, A. M. Sapina, J. Arroyo, J. Vinuelas, R. M. Bardaji, and L. Prieto, “Prevalence of selective IgA deficiency in Spain: more than we thought,” Blood, vol. 90, no. 2, article 893, 1997.
- I. D. Hill, M. H. Dirks, G. S. Liptak et al., “Guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of Celiac disease in children: recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2005.
- A. Avşar and A. G. Kalayci, “The presence and distribution of dental enamel defects and caries in children with Celiac disease,” Turkish Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2008.
- C. D. Wierink, D. E. van Diermen, I. H. A. Aartman, and H. S. A. Heymans, “Dental enamel defects in children with coeliac disease,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 163–168, 2007.
- E. O. Páez, P. J. Lafuente, P. B. García, J. M. Lozano, and J. C. L. Calvo, “Prevalence of dental enamel defects in Celiac patients with deciduous dentition: a pilot study,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 74–78, 2008.
- M. Procaccini, G. Campisi, P. Bufo et al., “Lack of association between Celiac disease and dental enamel hypoplasia in a case-control study from an Italian central region,” Head and Face Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, article 25, 2007.
- M. Abu-Zekry, D. Kryszak, M. Diab, C. Catassi, and A. Fasano, “Prevalence of Celiac disease in egyptian children disputes the east west agriculture-dependent spread of the disease,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 136–140, 2008.
- A. Fasano, I. Berti, T. Gerarduzzi et al., “Prevalence of Celiac disease in at-risk and not-at-risk groups in the United States: a large multicenter study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 286–292, 2003.
- M. Mäki, K. Mustalahti, J. Kokkonen et al., “Prevalence of Celiac disease among children in Finland,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 25, pp. 2517–2524, 2003.
- C. Catassi, I. M. Rätsch, L. Gandolfi et al., “Why is coeliac disease endemic in the people of the Sahara?” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9179, pp. 647–648, 1999.
- C. Ciacci, P. Iovino, D. Amoruso et al., “Grown-up coeliac children: the effects of only a few years on a gluten-free diet in childhood,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 421–429, 2005.
- Z. Kuloǧlu, C. T. Kirsaçlioǧlu, A. Kansu, A. Ensari, and N. Girgin, “Celiac disease: presentation of 109 children,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 617–623, 2009.
- G. Dinler, E. Atalay, and A. G. KalaycI, “Celiac disease in 87 children with typical and atypical symptoms in Black Sea region of Turkey,” World Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 282–286, 2009.
- W. Holtmeier, J. Henker, E. O. Riecken, and K. P. Zimmer, “Definitions of Celiac disease—statement of an expert group from the German society for Celiac disease,” Zeitschrift fur Gastroenterologie, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 751–754, 2005.
- C. H. Priovolou, A. P. Vanderas, and L. Papagiannoulis, “A comparative study on the prevalence of enamel defects and dental caries in children and adolescents with and without coeliac disease,” European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 102–106, 2004.
- E. Roma, J. Panayiotou, H. Karantana et al., “Changing pattern in the clinical presentation of pediatric Celiac disease: a 30-year study,” Digestion, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 185–191, 2009.
- F. Cataldo, V. Marino, G. Bottaro, P. Greco, and A. Ventura, “Celiac disease and selective immunoglobulin A deficiency,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 306–308, 1997.
- V. Kumar, M. Jarzabek-Chorzelska, J. Sulej, K. Karnewska, T. Farrell, and S. Jablonska, “Celiac disease and immunoglobulin A deficiency: how effective are the serological methods of diagnosis?” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1295–1300, 2002.
- K. E. McGowan, M. E. Lyon, and J. D. Butzner, “Celiac disease and IgA deficiency: complications of serological testing approaches encountered in the clinic,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1203–1209, 2008.
- H. E. Prince, G. L. Norman, and W. L. Binder, “Immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency and alternative Celiac disease- associated antibodies in sera submitted to a reference laboratory for endomysial IgA testing,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 192–196, 2000.
- C. C. Barker, C. Mitton, G. Jevon, and T. Mock, “Can tissue transglutaminase antibody titers replace small-bowel biopsy to diagnose Celiac disease in select pediatric populations?” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 1341–1346, 2005.
- A. W. Chan, J. D. Butzner, R. McKenna, and M. J. Fritzler, “Tissue transglutaminase enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay as a screening test for Celiac disease in pediatric patients,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 1, article E8, 2001.
- M. Rashid, A. Cranney, M. Zarkadas et al., “Celiac disease: evaluation of the diagnosis and dietary compliance in Canadian children,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. e754–e759, 2005.
- G. Praticò, L. Caltabiano, G. Bottaro, G. M. Palano, N. Rotolo, and M. Spina, “Calcium-phosphorus metabolism in Celiac disease in children,” La Pediatria Medica e Chirurgica, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 403–406, 1995.
- C. Zanchi, G. Di Leo, L. Ronfani, S. Martelossi, T. Not, and A. Ventura, “Bone metabolism in Celiac disease,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 262–265, 2008.
- G. Barera, S. Mora, P. Brambilla et al., “Body composition in children with Celiac disease and the effects of a gluten-free diet: a prospective case-control study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 71–75, 2000.
- G. M. Damen, B. Boersma, J. M. Wit, and H. S. A. Heymans, “Catch-up growth in 60 children with Celiac disease,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 394–400, 1994.