- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 861246, 8 pages
Ethnic Background and Overweight among 5-Year-Old Children: The “Be Active, Eat Right” Study
1Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Dr. Molewaterplein 50, P.O. Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2Institute of Health Sciences, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, VU University Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1085, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3Department of Public and Occupational Health, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, P.O. Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 1 July 2013; Accepted 3 September 2013
Academic Editors: J. Otten, M. Sánchez-Solís, and S. A. Sarker
Copyright © 2013 Lydian Veldhuis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. B. Ebbeling, D. B. Pawlak, and D. S. Ludwig, “Childhood obesity: public-health crisis, common sense cure,” Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9331, pp. 473–482, 2002.
- T. Lobstein, L. Baur, and R. Uauy, “Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 4–104, 2004.
- World Health Organization, “Obesity and overweight,” Factsheet 311, World Health Organization, 2011, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/.
- W. H. Dietz, “Health consequences of obesity in youth: childhood predictors of adult disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 518–525, 1998.
- K. L. Rennie, L. Johnson, and S. A. Jebb, “Behavioural determinants of obesity,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 343–358, 2005.
- S. K. Kumanyika, “Environmental influences on childhood obesity: ethnic and cultural influences in context,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 61–70, 2008.
- L. D. Ritchie, G. Welk, D. Styne, D. E. Gerstein, and P. B. Crawford, “Family environment and pediatric overweight: what is a parent to do?” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. S70–S79, 2005.
- S. Danielzik, M. Czerwinski-Mast, K. Langnäse, B. Dilba, and M. J. Müller, “Parental overweight, socioeconomic status and high birth weight are the major determinants of overweight and obesity in 5-7 y-old children: baseline data of the Kiel Obesity Prevention Study (KOPS),” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1494–1502, 2004.
- J. H. Brussaard, M. A. van Erp-Baart, H. A. M. Brants, K. F. A. M. Hulshof, and M. R. H. Löwik, “Nutrition and health among migrants in the Netherlands,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 659–664, 2001.
- A. M. Fredriks, S. van Buuren, R. A. Hira Sing, J. M. Wit, and S. P. Verloove-Vanhorick, “Alarming prevalences of overweight and obesity for children of Turkish, Moroccan and Dutch origin in the Netherlands according to international standards,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 496–498, 2005.
- Y. Wang and M. A. Beydoun, “The obesity epidemic in the United States—gender, age, socioeconomic, racial/ethnic, and geographic characteristics: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 6–28, 2007.
- J. Kuepper-Nybelen, A. Lamerz, N. Bruning, J. Hebebrand, B. Herpertz-Dahlmann, and H. Brenner, “Major differences in prevalence of overweight according to nationality in preschool children living in Germany: determinants and public health implications,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 359–363, 2005.
- G. K. Singh, M. D. Kogan, P. C. van Dyck, and M. Siahpush, “Racial/ethnic, socioeconomic, and behavioral determinants of childhood and adolescent obesity in the United States: analyzing independent and joint associations,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 682–695, 2008.
- S. Kirchengast and E. Schober, “To be an immigrant: a risk factor for developing overweight and obesity during childhood and adolescence?” Journal of Biosocial Science, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 695–705, 2006.
- S. Bongard, S. F. Pogge, H. Arslaner, S. Rohrmann, and V. Hodapp, “Acculturation and cardiovascular reactivity of second-generation Turkish migrants in Germany,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 795–803, 2002.
- R. T. Kimbro, J. Brooks-Gunn, and S. McLanahan, “Racial and ethnic differentials in overweight and obesity among 3-year-old children,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 298–305, 2007.
- S. Caprio, S. R. Daniels, A. Drewnowski et al., “Influence of race, ethnicity, and culture on childhood obesity: implications for prevention and treatment,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 2566–2577, 2008.
- E. M. Taveras, M. W. Gillman, K. Kleinman, J. W. Rich-Edwards, and S. L. Rifas-Shiman, “Racial/ethnic differences in early-life risk factors for childhood obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 686–695, 2010.
- Y. Wang, “Disparities in pediatric obesity in the United States,” Advances in Nutrition, vol. 2, pp. 23–31, 2011.
- L. M. Rossen and K. C. Schoendorf, “Measuring health disparities: trends in racial-ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in obesity among 2- to 18-year old youth in the United States, 2001–2010,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 698–704, 2012.
- A. M. El-Sayed, P. Scarborough, and S. Galea, “Ethnic inequalities in obesity among children and adults in the UK: a systematic review of the literature,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 501, pp. e516–e534, 2011.
- J. A. de Wilde, P. van Dommelen, B. J. C. Middelkoop, and P. H. Verkerk, “Trends in overweight and obesity prevalence in Dutch, Turkish, Moroccan and Surinamese South Asian children in the Netherlands,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 795–800, 2009.
- M. L. de Hoog, M. van Eijsden, K. Stronks, R. J. Gemke, and T. G. Vrijkotte, “Overweight at age two years in a multi-ethnic cohort (ABCD study): the role of prenatal factors, birth outcomes and postnatal factors,” BMC Public Health, vol. 11, article 611, 2011.
- R. C. Whitaker, “Obesity prevention in pediatric primary care: four behaviors to target,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 8, pp. 725–727, 2003.
- A. M. W. Bulk-Bunschoten, C. M. Renders, F. J. M. van Leerdam, and R. A. HiraSing, Youth Health Care Overweight-Prevention-Protocol, Department of Public and Occupational Health, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2005.
- M. M. Davis, B. Gance-Cleveland, S. Hassink, R. Johnson, G. Paradis, and K. Resnicow, “Recommendations for prevention of childhood obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, supplement 4, pp. S229–S253, 2007.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, supplement 4, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- L. A. Moreno and G. Rodriguez, “Dietary risk factors for development of childhood obesity,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 336–341, 2007.
- S. Harding, A. Teyhan, M. J. Maynard, and J. K. Cruickshank, “Ethnic differences in overweight and obesity in early adolescence in the MRC DASH study: the role of adolescent and parental lifestyle,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 162–172, 2008.
- E. Waters, R. Ashbolt, L. Gibbs et al., “Double disadvantage: the influence of ethnicity over socioeconomic position on childhood overweight and obesity: findings from an inner urban population of primary school children,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 196–204, 2008.
- L. Veldhuis, M. K. Struijk, W. Kroeze et al., ““Be active, eat right”, evaluation of an overweight prevention protocol among 5-year-old children: design of a cluster randomised controlled trial,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 177, 2009.
- C. M. Renders, J. Halberstadt, C. S. Frenkel, P. Rosenmöller, J. C. Seidell, and R. A. Hirasing, “Tackling the problem of overweight and obesity: the Dutch approach,” Obesity Facts, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 267–272, 2010.
- Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (Statistics Netherlands), Migrants in the Netherlands 2004, Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, Heerlen, The Netherlands, 2004.
- A. M. W. Bulk-Bunschoten, C. M. Renders, F. J. M. van Leerdam, and R. A. HiraSing, Youth Health Care Overweight-Detection-Protocol, Department of Public and Occupational Health, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2004.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- V. S. Malik, M. B. Schulze, and F. B. Hu, “Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: a systematic review,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 274–288, 2006.
- S. E. Anderson, C. D. Economos, and A. Must, “Active play and screen time in US children aged 4 to 11 years in relation to sociodemographic and weight status characteristics: a nationally representative cross-sectional analysis,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 366, 2008.
- K. R. Laurson, J. C. Eisenmann, G. J. Welk, E. E. Wickel, D. A. Gentile, and D. A. Walsh, “Combined influence of physical activity and screen time recommendations on childhood overweight,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 209–214, 2008.
- G. C. Rampersaud, M. A. Pereira, B. L. Girard, J. Adams, and J. D. Metzl, “Breakfast habits, nutritional status, body weight, and academic performance in children and adolescents,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 743–760, 2005.
- Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (Statistics Netherlands), The Dutch Standard Classification of Education, Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, Heerlen, The Netherlands, 2004.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, “Committee on public education: children, adolescents, and television,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 423–426, 2001.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, “Committee on nutrition: the use and misuse of fruit juice in pediatrics,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 1210–1213, 2001.
- F. E. Harrell, Regression Modeling Strategies: With Applications to Linear Models, Logistic Regression, and Survival Analysis, Springer, 2001.
- H. van de Mheen, K. Stronks, J. van den Bos, and J. P. Mackenbach, “The contribution of childhood environment to the explanation of socio-economic inequalities in health in adult life: a retrospective study,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 1997.
- L. M. Silva, M. Coolman, E. A. P. Steegers et al., “Low socioeconomic status is a risk factor for preeclampsia: the generation R study,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1200–1208, 2008.
- K. Stronks, I. Kulu-Glasgow, and C. Agyemang, “The utility of “country of birth” for the classification of ethnic groups in health research: the Dutch experience,” Ethnicity & Health, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1–14, 2009.
- K. M. Sussner, A. C. Lindsay, and K. E. Peterson, “The influence of maternal acculturation on child body mass index at age 24 months,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 218–225, 2009.
- P. A. Braveman, C. Cubbin, S. Egerter et al., “Socioeconomic status in health research: one size does not fit all,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 22, pp. 2879–2888, 2005.
- S. Sue and M. K. Dhindsa, “Ethnic and racial health disparities research: issues and problems,” Health Education and Behavior, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 459–469, 2006.
- E. Simsek, S. Akpinar, T. Bahcebasi, D. A. Senses, and K. Kocabay, “The prevalence of overweight and obese children aged 6–17 years in the West Black Sea region of Turkey,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 1033–1038, 2008.